Cannot lose weight and gain muscle? Whats the Science behind this??

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Here's five examples from personal experience:

1/ Teenage to early 20's - male primed for easy, fast muscle growth. Relatively few training years. "Getting in shape" meant gaining muscle size whilst losing fat for overall weight loss. Probably an element of training harder than most people and perhaps somewhat genetically gifted.
    2/ Age 31 - recovering from major injury and months on crutches. Quickly regained 3" of a 5" loss of quad circumference whilst losing some of the weight I had gained.
    3/ Early 40's - switch up of exercise routine, far more volume, slow weight loss. Modest but measurable/noticeable muscle size gains and small weight loss.
    4/ Early 50's - returning to a previous training level, very small calorie deficit, working hard in the gym, good protein intake. Six months gaining approx. 1lb muscle and losing 2lbs of fat per month.
    5/ Age 57 - more intelligent exercise programming (thanks SideSteal....), very small calorie deficit. Gained some size in arms and chest, lost fat, lost a little weight.

Really if you are over fat, under trained (under a previous level or current genetic potential), have a small deficit, good protein intake, work hard in the gym and don't expect to look like Arnie then yes it's possible, especially for males.

And the worst that might happen if you do all the right things is achieving the personal best that you could have - whether that's adding a little muscle or preserving the maximum amount you could is really irrelevant.

I don't understand why there are so many who are married to the idea that it's impossible to cut pounds and gain muscle from a 40lb+ overfat situation.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    It's the same as people who say muscle weighs more than fat.. it does not it is more dense than fat.. with density being a function of mass and volume.. You can CONVERT fat to muscle while losing weight. Look at long distance runners...we are all lean as hell, and we are almost exclusively muscle.

if you could convert fat to muscle then obese people who start lifting while obese would become ripped. it doesnt work that way.

If they eat at maintenance they will become after a long time. Surely you've heard of recomp?
    The conversion is not direct of course. The fat is converted into energy which with the aminoacids you ingest is turned into muscle mass when you train progressively.

Im not talking about recomp. I do know what recomp is. you cannot change fat cells into muscle and you cannot turn fat into muscle.fat can be converted into energy sure but that is not how muscle mass is made https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/musclesgrowLK.html
    https://examine.com/nutrition/will-lifting-weights-convert-my-fat-into-muscle/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My take is it's not that you're converting fat cells into muscle cells, it's that you're building muscle cells through lifting weights and you're body is burning the fat cells to power the new muscle cells.

nope. when you lose fat,your fat cells shrink they dont convert into anything else,they stay fat cells. if you were to gain weight they would enlarge again.

how is this a nope?

the poster said not converting but using the energy in the fat cells which is basically true...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    My take is it's not that you're converting fat cells into muscle cells, it's that you're building muscle cells through lifting weights and you're body is burning the fat cells to power the new muscle cells.

nope. when you lose fat,your fat cells shrink they dont convert into anything else,they stay fat cells. if you were to gain weight they would enlarge again.

how is this a nope?

the poster said not converting but using the energy in the fat cells which is basically true...

I misread on that one,I saw that their take was they were converting one from another so I will fix that. but I still stand by you cant covert one cell to another
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

how is this a nope?

I misread on that one. so I will fix that. but I still stand by you cant covert one cell to another

absolutely...I still am in shock it was said.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    terryt1992 wrote: »
    I think from what I have read you cannot technically convert muscle into fat although the recomp process seems to be similar to that but instead of the fat actually converting your body will use the fat as energy to repair your muscles. Thanks everyone for the advice though. I think that I am going to continue with my cardio routine and change up my strength training a little just to make it more consistent. My goal of course it to gain muscle but as long as I am getting stronger and losing weight then I am okay with that for now because I still have about 100lbs to lose

Stick with it and enjoy getting stronger.
  • FlattoPhat
    FlattoPhat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I never believed it. I think it depends on how much your are cutting. If you're eating 500 cals a day, you may not build muscle.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    To me, "you can't gain muscle while losing fat" stems from the same misconception as "you must not eat below your BMR." Both presume your body makes a judgment about what kinds of energy deficits it's willing to tap into fat stores for.

"You ran a half marathon today and you want me to recover 1000 kcal from fat stores, but you'll still be above your BMR? Cool. You lay in bed all all day because you're sick, and really couldn't stomach a whole lot of food, and now you're about 100 calories below your BMR, and you want me to recover 500 kcal from fat stores so you can reach your sedentary TDEE?!?!? Are you crazy?!?!? No way!!"

