Any Gary Taubes fans out here?

Options

Replies

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I believe the only thing I've read by him is his piece in the NY Times, something about a Big Fat Lie.

It made sense based on what I know about my own body and my own health/weight journey. So yes, I suppose I'm a minor fan. I never knew he was controversial or hated until I read these message boards. But then a lot of stuff considered the conventional wisdom on these boards, I think is controversial or flat out wrong. Different strokes.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Don't forget Freelee the YouTube banana girl! :o

I would trust the banana girl before some of these "experts"... :dizzy:

The summer my sister in law blew up my phone with texts screaming at me for refusing to listen to a Mercola webinar while on vacation and warning me that I was making my son autistic and would eventually "give" him (my son) cerebral palsey if I didn't chelate him of the nonexistant Thimerisal in his vaccinations still burns painfully in one corner of my mind...

I call some of these " doctors" The Crazymakers...they whip their fans into a froth of paranoia but damn, do they ever make money doing it. So there's that.

All well and good, follow what thou wilt but don't jam it down my throat, and everybody winds up happy. :D I think if "hate," if you will, comes from that...these people tend to make their own beliefs a crusade, often with a gigantic intrusive marketing push - all fueled on fear tactics, then they can't believe people tell them to shut up, LOL.

Not saying this of Taubes specifically or trying to make the OP feel bad. But yeah, if there is a negative reputation, this sort of thing is why.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    He has plenty of fans, the people who follow/believe his points of views and advice like him. The people who disagree and do not follow his way of thinking hate him. Pretty much goes for every self proclaimed expert on the interwebs.

Dr. Oz has a lot of fans too. For that matter, so did Charles Manson. I don't judge veracity by the size of one's fan base.

Lol Touche' :smiley:

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I would trust the banana girl before some of these "experts"... :D

I wouldnt go that far lol she has peddled so much woo that a lot of those that have followed her way of eating have ended up with health issues and gained weight(of course) she also totes that it helped or cured her mothers cancer at one point. she also loves to slander others nothing good about her either
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I would trust the banana girl before some of these "experts"... :D

I wouldnt go that far lol she has peddled so much woo that a lot of those that have followed her way of eating have ended up with health issues and gained weight(of course) she also totes that it helped or cured her mothers cancer at one point. she also loves to slander others nothing good about her either

Nah, I was being facetious, Banana Girl really is bananas . :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Now she is most certainly an embarrassment to my peoples :rage:

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I do agree that sugars and starches can be a problem for some people like me but I'd rather follow the GAPS diet which is really helping me with candida issues I've had for 9 years.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hahahahahahahahahahhaahhaahahahahahaha
    No.
    Never.
    I'd almost take vegan gains or freelee over him! Almost.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hahahahahahahahahahhaahhaahahahahahaha
    No.
    Never.
    I'd almost take vegan gains or freelee over him! Almost.

is that a big almost or a little almost? lol
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Not a fan if him or lchf.

JerSchmare wrote: »
    What's really a shame is people who think the haters just hate him are really clueless about why. They seem to ignore the fact that Taubes is completely baseless. There is nothing there. He could say, "Milk is bad", without explaining why, and all his followers will stop drinking milk. It's so lame. If someone makes a statement like that, I want to see studies and facts that back that up. Unbelievable how gullible people are. And then they say, "different stokes". No it's not different strokes. It's stupid (Taubes) versus smart (anyone that understand that Taubes is a fake).

Thank you!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan. Lean-meat-healthy-whole-grains was a doozy to overcome but his Good Calories Bad Calories was instrumental for me in that regard. I think he's done a world of good for nutrition science.

how has he done a world of good for nutrition science when he knows squat about it? thats like getting nutrition info from dan rather or any other newscaster/journalist. That would be like getting an eating plan from a podiatrist.

By expecting it to be, you know, pseudoscience. It doesn't matter whether what he personally believes is right or wrong he's had a huge impact on nutrition research for the better.

fixed it for you ...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    He is generally frowned upon on these forums. He is a very good journalist though and knows how to make money in journalism. His knowledge on nutrition is amusing at best, but hey, he's making money with it so good for him.

this
    Frowned upon is a bit of an understatement. He's generally considered a fraud who found a way to get rich through food scaring.

and this ..

Right.

lemmings.gif