Pro Tip: Just Don't Drink

Options
1235»

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Here's what I truly don't understand about these posts: when someone is trying to share a thing that works for them, and they openly say it worked just for them, and then they admit that it may not be for everyone else, people still find the need to, more or less, say "you're wrong." As said pretty explicitly, it was just trying to share information with potential to help other people. I had hoped I selected the correct forum for that. Anyway, cue the responses calling me a "snow flake" who can't hear someone "tellin' it like it is." Sure.

I appreciate you folks sharing about one drink per week or even one per night. I don't think that's comparable to what I'm talking about with (in the ballpark of) four or five drinks per evening. I do believe, if I had the will power, that one drink per night wouldn't be too terrible for me. The point of the post, and I may not have made it very clear, is that I realize I DO NOT have the will power and, by cutting it out for a period of time, I'm experiencing further success.

I remember why I quit posting on forums. I thought this post was pretty benign, but I suppose I am mistaken.

Lots of people don't read past the title. Lots of others read but have poor comprehension. And then there are those that are just being contrary.

I got it too, even though I can't relate personally. I hardly ever drink alcohol, and wouldn't miss it if I never did again.

Thank you. Those were all good reminders. I kind of swore of the forum thing (or attempted to) for a year or so.
  • JustinAnimal
    edited May 2017
    Options
    newmeadow: RESPECT (pounds chest). I haven't given it up for good, but my gut tells me it'd be a good idea. Advice is appreciated.

redheadedwhatever: never claimed to be an expert. In fact, tried as hard as possible to indicate that the whole fat processing thing was total hearsay, hence me not citing my sources. It may not be true. Most of what I said may not be true for anyone. It happens to be for me, my bizarre psychology, genetics, whatever else might factor in. As for my fitness level or frequency of exercise... so be it. You're right. I didn't know how to properly label it. YOU GOT ME!

As for my response, which you are looking forward to... I don't know what else to say. I agree that moderation is good. Sounds like you have it under control. I don't. I don't begrudge you your one drink. I don't think it'll set you up for failure. I do appreciate you publicly calling me alcoholic. Did you have a specific question you wanted me to answer?

Anyway, good times.

You say want discussion, but come across as defensive when I ask genuine questions. I assure you, I never assumed nor implied you an expert. I was not trying to "get you". How ridiculous.

Bizzare genetics? Hah.

And yea, 4-5 drinks a day, and the inability to stop (your words) fit the clinical definition of alcoholic addiction. I base it on the Diagnostic and Statistic Manual 5. I am not judging, it is a simple clinical observation based on the minimal information you provided. Take that as you will. But also recall I gave praise for stopping.

You ask for conversation and respect, yes refer to me as redheadwhatever, despite the fact my username is right there. You don't want conversation. You want to expouse the value of sobriety and for others to agree.

Cheers.

Edited to delete the page-long rant in response.

Instead, I'll say this: the only thing I took exception to in your last post is that you believe I'm trying to "expouse" sobriety. I am not. I am sharing that I've had success with weight loss and I welcome opinions to the contrary.

I'm doubting that lifetime sobriety for me will ever happen.

As to your questions that you say I refuse to answer, I already let you know I don't know to which questions you are referring. Ask them and I will answer.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    i tend to not eat if i'm drinking which works for my deficit but not for my hangover.

I generally don't eat if I'm drinking but I make sure to drink plenty of water along the way and after I finish up. I also like to have some powerade zero to help replace electrolytes.

OP, I do think your title comes across as more aggressive than (I hope) you intended. In your post, you talk about your own experiences, but the title is grammatically phrased as a command for others. And that title is the first thing people see, so it kind of sets the tone.

Glad you've found something that works for you though :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,104 Member
    Options
    It seems, unlike most here, not only am I different in being satisfied with one drink, but it doesn't give me the munchies.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Here's what I truly don't understand about these posts: when someone is trying to share a thing that works for them, and they openly say it worked just for them, and then they admit that it may not be for everyone else, people still find the need to, more or less, say "you're wrong." As said pretty explicitly, it was just trying to share information with potential to help other people. I had hoped I selected the correct forum for that. Anyway, cue the responses calling me a "snow flake" who can't hear someone "tellin' it like it is." Sure.

I appreciate you folks sharing about one drink per week or even one per night. I don't think that's comparable to what I'm talking about with (in the ballpark of) four or five drinks per evening. I do believe, if I had the will power, that one drink per night wouldn't be too terrible for me. The point of the post, and I may not have made it very clear, is that I realize I DO NOT have the will power and, by cutting it out for a period of time, I'm experiencing further success.

I remember why I quit posting on forums. I thought this post was pretty benign, but I suppose I am mistaken.

Well your OP did end with "Feel free to confirm or deny what I've said. I always enjoy conversation."

I think the "Pro Tip:" might also have been a trigger.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Anything is fine in moderation.

Sorry to be argumentative, but this just isn't true. There are many things people consume one way or another that are not safe for them at any significant quantity.

Even alcohol is not safe for certain people at any level. It has been shown that different people have intrinsically different ability to metabolize alcohol and that it changes with age. Some people have an addictive predilection.

