But I would have to add a HONEYBUN

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So, I'm finding it incredibly difficult to meet 1200 calories a day. I eat when I'm hungry and make healthy choices. I love oven roasted vegetables for lunch. And then I typically have a lean cuisine at night. I am pretty much sedentary except the occasional days of walking around the local town. I typically cap off my days around 900 calories. I refuse to eat 1 and a half hours before I go to sleep. I know I'm supposed to be at 1200, but I can't seem to reach it. I'm just not that hungry. And get this - I've been at the same weight for almost a month!! Tips and advice appreciated.

figure out your maintenance. Not losing weight for a month, it means you are eating this. Since you say you are overweight, you are probably eating twice as much as you think. Something is not right with your logging.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    To be totally honest, I'd be more worried about your microwave packet meal than a honey bun.

Why?
  • Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Something that wasn't mentioned in this thread - Be sure to check any of the foods you log here. I've only been here a month, but almost everyday, I have to adjust some of the numbers entered in the nutrition area of various foods. Ingredients/recipes change over the years, and who knows how old some of these are.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For the most part I try to avoid things with ingredient lists this long:

enriched flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), sugar, water, palm oil, vegetable shortening (soybean oil and palm oil with added mono- and diglycerides), yeast, contains 2% or less of each of the following: dextrose, salt, cornstarch, soy flour, monoglycerides, corn syrup, calcium carbonate, leavening (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda), datem, soy lecithin, soybean oil, dried honey, cinnamon, calcium sulfate, agar, colored with extracts of annatto and turmeric, titanium dioxide (for color), natural and artificial flavor, enzymes, azodicarbonamide, preserved with calcium propionate, sodium propionate, and potassium sorbate

Because....?

Because I prefer to eat as clean as possible. I'm not 100% into clean eating. But I would like to eat as clean as I can.

Have you looked at the number of ingredients in your lean cuisine?

While I agree on the honeybun part (there are many ways to get a few hundred calories that offer more nutrient benefits), I also agree about the lean cuisine. Nothing "clean" about Lean Cuisines.
  • lolothedragon
    lolothedragon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you like to eat roasted veggies for lunch have you thought about adding some kind of fat or protein to "beef" it up a bit? Chicken, fish, avocado, even a side of quinoa or rice? You should be a eating a little more if you're truly only eating 900 a day.

I would check your logging first. Research on the myfitnesspal entries you're actually using, not all of them are accurate. Buy a food scale and weigh everything out. If it turns out you were correct then try eating more calorie dense foods to hit your goals. One of my favorite snacks is a serving of peanut butter over a banana. Home made smoothies are great way to drink your calories if you really just can't eat them.

As for the eating before bed thing, that's totally fine. I lost 50lbs about 5 years ago and I worked the night shift. I wouldn't eat dinner until around midnight and then I would go to bed right after. I still eat a snack before bed every night, I have a green smoothie and if it's a workout day I have a protein bar too.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You could add a honeybun. I don't know what that is, but if it's something you like and it fits in your calorie/nutrition goals, why not eat it?

Haha it was an exaggeration. It's like a giant breaded thing that's coated in gooey sugar. Totally not subjecting myself to that malarkey.

Why not? Under eating is unhealthy. If a honeybun fits your cals and macros then it's not doing you any harm.

If someone is eating at around 900 calories adding 300 calories of a nutrient poor (i.e. junk food) isn't going to provide adequate nutrition.

The closer one is to the lower acceptable daily calorie amount, the more nutrient dense their diet needs to be for adequate nutrition.

Getting enough calories is just as important as nutrients.

Nothing was said about the OP being unable to obtain/afford any certain type of food. Sure getting enough calories is important, but if someone is eating 900 calories a day and wants to get to 1200 a nutrient poor item like honeybun would be one of the least preferred choices.

Don't you think a diet consisting of mainly nutrient dense foods is especially important as one adapts a lower calorie eating plan?
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Op if you're not losing weight and it's been a month it's not because you're under-eating but since you're not gaining weight it's due to you eating at maintenance. The good thing is now you found out what you can eat to maintain your weight. Now all you have to do is reduce your calories a bit.

Tighten up your numbers and eat at a deficit eating the calories MyFitnessPal recommends you'll lose weight. If you're not using a food scale and just eating "clean" you might consider buying one.

Good luck!!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Op if you're not losing weight and it's been a month it's not because you're under-eating but since you're not gaining weight it's due to you eating at maintenance. The good thing is now you found out what you can eat to maintain your weight. Now all you have to do is reduce your calories a bit.

Tighten up your numbers and eat at a deficit eating the calories MyFitnessPal recommends you'll lose weight. If you're not using a food scale and just eating "clean" you might consider buying one.

Good luck!!

She states she's only eating 900 calories. Food scale for sure. But she needs to lower calories, she's already too low...
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »

Good luck!!

She states she's only eating 900 calories. Food scale for sure. But she needs to lower calories, she's already too low...

But she's not losing weight... it's been a month food labels often underestimate calories, so she may be eating more than she actually thinks. For example, I'm 5'2 and MyFitnessPal mentioned that if I eat at 1200 calories I will lose 2 pounds a week. If I eat 900 calories a day I will be losing more than 2 pounds a week.

If Op is able to disclose her height and current weight we would be able to help her more. For now I'm going with she's eating more than she thinks and thus not losing weight. Even if the Op is 4'8, 25 pounds, and 155 pounds maintenance would be at 1800 calories.
    As mentioned before she's eating at maintenance and thus not losing weight she needs a deficit to lose weight.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You could add a honeybun. I don't know what that is, but if it's something you like and it fits in your calorie/nutrition goals, why not eat it?

Haha it was an exaggeration. It's like a giant breaded thing that's coated in gooey sugar. Totally not subjecting myself to that malarkey.

Why not? Under eating is unhealthy. If a honeybun fits your cals and macros then it's not doing you any harm.

If someone is eating at around 900 calories adding 300 calories of a nutrient poor (i.e. junk food) isn't going to provide adequate nutrition.

The closer one is to the lower acceptable daily calorie amount, the more nutrient dense their diet needs to be for adequate nutrition.

so it is ok to chronically undereat if the filler calories are nutrient poor? That makes zero sense...