Ate Greek yogurt for the first time...

Options
13»

Replies

• celestestar
    celestestar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I quite like the "Farmers Union greek yogurt with a hint of vanilla bean", i haven't eaten yogurt in a long time and this is the first greek yogurt i've ever eaten.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    cpage86 wrote: »
    O.M.G.

Longest 10 minutes of my life.

Wife said "that smells great" i says "that's what it's supposed to smell like?"

Anyways, it's the small victories that lead to results. I got through it, and I'll have another go tomorrow, and the next day, actually the next 8 days since I bought a box. Figure if it is an acquired taste hopefully I'll have it acquired by then.

Was Chobani 0% blueberry fruit in the bottom type.

Carry on.

What victory could possibly come out of eating a food you do not even like?
    Why would you force yourself to start eating something you hate?
  • conorhtafc
    conorhtafc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hated it when I tried it. Had a quick search online and found Walden Farms syrups which everyone says are great to mix in with Greek yoghurt. Have to say, completely changes the taste and the whole bottle only has 11kcal, though you usually could use a teaspoon or two in about 150g of yoghurt.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Love Chobani yoghurt..my faves are the manadarin, mango , pineapple varieties.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Love it.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Fage for the win. 2% or the "Total" whole fat one. I can't stomach the nonfat ones.

This. Trade out the extra calories from the sugar/fruit on the bottom for fat in the full/2%. You can always add fresh fruit.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I feared even to open my single Oikos plain greek yogurt. I made it into a cheesecake instead. WIN!

I've been making my own yogurt, and in my cursory investigations into making greek yogurt it seems that the only difference is the cheesecloth to drain away most of the whey. Is that so? Is there not a different strain of bug used?
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Try Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt! Vanilla or Strawberry Cheesecake are my favorite!
  • BuffingButtons
    BuffingButtons Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This morning I've mixed in 1/2 cup pumpkin puree and half a banana with my Okios Triple Zero Vanilla. I sprinkle a little nutmeg on top and it's like a "17 grams of protein pumpkin pie" for breakfast. Pair it with a bit of coffee in the morning and I'm good until I get my snack at 11.

I'm a fan of the Okios myself. Vanilla Triple Zero flavor to be exact. I purchased Chobani once and never purchased it again. Never tried Fage. There are a lot of things you can do with the Okios Vanilla Triple Zero like the example above. I recommend Pinterest for ideas.

Greek is an acquired taste, but an essential change when it comes to overall health. About a month ago I purchased greek yogurt "mayo" and greek yogurt "butter." I add the greek yogurt mayo to my sammie instead of miracle whip. Mayo is too high in calories and saturated fat so I changed to miracle whip. Honestly, the greek mayo is better than the thin texture of miracle whip. I'm glad I made that change.

I hope you don't give up and keep eating Greek. Please search for combination ideas and once you find one that fits you, you will wonder how you didn't know about it sooner.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Another vote for Tillamook greek. Do you get Tillamook products in Arizona?

I personally buy plain full-fat greek yogurt, and mix it with protein powder (Quest Salted Caramel) and frozen berries. Tons of protein, about 300-350 calories.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you have a Greek deli near you, try their yogurt. It's awesome!
  • jnmrie
    jnmrie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Fage Total (whole or 2%) is unmatched in my opinion.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried it savory? The tartness lends itself better to savory flavors. Try the plain kind using it as a spread on bread like you would cream cheese. It also works nicely if you add garlic powder, paprika...etc to it and use it as a veggie dip. I have grown up eating it and I still can't do the sweetened kind, except when I make a plain greek yogurt and grapes sandwich.

Although I love Greek yogurt drizzled with honey, I have also been using it extensively on baked potatoes and mixed into tomato or squash soup. Awesome in so many different ways, and helps me nail my protein macro.

0% Fage really does strike me as a sour cream substitute. I eat it with roasted it baked potatoes sometimes, and the soup idea is good. I also like using it as a dip for apples or raw vegetables.

Going back a bit, I tried the almond butter/yogurt thing today (although I had a less thick yogurt) -- quite tasty, will repeat!

I use m Cabot 10% milk fat plain greek yogurt for sour cream all the time- it's perfect. I use it as mayo too in my tuna.

Being said Cabot > Fage. And less expensive.
    After either of those to brands though I don't know how any goes back to chobani- the consistency is awful.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    2% or whole milk for me too. The whole milk Dannon Oikos ones are delicious.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Are you saying it tasted bad? It had a bunch of sugary fruit on the bottom. I eat the 0% straight lol. A whole half tub every night.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I like the Yoplait Greek 100 high protein ones. Delish!