Blood sugar diet !

Options

Replies

• fionadg
    fionadg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kimmisuee wrote: »
    The blood sugar diet is for everyone diabetic or not, read the book back to front :) I trust Micheal mosley out of all the scientists plus I know people who have done the 5:2 who lost a lot of weight and kept it off :) I love avacado they are my life saver! Instead of pasta I have sweet potatoe, hits the spot haha !

Michael Mosely is not a scientist. He is a journalist with a degree in psychiatry (never practiced). He combines these skills to sell books.

I think psychiatry is a science, he would have studied loads of general science, all his reports are extremely scientific. Gets my vote anyway.

• fionadg
    fionadg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kimmisuee wrote: »
    Hello! I'm on day 4 of the blood sugar diet, anyone else on the same journey ? :)

I started it today, going to be a bit over 8ookcals(885) but I need my vodka n diet coke tonight!
  • aerial102
    aerial102 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is nothing more than a fad diet, unless you're medically supervised, eating less than 1,000 calories is dangerous. Your body needs the necessary nutrition to function properly. People write books over diets, because the masses of people that want to lose weight quickly will buy them.
  • PreetiC77
    PreetiC77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im starting my BSD journey this morning. Using it as a tool to kick start my weight loss. Well done Kimmisuee on your loss!
  • kimmisuee
    kimmisuee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    PreetiC77 wrote: »
    Im starting my BSD journey this morning. Using it as a tool to kick start my weight loss. Well done Kimmisuee on your loss!
    good luck on your journey ! This is the best thing I've done :) x

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    From the BBC-Michael Mosley
    Michael Mosley studied medicine in London and qualified as a doctor but for the last 25 years he’s been working as a documentary maker and an award winning science journalist.
    His programmes have won an RTS, an EMMY and he was named ‘medical journalist of the year’ by the British Medical Association for a ground-breaking programme on Helicobacter pylori.

His most recent work includes Countdown to Life: The extraordinary making of you and various episodes of Horizon, including investigations of the benefits of high intensity exercise and the impact of e-cigarettes. He’s also a regular presenter on The One Show.

In Trust Me I’m a Doctor, Michael investigates the latest evidence behind health claims and headlines – for instance, whether sugar is really the new tobacco, how much is too much alcohol and whether we should worry about air pollution. He has also set up big experiments looking at the benefits of eating oily fish, whether cooking with turmeric can help prevent cancer and how to increase our levels of vitamin D.
    At least with him, he looks into scientific experiments to qualifying his findings. Unlike many documentaries that try to just skew information by cherry picking information and also not balancing it out with opposing views.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Even if he isn't a scientist that doesn't obviate his work. His method has worked on me, so far. 10 days on the program and my A1C was within norms and my Dr told me to keep up the good work. And you do lose weight.

I'm following the 800 calorie diet but once my weight is acceptable to me, I will switch to 5-2 plan. I wonder if the naysayers have ever had a weight problem. Do they understand the emotional and physical impact of being over 100 lbs overweight. I've tried medically supervised plans that put me on 500 calories a day of soy based non-foods. Yes I lost weight, but difficult to stick with. And these packaged foods with artificial ingredients don't compare to a nice salad with protein and olive oil dressing. The eating is much healthier.

Also, the alternative, weight loss surgery is not fun. My daughter had a Rouen bypass. She is still overweight (thought not as grossly) still has health issues and has worse body image than before her surgery. After the surgery she said she would never freely submit to surgery again, so no surgery to remove excess fat. I didnt want that for her and I don't want it for myself. Plus she regularly has to have blood transfusions because her body no long processes iron

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    KATRENAJ wrote: »
    Even if he isn't a scientist that doesn't obviate his work. His method has worked on me, so far. 10 days on the program and my A1C was within norms and my Dr told me to keep up the good work. And you do lose weight.

I'm following the 800 calorie diet but once my weight is acceptable to me, I will switch to 5-2 plan. I wonder if the naysayers have ever had a weight problem. Do they understand the emotional and physical impact of being over 100 lbs overweight. I've tried medically supervised plans that put me on 500 calories a day of soy based non-foods. Yes I lost weight, but difficult to stick with. And these packaged foods with artificial ingredients don't compare to a nice salad with protein and olive oil dressing. The eating is much healthier.

Also, the alternative, weight loss surgery is not fun. My daughter had a Rouen bypass. She is still overweight (thought not as grossly) still has health issues and has worse body image than before her surgery. After the surgery she said she would never freely submit to surgery again, so no surgery to remove excess fat. I didnt want that for her and I don't want it for myself. Plus she regularly has to have blood transfusions because her body no long processes iron
    So your alternatives are
    1. 800 calories, then 5:2
    2. 500 calories
    3. Weight loss surgery

The naysayers suggest
    4. Aiming for the target MFP gives you.

This naysayer had only 50 pounds to lose, so that doesn't count, I understand that, but I'm so happy I went with the naysayers, because the weight is still off, three years after I hit goal.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Since your A1c is a measure of your blood glucose levels for approximately the past three months (the lifespan of the type of blood cell they are looking at), ten days on a diet had zero impact on it. There are some reasons that science is better than not-science, and knowing what is significant and what's not is one of them.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Have you ever spent any time reading the success story section of these boards? There are countless examples of people who have lost significant amount of weight many have lost 100s of pounds, so yes, people on this site know what that feels like. Many also are diabetic and have been able to manage that, simply through losing weight, with no extreme restrictions on calories or diet overall.

What they also know is that extreme approaches like you're describing are rarely sustainable. Set MFP to lose 2 lbs/week. Eat a variety of foods that provide nutrition, satiety, and enjoyment within that calorie target. If your doctor wants you to limit carbs or added sugars to help manage your medical conditions then do that. The important thing is to eat at a calorie deficit that is not so extreme that it has other adverse effects. Log as accurately and honestly as possible, ideally using a food scale.
This discussion has been closed.