Does anyone workout in the MORNING????

Options

Replies

• raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    akboy58 wrote: »
    I usually work out in the morning, anywhere between 8 am and 9 am. I get up early, have breakfast (low carb pita with nut butter of some kind, plus strong coffee with 2% milk), travel to the gym, which takes me about an hour by city bus, more coffee, then I'm ready to go. Mornings suit me better for several reasons already cited by others: 1) if I don't exercise first thing, I won't do it; 2) even if inclined to work out later in the day, my day often won't let me; 3) my energy level is higher in the morning; 4) working out in the evening aggravates my sleep problems.

this
  • sssynnamon
    sssynnamon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My husband and I get up at 330am and walk into the gym by 350. I hate nothing more than the alarm going off at that hour, but I've always preferred morning workouts to evening. We live in the Washington DC area and he works at the Pentagon, so commute consideration has to come into play here. We decided we wanted to work out together and this was the best time for us. It's hard as F!!!! for a little while, but you get used to it. It doesn't take long for it to become normal. We do a 3 day on, 1 day off split so there's always at least 1 day during the work week when we get to "sleep in" until 515 and we don't go that early on the weekends. For me, the morning workout starts each day on a positive note. Hope you find a schedule that works for you!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I go to bed in my clean workout clothes so I can just lace up and go. I pack my bag the night before, fill my water/mix my BCAA in a bottle and put in the fridge. It's so hard to get going sometimes but I just keep telling myself how good i'll feel once I get going. The rest of the day feels soooooo much better after I work out. I can sit and lounge in class guilt free. Give it a few days and try to focus on that accomplished feeling you already have at 9 am! It helps you be ready to take on the day!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I just recently got back to working out in the morning. I'm up by 5:30 and out the door to run by 6:15. Back by 7:15 then shower and head off to work. I eat my breakfast in the car usually.

I like running in the morning. It's quiet, and I like the sense of satisfaction that I've finished my workout before I even go to work. If I wait until after work, I'm usually anxious and antsy to get home or to the gym and the gym is usually so damn crowded at that time that it makes me MORE anxious. So morning is the way to go for me.

One thing I haven't worked out yet, however, is what to do when the weather won't let me run outside in the morning. I have a gym membership, and I should just go over there, but it takes too long to drive over there, workout, then come back home and shower and get ready (no facilities at the gym). I may just have to get up earlier to fit that all in.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    sssynnamon wrote: »
    My husband and I get up at 330am and walk into the gym by 350. I hate nothing more than the alarm going off at that hour, but I've always preferred morning workouts to evening. We live in the Washington DC area and he works at the Pentagon, so commute consideration has to come into play here. We decided we wanted to work out together and this was the best time for us. It's hard as F!!!! for a little while, but you get used to it. It doesn't take long for it to become normal. We do a 3 day on, 1 day off split so there's always at least 1 day during the work week when we get to "sleep in" until 515 and we don't go that early on the weekends. For me, the morning workout starts each day on a positive note. Hope you find a schedule that works for you!

ahhhh, how I miss the early morning runs from Ft. McNair, DC, down the National Mall to the Lincoln Memorial that my squad used to do.

Early morning workouts require planning and being able to make yourself move when all you want to do is stay in bed. It will hurt for a few weeks, but it will get easier over time.
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am SO jealous of those of you that say you work out in the morning but then say you get up at 6-8 AM... lucky! I have to be at work at 6:30 and before I started working out in the mornings I would be up by 5:15-5:30 depending if I need to wash my hair. I tried to work out in the evenings but although a desk job, my work day is stressful and very mentally exhausting and I would never have the energy to work out after work.

For the last week and a half, I have been up between 4:15-4:30 to work out. Luckily I don't need to go anywhere, I have a treadmill and hand weights at home. Literally the hardest part is getting out of bed, putting on a bra and shoes, and going down stairs. I don't eat anything, just have water. Although I am hungry in the mornings I can’t work out right after eating and can’t warrant waking up at 3:30 AM just to eat. For the first few mins I am sluggish but 5-10 minutes in and I am warmed up and ready to go. I’m done by 5, make a healthy breakfast then hop in the shower and get ready for work.

I have found that I have more energy in the mornings now and I set myself off on the right foot for a healthy day. Since I already have my work out in for the day, I feel much more accomplished and make smarter choices like a healthier lunch and a walk instead of going out for lunch. As of right now I curse my alarm when it goes off, but I know it takes 21 days to make a habit. I am trying hard to wake up at that time every day for the next few weeks so I can become like some of you who say it is super natural and your body wakes up at that time.
  • holatrish32
    holatrish32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I workout in the mornings on my days off but evenings on work days as I do 5 weight training sessions and I do not know how anyone can weight train on an empty stomach. Is this all fasted cardio people are talking about? I would find it hard to eat v early in the morning and would rather not train if I have to do it fasted (unless it's cardio training)
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have to work out in the morning because my body is wound up for about 4 hours after any work out and I can't sleep. It's crazy hard for me, because getting out of bed is hard, period. Having a work out buddy made it the easiest. But I don't have one now, so I prep everything the night before and try to make it as convenient as possible (i.e. on the way to work so I have no excuse not to if I am going to work anyway, that sort of thing).
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I started doing 5:45 AM classes last year, three times a week, when my schedule permits (work 7P-7A three times a week, no set schedule). It was very hard to do in the beginning. I have to put my clothes in the bathroom the night before and even fill my coffee mug with water and pick out my K-cup. Once the alarm goes, I try to pretend I overslept and hit the ground running. Once I'm dressed and the hair is pulled into a ponytail, I'm fine. Now it's a lot easier to do because I enjoy the classes and the people who show up for all of them. I even make my work schedule so I can make these classes.

