Pro Tip: Just Don't Drink

Options

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    ksz1104 wrote: »
    When I no longer have a toddler, I'll stop drinking

My honey wanted me to pick up some baby wipes for a camping trip. I went to the nearest Safeway to get them. It wasn't obvious where they were kept, so I wound up asking an employee there. He led me to the alcohol isle, and, at the end were diapers, wipes, and other things. He told me they keep the alcohol and baby products together because one causes the other.

It's an endless loop. Alcohol causes baby. Baby causes alcohol. Alcohol causes baby. And so on. Yes, having a two-year-old (and a newborn, and whatever comes after toddler) has done much to drive us to drink.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

My honey wanted me to pick up some baby wipes for a camping trip. I went to the nearest Safeway to get them. It wasn't obvious where they were kept, so I wound up asking an employee there. He led me to the alcohol isle, and, at the end were diapers, wipes, and other things. He told me they keep the alcohol and baby products together because one causes the other.

It's an endless loop. Alcohol causes baby. Baby causes alcohol. Alcohol causes baby. And so on. Yes, having a two-year-old (and a newborn, and whatever comes after toddler) has done much to drive us to drink.

Many people have babies when they are sober. Just saying.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

Jaysus! It was a joke!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    "This is what worked for me. It may or may not work for you but I found it helpful and wanted to share." These words are your friends. Pro tip. We're a prickly lot sometimes. For what it's worth, I understood the spirit of your post.

Congrats on your recent success, and the impending arrival :smile:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Here's what I truly don't understand about these posts: when someone is trying to share a thing that works for them, and they openly say it worked just for them, and then they admit that it may not be for everyone else, people still find the need to, more or less, say "you're wrong." As said pretty explicitly, it was just trying to share information with potential to help other people. I had hoped I selected the correct forum for that. Anyway, cue the responses calling me a "snow flake" who can't hear someone "tellin' it like it is." Sure.

I appreciate you folks sharing about one drink per week or even one per night. I don't think that's comparable to what I'm talking about with (in the ballpark of) four or five drinks per evening. I do believe, if I had the will power, that one drink per night wouldn't be too terrible for me. The point of the post, and I may not have made it very clear, is that I realize I DO NOT have the will power and, by cutting it out for a period of time, I'm experiencing further success.

I remember why I quit posting on forums. I thought this post was pretty benign, but I suppose I am mistaken.

Lots of people don't read past the title. Lots of others read but have poor comprehension. And then there are those that are just being contrary.

I got it too, even though I can't relate personally. I hardly ever drink alcohol, and wouldn't miss it if I never did again.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Sure. They have 9 months to sober up and realize what they've done. :fearful:
  • huruta22
    huruta22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I drink wine almost daily, ~2 glasses of wine with dinner. I don't drink beer or hard liquor - just wine. It is part of a meal to me. I am cutting back frequency of nights with wine to lose weight but wine+dinner+husband = satisfying meal time and all are key elements to me. I currently not willing to take the joy out of meal time and am finding other ways to cut back.

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I found that if I watched TV in the evening - I would want to have a beer in hand until the program was over. So I stopped watching TV.

Seriously though. Drinking too many beers and eating too much food is what put the weight on. Cutting down on both is what's taking it off.

cheers
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    I totally agree with keeping your mind active bit. If I'm in front of the t.v. I have the same urge. If I stay busier until later, like doing dishes and laundry after I've eaten dinner and put my kid to bed, I have much less of a chance to start drinking. Last night, I brushed my teeth after I put him to bed and that kept me to water, no snacks or booze. It's sort of like being at work. Not only is it good because you're making money, but also it's good because I can't spend any money.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Thing is - when someone here says they've started a diet cutting out this and that - the reaction is typically - will it be sustainable in the long run?

I have no intention of giving up my home brew or craft beers in the short run, let alone the long run. So I have learned to be more moderate in my intake.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have never lost weight without cutting out all alcohol, at least for a few months. Given a goal of 1500kcals, there just isn't room in the budget!

Then there's the double whammy of lowered self control. You know what goes great with a beer? Another beer!
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just a few points that stand out to me, if I may:
    To begin with, I'd say I exercise pretty decently during the week. I'm currently obsessed with HIIT routines and do 4-6 per week. Other than that, I pretty much just chase around my two-year-old son, go on the occasional walk / hike, do yard work, etc. I wouldn't call myself any kind of fitness buff or fanatic.

This is a LOT of exercise a week. MFP would consider this very active. Let's be real here, please.
    On top of that, I'd have (in the neighborhood of) 2-5 drinks per evening....I was once told that, as long as you have alcohol in your system, your body is unable to process fat (it just stores it). I'd go as many as one or two days without drinking, but then get back after it.

a) This sounds like alcoholism, which means no longer drinking was an excellent decision for you. Kudos.

b) Please provide peer reviewed, medical references regarding the bodies inability to process fat when one has had a drink.

I have 1 beer or glass of wine a night, and half the time, half the beer goes into my plants (it's crazy but it works wonders). This has never had an impact on my results. My fat *kitten* going to Arby's is the problem. But I digress.

Is it an easy way to cut calories? Of course. Am I setting myself up for failure by having a beer with my burger or a nice, chewy Merlot with my steak? Of course not. I look forward to your response.

ETA what the crap is with the kitten?? That's not what I typed... :p

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This is a LOT of exercise a week. MFP would consider this very active. Let's be real here, please.

FYI, activity levels on MFP are for your work and lifestyle, but they specifically exclude exercise. Which means however much exercise you do doesn't affect whether you're sedentary or somewhat pretty active or what. That's why everybody's whose calorie goal comes from MFP is supposed to eat their exercise calories back, the daily goal already has a deficit built in.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    b) Please provide peer reviewed, medical references regarding the bodies inability to process fat when one has had a drink.

Stickler!

Well, [Suter, Crit. Rev. Clin. Lab Sci. 42(3), pp197-227, 2005] states clearly in the abstract:

"Experimental evidence from several metabolic studies showed a suppression of lipid oxidation by alcohol and thus the enhancement of a positive fat balance."

Hah!

However, in all truth, reading the abstract in its entirety shows that there is much uncertainty in this statement. I'm absolutely convinced that having a drink a day is fine (and maybe beneficial), so long as you don't go over your plan. It's the last statement that's the glitch for me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16047538