But I would have to add a HONEYBUN

Options

Replies

• Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You are overweight because you probably 1) have wrecked your metabolism by undereating if you're monitoring properly (which I don't think you are - overweight people who stay overweight on 900 cals/day usually have a severe hormonal problem) & 2) aren't as active as you might think you are.

You need to monitor your cal intake to the gram and mouthful. When I make roasted veg even without oil, I can easily eat 400-800 cals depending on the type of veg and portion size. You need to weigh everything you eat.

If it turns out that you are undereating then you definitely should eat more (at this stage anything, can hone it down to macros when you start losing).

Either way get yourself into the gym to start cardio and weights.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You could add a honeybun. I don't know what that is, but if it's something you like and it fits in your calorie/nutrition goals, why not eat it?

Haha it was an exaggeration. It's like a giant breaded thing that's coated in gooey sugar. Totally not subjecting myself to that malarkey.

Why not? Under eating is unhealthy. If a honeybun fits your cals and macros then it's not doing you any harm.

If someone is eating at around 900 calories adding 300 calories of a nutrient poor (i.e. junk food) isn't going to provide adequate nutrition.

The closer one is to the lower acceptable daily calorie amount, the more nutrient dense their diet needs to be for adequate nutrition.

Getting enough calories is just as important as nutrients.

Nothing was said about the OP being unable to obtain/afford any certain type of food. Sure getting enough calories is important, but if someone is eating 900 calories a day and wants to get to 1200 a nutrient poor item like honeybun would be one of the least preferred choices.

Don't you think a diet consisting of mainly nutrient dense foods is especially important as one adapts a lower calorie eating plan?

so if it comes down to a honey bun or nothing, then go with nothing? Still makes zero sense...

if the choice is under eating or poor nutrtion, poor nutrition is the better or the two poor choices..

Bro, work on your reading comprehension. Nothing was said about not having the ability to get nutrient dense food. I also acknowledged the need for sufficient calories.

My post you were quoting

Nothing was said about the OP being unable to obtain/afford any certain type of food. Sure getting enough calories is important, but if someone is eating 900 calories a day and wants to get to 1200 a nutrient poor item like honeybun would be one of the least preferred choices.

Don't you think a diet consisting of mainly nutrient dense foods is especially important as one adapts a lower calorie eating plan

If there are no restrictions medically or availability-wise do you think something more nutrient dense than a honeybun should fill in a calorie gap from 900 to 1200 calories?
  • nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Okay for example. I ended my day yesterday at 795 calories.
    Breakfast: chewy chocolate chip granola bar, coffee with 3 tsp of artificial sweetener. = 140
    Lunch: one serving canned tuna, drained. 1/8 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt = 185 calories
    Dinner: lean cuisine, spaghetti with meat sauce = 310
    Snack: 3 servings of croutons (they're like chips to me) which was 120 calories.
    Snack 2: large ice pop= 50 calories

I ate all day, had 6 bottles of water throughout the day. I was just full... I didn't want to eat anymore. I knew I could afford 405 calories and I legitimately searched for anything to reach that and couldn't even think to eat more.
    HOWEVER, I did experience a "whoosh" on the scale this morning. It shows a 3 pound loss in 24 hours. This, after no changes for about 3 and a half weeks.
    I understand the benefits of weighing foods. I could very well be eating more calories than I think. But I can't afford a decent food scale nor do I have time to weight everything I eat. I still don't believe I'm eating 400 more calories than I think I am.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: chewy chocolate chip granola bar, coffee with 3 tsp of artificial sweetener. = 140
    Lunch: one serving canned tuna, drained. 1/8 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt = 185 calories
    Snack: 3 servings of croutons (they're like chips to me) which was 120 calories.

I ate all day, had 6 bottles of water throughout the day. I was just full... I didn't want to eat anymore. I knew I could afford 405 calories and I legitimately searched for anything to reach that and couldn't even think to eat more.
    HOWEVER, I did experience a "whoosh" on the scale this morning. It shows a 3 pound loss in 24 hours. This, after no changes for about 3 and a half weeks.
    I understand the benefits of weighing foods. I could very well be eating more calories than I think. But I can't afford a decent food scale nor do I have time to weight everything I eat. I still don't believe I'm eating 400 more calories than I think I am.

a food scale will cost you between $10-15, but i understand if you can't afford it. in the future it may be something worth the investment. without it you could be pretty far off in your intake. for example, 1/8 of a cup of yogurt is 2 tablespoons, and not heaping tablespoons. basically like 28 grams. tuna is usually listed as 2-2.5 servings per can, though drained i find it comes out to be slightly less. croutons if you're counting them out can be pretty off from the weighted version of a serving as well.

all that aside though, it really does seem like you're under eating by a lot if that's a typical day. if you're exercising on top of that you're way under eating.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

It's really interesting, that you scoffed earlier in the thread about the suggestion to eat the honeybun (which you brought up in the title of the thread) because it has a long ingredient list, and yet this is how you choose to fill your day? None of these things are particularly "clean". There isn't a single fruit or vegetable on your list. Also, this is not eating all day. 1/8 cup of yogurt? What is that, like 2 tbsp?

Have you taken the time to look at the list of calorie dense foods that @diannethegeek posted upthread?

Agreed. Like I said I ate low and "clean" in the beginning. Mainly because I was ignorant. No calling anyone else ignorant. Only myself. Anyways, I was eating like oatmeal for breakfast. Turkey sandwich on wheat bread with cucumbers on the side. Yogurt and fruit for snacks. Then dinner of mostly vegetables and small amount of protein.

And still I was weak and hair fell out. Not enough protein. Not enough calories. Just not enough period. I truly hope OP takes the advice. It sure is hard to get healthy hair, skin, nails and metabolism back once you abuse if for quite some time.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

This is not "clean" by any defintion of "clean", most of these items in my house are considered junk food to be eaten every now and then, with the exception of lean cuisine (or anything similar) which I would not allow my kids to eat unless it was this or starve to death. Regardless of whether you are eating 700 or 7000 calories, this is extremely poor nutritionally!
    I was expecting to see fresh vegetables, fruit and grilled meats in a supposedly "clean" diet!