Fasting ??

Options
I've seen people comment about fasting ect and it being good for your good? I've always thought the 6 small meals a day thing was what we were meant to follow.
Does anyone know how this fasting works and how to do it correctly?

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    There's a lot about intermittent fasting. Try to research it and ask any specific questions you might have.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've seen people comment about fasting ect and it being good for your good? I've always thought the 6 small meals a day thing was what we were meant to follow.

I think this BBC video is a nice introduction to fasting and it's benefits
    https://youtu.be/Ihhj_VSKiTs
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculousl! Eat at the times that suit your needs.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10552037/fasting#latest

Here is a group. Its members are not all doing the same type of IF -- the strategies vary.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Other than a small window of time after a serious weightlifting session, when whey protein is an optimum food to help rebuild your muscles bigger, or in a small window of time after a serious HIIT cardio session, when a meal of 50% fat is key to cranking up hours of EPOC burn, there is no best or required time to eat. Your body is quite able to get through today if you had enough calories yesterday and quite able to get through tomorrow if you have enough calories today, and it doesn't really care what time of day you get those calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I do fasting sometimes. The way it's good for me is that instead of eating food in bird portions I get to consolidate my calories into larger more satisfying meals. Some people feel hungry if they go too long without food and small meals feels easier for them. Those are the people who would do well on 6 small meals. Other people can handle prolonged periods without food and have a great tolerance for hunger if it means eating larger meals, so fasting is easier for them. That's about the only meaningful difference for weight loss.

If you are curious about fasting, there are two kinds. One kind has you eating within a certain time window and not eating outside of it. The most widespread kind is the 16:8 and has you eating in an 8 hour window (for example from 10 am to 6 pm and no food outside of that). Some go as long as 24 hours between meals, eating only one meal a day. The second kind has you eating less on some days and more on others. The most widespread is what is called the 5:2 diet, where you eat about 500 calories two days a week and maintenance calories 5 days a week, some go as often as every other day, and some do complete water fasts every now and then. Both kinds take getting used to at first. Some people find they get much easier after a couple of weeks other people just decide it's not for them.

One important thing to note if you want to do it correctly, don't be tempted to lower your calories. If you are eating 1400 calories a day now for weight loss, you should still be averaging that much.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    No I don't do fasting. I tried it, on the second morning I fainted at my work. Not a good experience. :neutral:
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

I think this BBC video is a nice introduction to fasting and it's benefits
    https://youtu.be/Ihhj_VSKiTs

Well, then. Thank you. I watched the whole thing and sent the link to my daughter.
    This moves me into the camp of enthusiasts for the 5-2 diet. Will I do it right away? I'm not sure. At 54 I already have most of the desired effects of it. My blood triglycerides are consistently in the low end of the normal range. My blood pressure is in the very low end of the normal range. Any lower and I'd be excluded from blood donations. My resting pulse is low at 45. My total cholesterol and LDL is in the low end of normal. I don't know about my IGF-1.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I first started fasting my eating habits were pretty bad. I ate till I felt full. Fasting helped with that where if I timed my meals near the end of the day, I would get that full feeling. I do not do fasting anymore cause personally I hated it. Aside from that there are no real benefits of fasting and if they are its minimum. Just think about it if you were to eat in a surplus while fasting are you going to lose weight? No you wont. It's also based on the idea that working out fasted promoted fat burning which also isn't true. Lastly you don't need to eat 6 meals a day either. You could eat all your calories in one meal and Hershel Walker does this. If you don't know who that is look em up.

So eat how you want. I have tried just about every diet under the sun cause I feel experimenting with every possibility is the best way to find what diet works for you. Fasting did help me tho in the way it allowed me to still have that full feeling when I wasn't disciplined in my eating habits. I didn't experience any extra weight loss and this is going through a few bulking/cutting cycles.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    While the main benefit of fasting is saving calories for bigger meals, there are plenty of other health benefits, that while are not as important or make a huge difference in weight loss, there are still benefits.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    While the main benefit of fasting is saving calories for bigger meals, there are plenty of other health benefits, that while are not as important or make a huge difference in weight loss, there are still benefits.