Foodwise, I used to make toast and have a hardboiled egg with the coffee. Now it's just the coffee and water and I eat when I get home.
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Motivation is fleeting. It comes and goes like the wind. What you really need to do is dig down deep and grab hold of your determination. If you're determined, you will do whatever it takes to reach your goals. It's a mind thing- it's just something you have to decide for yourself. When the motivation isn't there, that's when you need to find your determination. That being said, I work out in the AM because I found that for me, it really helps me stay on track with my eating habits throughout the day. And it just makes me feel more energized and less lazy.
  • CynoO
    CynoO Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I work out early in the morning before my mind wakes up and realizes what the hell I am doing to my body lol
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

How do you have energy to do your workout tho? Do u eat anything before your workout?

Because ive tried it once and I was starving and didn't have energy to continue my workout [/quote]

I think the answer is just that everyone is different, I've tried eating before a workout and it was horrible-literally made me nauseous. If for some reason I was starving I would probably just eat some spoonfuls of my oatmeal. It's more important for me to get 8 hours sleep and if I can do that I'm feeling pretty good. If you are starving then your body just requires fuel before a workout and a lot of people are the same as you. Just try to find what will give you that energy boost to do your workout and maybe try eating some before and some after workout.
  • thieambe
    thieambe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not early, we hit up our box at 9. Our baby wakes about 7:30 so 9 is great. You couldn't pay me to go to a 5:30 AM class.
  • dowelahmed
    dowelahmed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm normally a morning person anyway so my body clock gets me up and ready, going for an early morning run certainly wakes me up (especially on a chilly day!). A glass of water keeps me sorted, I might also have a gel when it's a long run.

It was tough at first but sometimes forcing myself up was the only way to get into a routine, it also gives me an excuse to have a bigger breakfast!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yup. Up at 3:45. At the gym by 4:45. Done by 7.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Once you make it a habit, it does start to get easier. I'm NOT a morning person (but working out early avoids kids interference, tiredness, getting too busy to workout, and I find, somehow, I'm less hungry if I eat first thing). This is how I started: I get up at 6, drink a pint of water, wash my face, and brush my teeth. I have my entire exercise outfit in the bathroom ready to put on. Sometimes I have a cup of coffee, but mostly I drink a pint of water to rehydrate, and I am not hungry when I work out and have more energy. I exercise in a room in my basement and everything is all set up for me - I don't have to get out dvds, weights, uncover a treadmill, etc.

I love the feeling of having the workout done in the morning. And, like PP said, I love having my evenings free from workouts, especially now that I have small children.

Now, if I oversleep or something, even working out one hour later at 7, I'm too hungry. So, maybe wake up 1/2 hour early and experiment? Or, have an apple or piece of toast or something quick.
  • katbarnes23
    katbarnes23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I go to my gym at 5am on the weekdays. I used to not eat anything first, but noticed I was feeling sluggish so now I have 1 or 2 "energy bites." You can find lots of recipes on pinterest. Mine have oats, peanut butter, espresso powder, maple syrup, flax meal, and shredded coconut. They are like a dessert to me so they are my "treat" to bribe myself to get out of bed! I will have them in the refrigerator and can just grab one on my way out the door. I also put my gym clothes in the bathroom the night before so I can roll out of bed and get ready as quickly as possible. I miss being able to stay up later at night watching tv, but I just go to bed earlier so I can still get enough sleep. It really does become a routine. And of course, it helps to do something you are looking forward to - a great class at the gym, meet a friend to walk, etc.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm out of bed by 5:20am 4 days a week. LIke someone else said, I get up before I allow my brain to wake up and tell me to stay in bed. I get up that early because life gets in the way after work and the gym was always pushed to the side. By making it a priority and a daily appointment, I don't ever skip. I also always remind myself of how I feel when I'm finished and I feel so much better than if I'd slept in.

One tip I would give is to have your workout clothes ready the night before. I walk past them, half awake, grab them and change right away. Once I'm in my workout clothes I'm good to go. It's like putting on a uniform and knowing it's time to go to work.

• mtigleanu
    mtigleanu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mornings work for me and I've been doing it for more than two years already. I got P90X3 program and set my basement up for working out, with flooring mats, free weights and an elliptical machine. I followed P90X fully and those three months helped me create the habit. I now easily wake up at 5am, warm up on the elliptical for 20 mins and do the routine P90X for 30 mins. Having a routine helps keeping it on and fights boredom. I don't eat before exercising, only a quick snack after I get ready for work, before I leave. This means a banana or smoothie or a protein bar. I eat my breakfast at work and delay lunch after 1 pm. I go to bed early, 9 pm the latest, so my dinners are very light or nonexistent sometimes.