Vacation woes

So I've already posted about maintenance while on vacation, but I had another question. Does anyone travel with anything special (shakes/powder, bands, food scale, etc.) when going on vacation to support maintenance?

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I just work more activity in to my day every day. It's not hard considering I'm not tethered to a desk all day. I don't worry about the odd pound - it'll come off within a few days when I get home and revert to normal eating habits.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Nope - When I travel it is usually not to some deserted island here if I need something I buy it there
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    For dance exchanges & workshop weekends (rather than vacations), I'll often bring some of my containers of yogurt & oats or Clif bars or other 'on the run' quick food (but a lot of that is due to limited control over schedule and wanting something I can grab in the morning or when hungry without having to resort to fast food). A leisurely vacation, probably not. (And on those I usually have takeout containers from dinner that I left on the AC vent in the hotel room to eat in the morning so I don't have to wait for food).
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited May 2017
    No way! I travel with a lot of clothes and footwear, not to mention the new additions I would be purchasing while I'm there. I need all the space I can get!

Plus I can last a long time in between meals so I don't need to bring snacks either.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I was worried about my last small vacation because I knew I'd be spending a lot of time sedentary in the car, and I'm used to well over an hour of activity a day. Turns out, when I don't move as much, I'm not as hungry. Who'd have thought? It was pretty easy to make smarter choices and eat smaller portions when the "runger" wasn't as bad. By the time we left for home, the hotel mini-fridge had enough leftover half-sandwiches and salads that I had plenty of food for the 12 hour drive home LOL!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Where are you going??? I love vacations! I bring workout clothes and workout at the resort or hotel. Other than that I dont log weigh anything. I don't think about it. Enjoy vacation!
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    I am going on vacation in a few weeks and I don't plan on taking anything "diet" related. I am going to estimate my calories just to have the information, but not truely weighing and logging. It is only for 10 days and I plan on enjoying myself and not being tied to a scale or my food diary.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    I pack protein bars. Family vacations are very unstructured for us, so sometimes lunch will be at 3 pm or dinner at 10 pm and while the kids snack on crackers, granola bars and other quick non perishable things I have a Quest bar to tide me over for a bit. I don't bring a scale or any exercise equipment, I let loose and generally just being active throughout the day's activities balances out the extra calories I eat.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    No.. its my vacation to enjoy my self, take a break from everything, especially from my food scale, and definitely do not want to be drinking protein shakes or bars on my vacation, I don't enjoy them all that much at home when I'm short on protein let alone while on vacation..
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Where are you going??? I love vacations! I bring workout clothes and workout at the resort or hotel. Other than that I dont log weigh anything. I don't think about it. Enjoy vacation!

Thank you! I plan to enjoy it, haha. I'm going to st. Maarten
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    I went on vacation recently and maintained. I was quite happy. I brought a ton of snacks but really didn't eat them. I enjoyed the food and listened to my belly. And yes on vacation many times we are very active easily burning extra calories. Enjoy yourself !
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I take protein bars to snack on until I get to the destination (depending how long) but once I'm there I just log as best I can without measuring cups or a scale. Has always turned out fine in the past!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    nichell88 wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »

Thank you! I plan to enjoy it, haha. I'm going to st. Maarten

I love St Maarten.
    If you are anything like me your days will be hiking, walking, swimming, and snorkling, with a good bit of lazing on the beach with a cool drink in your hand thrown in for luck.

There are some incredibly good local restaurants and bars that serve delicious food that can be quite low cal, others are just your run of the mill deep fried get anywhere in the USA establishments. Go for the local and experiment with flavours.

Don't take any supplements or your scale with you. Yes you will probably over eat a bit, but your activity level could be way higher that it is at home.
    Keep in mind your portion sizes and try not to have too many fru fru cocktails as they are calorie bombs- do have a few though B)

It will take a week or two to shed the water weight from flying, heat, and excess sodium, so don't panic when you get home.

Cheers, h.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    nichell88 wrote: »
    So I've already posted about maintenance while on vacation, but I had another question. Does anyone travel with anything special (shakes/powder, bands, food scale, etc.) when going on vacation to support maintenance?

Yes!!! My bike, my skis, my swim gear, and my hiking stuff.

I wind up losing weight every time I go anywhere. :neutral:
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    I do! I find a gym wherever I am (except OBX - there are NO gyms there apparently, I don't get it) and pay the guest fee so I can continue to lift heavy during vacation. So, I bring my whey and also my pre-workout. I also bring protein bars in order to save calories for a big dinner with dessert every night.
  • elizabethmcr
    elizabethmcr Posts: 6 Member
    In my opinion, part of maintaining is being able to spend a week indulging. You come home and hold yourself accountable! I say relax on your vacation. Have a donut, go out for pizza, etc. Make sure you get as much physical activity as possible. When you come home just hit the gym hard and reduce calories for a week or two to make up for it.

You could also loose five pounds before your trip so that you don't feel guilty if you gain a bit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    the only thing I bring is my work out gear ....