Opinions wanted - certain foods causing belly fat - even in the underweight?

Options
Sp1tfire
Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So I have a stubborn little bit of fat over my abs. I can see the outline of them - but if I do a quick jump in front of the mirror I can see a layer around my belly button jiggle. After a quick google search before hopping on here to gather opinions, I found a random thread of sparkpeople http://www.sparkpeople.com/ma/Petite-girl-(underweight)-with-belly-fat/7/1/21874817 Note: Link breaks
Where people say that certain foods (carbs, sugar, anything processed) will cause fat gain and cause it to collect in certain areas. What is your opinion of this? I am very frustrated to be collecting a little fat in this area. I am 5'7" 115 lbs. I know part of this can be attributed to just being a woman, but I'm really looking to shred down this area. My doctor says I shouldn't lose any weight though. I've looked into recomp, but I'm looking for opinions just on the 'cut X food because it causes fat to 'move' and 'collect' in the belly area.'

Replies

• mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    So I have a stubborn little bit of fat over my abs. I can see the outline of them - but if I do a quick jump in front of the mirror I can see a layer around my belly button jiggle. After a quick google search before hopping on here to gather opinions, I found a random thread of sparkpeople http://www.sparkpeople.com/ma/Petite-girl-(underweight)-with-belly-fat/7/1/21874817 Note: Link breaks
    Where people say that certain foods (carbs, sugar, anything processed) will cause fat gain and cause it to collect in certain areas. What is your opinion of this? I am very frustrated to be collecting a little fat in this area. I am 5'7" 115 lbs. I know part of this can be attributed to just being a woman, but I'm really looking to shred down this area. My doctor says I shouldn't lose any weight though. I've looked into recomp, but I'm looking for opinions just on the 'cut X food because it causes fat to 'move' and 'collect' in the belly area.'

carbs, sugar, insulin spikes usually cause bloating in the belly , if you go on a low carb diet it will decrease your belly size a lot after 3weeks, but it's mostly from water not from fat. when you eat carbs again it will bloat once again, so what you need to do is to lose a little bit of fat percentage to get rid of the belly fat, stick to a diet with a caloric deficit and keep your carb intake to about 25-30%
  • Sp1tfire
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Nope, foods don't cause you to collect fat in specific areas of the body, genetics do. Recomp's a great idea, and I'll bet after you've put some time into it you'll be really happy with the results.

Do you know of any good articles I could read about the genetic role of fat disposition?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Nope, foods don't cause you to collect fat in specific areas of the body, genetics do. Recomp's a great idea, and I'll bet after you've put some time into it you'll be really happy with the results.

I second this!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • Sp1tfire
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Where people say that certain foods (carbs, sugar, anything processed)......
    Woo.

One of the areas where that theory falls down is that carbs are rarely converted to body fat.
    Virtually all food is "processed" in one way or another - it doesn't prevent your digestion breaking them down into their component parts, just the same as your digestion does with unprocessed foods.

You are light for your weight, just adding a little muscle can make a big difference.

I have been eating in a slight surplus on my heavy lifting days. By slight I mean I actually eat back all the exercise calories I get. I figure the degree of inaccuracy in them will be a slight enough surplus. Do you have a favorite article with information about 'clean' bulk, and if there are any, information that is specific to women if they have other specific needs to 'clean' bulk?
  • Sp1tfire
    Options
    Oh and yes, the jiggle is fat because I only reference my stomach in the mirror right when I wake up and before I eat anything.
  • mohamedahmed07
    Options

carbs, sugar, insulin spikes usually cause bloating in the belly , if you go on a low carb diet it will decrease your belly size a lot after 3weeks, but it's mostly from water not from fat. when you eat carbs again it will bloat once again, so what you need to do is to lose a little bit of fat percentage to get rid of the belly fat, stick to a diet with a caloric deficit and keep your carb intake to about 25-30%

anything can cause bloating, its not just carbs(which are sugar), low carb diet does not guarantee anything when it comes to belly fat. you cannot spot reduce fat, please stop with the misinformation.how do you know if his/her belly fat is from water or other things? you dont.

Welp, if you give it a try you will know what I'm talking about, people don't believe unless they try, water or not, insulin hormone places the fat around the waist (belly area) and lowering carbs, no sugars counters that until you load up carbs again
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You say you are in a surplus.. but are you gaining weight? Eating back your exercise calories may not be enough to get you there.

But when you increase your calories extra food can cause bloating​.. too much fibre, volume of food etc. Unless you have a food intolerance. I just ran a bulk heavy in carbs, sugars (like candy) and stuff like that and I remained fairly lean.. also I had no bloating issues. Only on the days I had too much fibre, esp cabbage.. :D

With your stats you could be seeing fat that isn't there or just be undermuscled.

I would second heading over to the gaining section and reading the stickies at the top.
  • Sp1tfire
    Options
    Thanks @sijomial and @sardelsa I'll wander over there and see if i can find some stuff!
  • mohamedahmed07
    Options

anything can cause bloating, its not just carbs(which are sugar), low carb diet does not guarantee anything when it comes to belly fat. you cannot spot reduce fat, please stop with the misinformation.how do you know if his/her belly fat is from water or other things? you dont.

Welp, if you give it a try you will know what I'm talking about, people don't believe unless they try, water or not, insulin hormone places the fat around the waist (belly area) and lowering carbs, no sugars counters that until you load up carbs again

first of all no it doesnt eating too much causes fat. secondly. I have tried low carb/keto before I knew I had a metabolic disorder and that my body cannot produce fats/cholesterol efficiently. therefore keto for me is a NO GO as it can cause me some serious health issues. Im on a high carb diet and I have lost a LOT of belly fat just from a caloric deficit.

insulin hormones do not replace fat around the belly area, some peoples genetics cause them to store more fat in their stomach than others. my mom is skinny and has belly fat, no insulin issues, my sister is thin everywhere BUT her belly and no insulin issues there. keto is not a magical fat loss diet,it doesnt spot reduce fat either. if you lost it from your belly before anywhere else then its due to your genetics.

when I was young, I ate all kinds of sugar/carbs and I was at a healthy weight and had a flat stomach, I didnt get fat until I got to my 30s and started being less active and eating more. I never had to count calories or lose weight before. stop telling people that keto is a cure all for fat, and it will spot reduce. it doesnt work that way.

you're right, but if you take a look at what I said, I said it eliminates bloating, I suggested going into a calorie deficit to lose fat, if it's bloating, well, mostly carbs do the bloating, or digestive issues, if it is not bloating, then you have some fat you need to get rid of, go on a caloric deficit, that's what I pointed out.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your goals are realistic? You are at an underweight BMI - I'm not sure any fat around your belly is large enough to be noticeable.
  • mohamedahmed07
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

It seems like OP's goal is to bulk. Carbs are actually very beneficial during a bulk as they help optimize muscle synthesis.

I eat tons of carbs and never have issues. I have nothing wrong with keto or low carb but having a diet high in carbs does not automatically lead to belly weight gain.

Agreed