In the end, everyone has to determine their acceptable limit, which could be zero.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Doesn't alcohol also cause you to pee at such a rate that it's hard to stay hydrated? Which I imagine would also make weight loss harder. Personally I don't drink much because I just don't like the taste of alcohol, and my inhibitions can lower without getting tipsy so what's the point, lol.

Sidenote, just because you're hanging with your friends at a bar doesn't mean you have to drink . . . Your friends won't hassle you about it unless they're *kitten*, in which case get new friends. Also a lot of people love having a designated driver along.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    It seems, unlike most here, not only am I different in being satisfied with one drink, but it doesn't give me the munchies.

You're not alone! I generally have 5 oz wine in the evening after dinner. No munchies, no desire for more alcohol. Even on the occasions I eat out with my husband and we split a bottle, drinking it over a couple of hours or so, I'm fine with just a couple of glasses (although I log it as 12.5 oz to be cautious), and don't eat any more than I would ordinarily. Alcohol affects everyone individually, and it's important we stay in tune with our bodies and emotional health when indulging. If I found I needed that glass of wine, or that I was having "just a little more" each evening I would have to take a hard look at what was going on, and maybe restrict or eliminate altogether. If I ever detected addictive tendencies (and there are substance abusers in my family) I would drop it in a heartbeat. This applies to me alone of course, but I do think there are plenty of others out there with the same perspective.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Doesn't alcohol also cause you to pee at such a rate that it's hard to stay hydrated? Which I imagine would also make weight loss harder. Personally I don't drink much because I just don't like the taste of alcohol, and my inhibitions can lower without getting tipsy so what's the point, lol.

Sidenote, just because you're hanging with your friends at a bar doesn't mean you have to drink . . . Your friends won't hassle you about it unless they're *kitten*, in which case get new friends. Also a lot of people love having a designated driver along.

I've never been much of a drinker to begin with so I've always felt like a little kid because my friends will order drinks and then it's my turn and I say, "can i just have a diet coke, please?"

HardER, maybe, but not that hard.

And bartenders get that all the time. They probably figure you're the designated driver.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

I've never been much of a drinker to begin with so I've always felt like a little kid because my friends will order drinks and then it's my turn and I say, "can i just have a diet coke, please?"

HardER, maybe, but not that hard.

And bartenders get that all the time. They probably figure you're the designated driver.

You know, for some reason I never thought of that.

Excellent. Now I am a responsible adult.

That's usually my excuse as well. Best part is, some bars will actually give you a free (non-alcoholic) drink if you're the designated driver (at least around here). :wink:

The mentally changed quite radically from a few years ago where, even as the designated driver, you ended up being almost harassed to have a drink ("Come on, one won't hurt!!!!"). Since they lowered the tolerance on what counts as DUI (one drink and you've pretty much hit the limits), that pretty much went away.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Doesn't alcohol also cause you to pee at such a rate that it's hard to stay hydrated?

What? No.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Ingestion of alcohol suppresses release of vasopressin, which is the hormone regulating the kidneys to return water to your bloodstream. Alcohol is a diuretic and this is what most people refer to as a hangover. So yes, but the effects are temporary and fixed by drinking water.

Club soda and lime is my go to when I'm out but don't feel like drinking.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

Well your OP did end with "Feel free to confirm or deny what I've said. I always enjoy conversation."

I think the "Pro Tip:" might also have been a trigger.

I think you're absolutely correct. I was under the impression that it was more of a common expression, not a claim that I am a professional. Otherwise, my posting profile would look like ninerbuff.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just a few points that stand out to me, if I may:
    To begin with, I'd say I exercise pretty decently during the week. I'm currently obsessed with HIIT routines and do 4-6 per week. Other than that, I pretty much just chase around my two-year-old son, go on the occasional walk / hike, do yard work, etc. I wouldn't call myself any kind of fitness buff or fanatic.

This is a LOT of exercise a week. MFP would consider this very active. Let's be real here, please.
    On top of that, I'd have (in the neighborhood of) 2-5 drinks per evening....I was once told that, as long as you have alcohol in your system, your body is unable to process fat (it just stores it). I'd go as many as one or two days without drinking, but then get back after it.

a) This sounds like alcoholism, which means no longer drinking was an excellent decision for you. Kudos.

b) Please provide peer reviewed, medical references regarding the bodies inability to process fat when one has had a drink.

I have 1 beer or glass of wine a night, and half the time, half the beer goes into my plants (it's crazy but it works wonders). This has never had an impact on my results. My fat *kitten* going to Arby's is the problem. But I digress.

Is it an easy way to cut calories? Of course. Am I setting myself up for failure by having a beer with my burger or a nice, chewy Merlot with my steak? Of course not. I look forward to your response.

ETA what the crap is with the kitten?? That's not what I typed... :p

You must be a blast at parties. Relax.

Oh honey. It's funny how you think that how one responds to a post and ones personality at parties are related. I want evidence when someone presents a statement as if it were fact, so that makes me a bore. Ho hum. I'm terribly insulted.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never drank in my life. Of course, being diagnosed with a chronic kidney disease at 17 had a LOT to do with that.