Does protein make you gain weight?

2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    janjunie wrote: »
    But eating 20g of protein other than 20g of sugar is better for you right? Or will it not make a difference in my body?

In what way? If you are short on protein for the day then the protein bar would be better, but if you aren't it's not going to make a difference.

Well, protein is better for the body when compared to sugar. The body will metabolize protein more effectively than sugar unless there is an underlying illness.

This is a bit of a pet peeve. Something being more desirable for a specific purpose does not make it "better" in the abstract.

Between fats, carbs (including sugar), and protein, it is protein that has the longest path and highest cost of being converted to usable energy.

So I would expect one to argue that it metabolises the least effectively.

Whether that by itself makes it better for one's body... better for what purpose?

Again I point out to the op who wants confirmation that sugar is evil and protein good that for the purpose of weigh loss an appropriate caloric balance such that they achieve a ~10% to ~25% deficit is the only thing that is important.

Their macro balance may or may not help them achieve that deficit, but worrying about the macro balance first is putting the cart in front of the horse.

with that being said, what nutritional benefits does sugar actually have when someone is trying to lose weight? Because I am well aware of the benefits of protein satiety, muscle repair the list goes on, now sugar does what exactly for weight loss?

I use sugar to fuel before and after my workouts. Quick energy.. raises insulin.. gets things moving faster. I believe whey protein can do this too but I enjoy my candy ;)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    A Fuji Apple and a little bag of peanut M&M's on one of my all day hikes, fits nicely in my backpack and puts pep back in my step.