Most the studies I've read the improved health benefits are inline with anyone who is overweight and lost weight. Put it plain and simple you get healthier losing weight. I've stated these 2 examples before but Kansas State Nutrition Professor Dr. Mark Haub (link here: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/did-kansas-state-nutrition-professor-dr-mark-haub-really-go-on-a-little-debbie-snack-cake-diet/9226 ) ate little debbie snack cakes as his primary source of calories. Not only lost weight but got healthier. Another example the guy who made the documentary Fat Head which debunked supersize me. Ate nothing but fast food but in a deficit also experienced the same results. Lost weight and got healthier. Both had blood work tested. Link for Fat Head free http://documentary-movie.com/fat-head/

Reason I use those 2 example is I could easily say there are health benefits to eating in both of those ways(not suggesting eating like that) and their results are no different from say someone who uses IF. Not knocking IF at all either.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    This article sums up some of the recent fasting research, which is pretty fascinating.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/12/11/neuroscientist-shows-what-fasting-does-to-your-brain-why-big-pharma-wont-study-it/
  • novekgirl2187
    novekgirl2187 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys newbie here , trying to lose weight have managed to lose 12 kilo's in 3 months but it's slowing down, I also have to take heartburn tablets this is because as my Doctor informs me , I don't eat often enough again as original poster stated I've been recommended to eat 5 small
    Meals a day and that the 1 meal a day I was living on is why I was over weight, well
    I haven't realy improved this I may now grab an apple during the day as an addition however finding the time to eat is always a struggle for me , I have improved what I eat and I'm watching my fat, sugar and carb intake which is probably why I've lost the kilos , I have also started to incorporate exercise and increase the intensity of it as I get stronger , am I doing it all wrong ?? I am trying to concentrate on eating more often , I'm concerned if I implement strategies that I can't sustain for the remainder of my lifetime then I will fail as I have so many times before and this scares me !
    #TheStruggleIsReal
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    This article sums up some of the recent fasting research, which is pretty fascinating.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/12/11/neuroscientist-shows-what-fasting-does-to-your-brain-why-big-pharma-wont-study-it/

I saw the clickbait title and was a bit on the fence, and rightly so, because as soon as I clicked I was greeted by the picture of Mercola. Enough said. There aren't many human trials that successfully separate fasting from weight loss, and weight loss is known and proven to be one of the most potent factors for health marker improvements.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I also have to take heartburn tablets this is because as my Doctor informs me , I don't eat often enough again as original poster stated I've been recommended to eat 5 small
    Meals a day

This could be because of the heartburn issue (I don't know anything about treatment for heartburn). The point about there being absolutely zero need for many small meals was for weight loss. The idea that it affects metabolism is a myth.
    and that the 1 meal a day I was living on is why I was over weight

Eating just one meal a day wouldn't be why you are overweight if total calories are appropriate. The issue is that meal timing can affect how much we eat, especially if not logging. For example, some people find it easier to control calories if they eat just one meal a day and enjoy that schedule. However, on average, people not logging seem more likely to overeat if they are hungrier when they eat, and that's why even dietitians and doctors who understand that the metabolism thing isn't valid may recommend eating more frequently. Also, if someone is overweight and has been eating according to the one meal pattern (or a 2 or 3 meal pattern), they may figure it is worth a try and that if you are eating all the time you are less likely to perceive a drop in calories.

I like eating 3 meals a day (I could do 2, but prefer 3 and find it easier to get in adequate nutrients with 3), and would be miserable AND hungrier trying to eat 5-6 small meals, as I don't find that pattern of eating satisfying and it makes me think about eating all the time. But it definitely works for some people, so could be worth a try.

I'd say try to work out a pattern of eating where you are happiest and most satisfied. Even try different things for a week and take some notes about when you are hungry and how much eat day and compare.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8

Dr. Mattson plainly states several times that vigorous exercise = intermittent fasting because it depletes glycogen in the liver and moves you into ketosis, and that ketone bodies are very good for the brain.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've read a little bit about how intermittent fasting is probably beneficial to males and probably harmful to females. However, there have been no good studies done on human females, only on males. Female rats do not benefit from it.