Does anyone workout in the MORNING????

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It would be difficult to workout in the morning because I have small children that I have to take to daycare and my boyfriend leaves for work very early, so I would have to get up, go to the gym, and be back before he leaves, then get ready for work, get my kids ready and fed, and then leave. I feel like it's a lot of wasted time whereas if I go after work, I just go straight from work and then come home. Plus I like taking a quick shower in the locker room before heading home- when bedtime comes around im like "yea! I already showered!" However it sucks because right after work is the busiest time and then I have to deal with all these people. I just got a new job that is very close to home and I get off work earlier, so by the time I leave work, go to the gym and come home, I'm still getting home a little earlier than I was at my last job.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning, but nothing as early as a lot of people here. my routine is #1 coffee #2 kids breakfast and off to school #3 exercise which usually ends up happening around 8:30-9:00 am.
  • Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I set up 3 alarms, get everything ready and I still can't wake up lol. I I wake up, then go back to sleep. I don't know how to break that habit. I almost missed an exam doing that
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just starting my summer routine this week. I'm up at around 5:30/5:45 year around but only do AM workouts in the summer to beat the heat. I don't do any 'o-dark 30 stuff though. I'm usually on my bike no later than 6 AM and do about 12 miles then get home and enjoy a cup or two of coffee on the patio then shower and whatnot and on the road by 7:30 to work.

I rather enjoy the crispness of a new morning and watching the sunrise from my saddle and it's a nice way to start the day. I don't do it in the winter because it's too cold and dark and I end up using my indoor trainer more in the winter but I can't really use it in the AM because it'll wake the kids and then my wife will kill me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do a workout video every morning. Just get up, put on the sports bra and get started. Water goes with me. I shower, coffee, eat after.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am up at 4:45 normally to get ready for work. I am going to try 4:00 and get a workout in first. Hopefully I can make it until 10 before I crash.
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    I workout in the morning, but nothing as early as a lot of people here. my routine is #1 coffee #2 kids breakfast and off to school #3 exercise which usually ends up happening around 8:30-9:00 am.

Yeah, realistically I can't wake up at 3 or 4 and think of working out lol
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I work graveyard shift so I work out in the morning. Get home, work out about 8:30am then wind down and go to sleep. When I join a gym again it will be the same. My new gym I'm scoping out is walking distance from me. So the timing will be the same. My last gym was women's only and had 24 hour access with your membership. Which was great because on my days off I tend to still be up all night, so I could go at 2am and have the whole place to myself. Empty gym = HEAVEN
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning. I get up around 6, mess around on my phone way too long, drink coffee, get kids off to school and husband off to work, eat something small, then work out around 830/900. I'll often go for a walk or do a workout video with weights. I've been running again now that it's warm too. Today I'll go to a Pilates class followed by a walk when I get back home.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Mahdi22 wrote: »
    I set up 3 alarms, get everything ready and I still can't wake up lol. I I wake up, then go back to sleep. I don't know how to break that habit. I almost missed an exam doing that

Are you getting enough sleep?

I 'm usually up at 5:AM, drink some coffee & then head out for a run or a swim.

It's quite possible that you're just not a morning person.
  • kitkat019
    kitkat019 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work out in the AM during the work week because I feel like I have more energy during the day and am less likely to skip a workout.

I wake up, drink 6-8oz of water , have a part of a protein bar or cookie for energy (can't each much in the morning before a workout ) and go. Post workout I drink some protein. It works for me!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out in 2013 I would always work out in the mornings - I lived with my partner and we didn't have any children so it was so easy to just pack a bag, go to bed early and wake up before he was up for work. Then we'd have the night to spend together instead of breaking it up with the gym. However, we split up and then I was on my own, which at the time was totally fine because I could still have the life I wanted and it wasn't an issue with anyone if I went to bed at 8:30 and was up at 4:30.

Fast forward to 2016 and I bought my own house (instead of renting an apartment) and within 3 months I adopted a sweetheart of a rescue dog. Since I am single I could no longer just pack a bag, go to the gym, shower there and head to work as it meant she would be by herself for 10+ hours a day - completely not fair to her. So then I started working out later at night because I'd go home, take her for a walk or to the park, eat some dinner and have to wait for it to digest as I can't work out on a full stomach - or even a half full stomach lol.

But, in late 2016 I switched jobs and I now have a job where I work from home 3 - 4 days a week, and the other two days (pending meetings) my schedule is flexible . . . some weeks I am at home every day ha ha. So now that I can get up, go to the gym and then come home, shower and I don't have to leave my house for work most days I find I am back to morning workouts . . . it's just better for me. However, when I switched back it was BRUTAL waking up early again - it took everything I had to just get out of bed some mornings lol. I prefer mornings because then I have the nights to do whatever . . . dog park, walks, book clubs (yeh, I'm kinda nerdy lol) and everything else.
  • don9992
    don9992 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym a couple of times a week in the early morning and would go more often if time permitted. I like the way I feel after working out and catching some steam before having to sit in an office. Days when I can't go I normally power walk at lunch.
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    Mahdi22 wrote: »

Are you getting enough sleep?

I 'm usually up at 5:AM, drink some coffee & then head out for a run or a swim.

It's quite possible that you're just not a morning person.

Im getting more than enough sleep lol. There's days where I can sleep 12 hours and I'll be super cranky and moody and tired! I absolutely hate that feeling, I like the idea of waking up early lol but I just can't wake up. I've talked to my doctor about it but I'm apparently "normal."

Since I've started eating better and exercising, I've noticed that I have a little more energy so I hope eventually this affects my sleep. Idk...

Other than losing weight and being healthy, my goal is to wake up earlier, sleep less obviously, and to go for a run every morning. That would be a miracle tbh lmao
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Keep telling yourself you can't and you'll never make the effort.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Looking at all of the responses here: am I the only one who wakes up without an alarm? I don't even have a clock in my bedroom anymore...or lights...or anything other than a bed, dresser and clothes, and the blackout blinds. That last one makes it much easier to go to sleep at 6:30 pm in the summer. ;)
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    There's no way I can sleep at 6,8 or 10 pm lol
    That's waaaaay too early. Ideally, I want to sleep at 12 and wake up at 6 am. But it's hard cuz I come home around midnight :neutral:
  • cosob
    cosob Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It varies a lot, as I do field work, and times can shift depending upon how far from home I am, ship times, etc. However, for the last week it's been the following:

1:30-2:30: wake up, pee, weigh in and take orthostatic readings for TRAC, start food prep for the day.
    3:30-3:45: food prep done.
    3:50: take subjective measurements for TRAC.
    4:00: first round of stims.
    4:15: pre-lift food.
    4:45: pre-workout.
    5:20: leave for gym.
    5:30: start warm-up sets.
    6:30-7:00: post-lift food.
    7:05-7:30: leave for work.
    8:00: second bout of post lift food.
    8:15-8:30: arrive at work.

Are you for real????

• JButterfly5
    JButterfly5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning after my son leaves for school. I usually write in my journal, do yoga, then hit the trails.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Looking at all of the responses here: am I the only one who wakes up without an alarm? I don't even have a clock in my bedroom anymore...or lights...or anything other than a bed, dresser and clothes, and the blackout blinds. That last one makes it much easier to go to sleep at 6:30 pm in the summer. ;)

I don't use an alarm.