"You lifted yesterday and you've eaten plenty of protein, and you want me to tap your more-than-adequate fat stores to make up your deficit of X calories, including the energy needed for the process of rebuilding muscle? I don't think so. Sure I'll get X calories from fat stores if you create an equivalent deficit from some other combination of calorie input and calorie output, but no way am I going to tap the fat stores to make up for a deficit that includes either calories burned lifting or calories used in rebuilding muscle. Uh-uh. No way. Not ... gonna ... happen."
  • gurinderGill1311
    gurinderGill1311 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dear terryT1992
    Point 1 : fat cannot be converted into muscles
    Point 2 : to lose fat you need to be in calories deficit
    Point 3: to gain muscle you need to be on calories surplus.
    Now I am not saying that you can't gain muscles while loosing fat, you can but that won't be right approach.
    The difference you will see in your body after few months will be next to none.
    The best approach is to bring your body fat % to 12-13% and then focus on muscle gain. This is help to avoide excess fat gain during gaining season and you can gain a lean muscle mass.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    To me, "you can't gain muscle while losing fat" stems from the same misconception as "you must not eat below your BMR." Both presume your body makes a judgment about what kinds of energy deficits it's willing to tap into fat stores for.

"You ran a half marathon today and you want me to recover 1000 kcal from fat stores, but you'll still be above your BMR? Cool. You lay in bed all all day because you're sick, and really couldn't stomach a whole lot of food, and now you're about 100 calories below your BMR, and you want me to recover 500 kcal from fat stores so you can reach your sedentary TDEE?!?!? Are you crazy?!?!? No way!!"

"You lifted yesterday and you've eaten plenty of protein, and you want me to tap your more-than-adequate fat stores to make up your deficit of X calories, including the energy needed for the process of rebuilding muscle? I don't think so. Sure I'll get X calories from fat stores if you create an equivalent deficit from some other combination of calorie input and calorie output, but no way am I going to tap the fat stores to make up for a deficit that includes either calories burned lifting or calories used in rebuilding muscle. Uh-uh. No way. Not ... gonna ... happen."

Repairing muscle != making more than you had before. You can build some extra muscle in a deficit but the amount is limited compared to actually having ample building material at the ready.
    From an evolutionary view this makes perfect sense, not only does building extra muscle increase your deficit, having the extra muscle increases your TDEE (by a bit at least). Not exactly things that would be beneficial to surviving in a (as perceived by your body) shortage of food.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The science supports obese beginners to lifting being able to do both unenhanced.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-build-muscle-and-lose-fat/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    @terryt1992 The thing about strength training is DO IT.
    That you began your weight loss journey with strength training is FABULOUS.
    That you've lose 80 lb is WONDERFUL.

You benefited from strength training because you were previously out of condition, overweight, and flabby.
    For people such as you were, strength training in a calorie deficit can indeed cause muscle growth, but that's only going to be about half as much as you'd get in a calorie surplus. The ability to grow muscle in a calorie deficit disappears as you become more fit, more well conditioned, and closer to a healthy weight. DON'T STOP LIFTING.

Lifting is going to be the best thing you can do to reduce the appearance of loose skin, and the best thing you can do to preserve as much muscle as possible while you continue to lose weight.

Started lifting at 225, now we here. It helps tremendously with looking how you expect to look post cut

ae6ngc849nkd.jpg

Take advantage of the lean mass you have by being obese in the first place. The only good thing to come out of my weight problem hahaha TONS of lean mass from hauling around lard!

Out of curiosity, how active were you before losing weight? I was very sedentary and while I've lifted through all but a few months of weight loss, I don't have nearly the lean mass you do. I'm assuming you weren't as sloth-like as me but I thought I'd ask :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    @terryt1992 The thing about strength training is DO IT.
    That you began your weight loss journey with strength training is FABULOUS.
    That you've lose 80 lb is WONDERFUL.

You benefited from strength training because you were previously out of condition, overweight, and flabby.
    For people such as you were, strength training in a calorie deficit can indeed cause muscle growth, but that's only going to be about half as much as you'd get in a calorie surplus. The ability to grow muscle in a calorie deficit disappears as you become more fit, more well conditioned, and closer to a healthy weight. DON'T STOP LIFTING.

Lifting is going to be the best thing you can do to reduce the appearance of loose skin, and the best thing you can do to preserve as much muscle as possible while you continue to lose weight.

Started lifting at 225, now we here. It helps tremendously with looking how you expect to look post cut

ae6ngc849nkd.jpg

Take advantage of the lean mass you have by being obese in the first place. The only good thing to come out of my weight problem hahaha TONS of lean mass from hauling around lard!

Out of curiosity, how active were you before losing weight? I was very sedentary and while I've lifted through all but a few months of weight loss, I don't have nearly the lean mass you do. I'm assuming you weren't as sloth-like as me but I thought I'd ask :)

Before losing weight I had a desk job and my exercise was walking from the couch to the fridge lol

Ha! Too funny. Well you look fantastic :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @SezxyStef Good points, but I have to disagree on one... I've seen ultrarunners with calves like Henry Moore statues. :smile:

@lynn_glenmont

The first two make sense, but the last one makes my brain hurt.

General comments;

If you're lifting, you're still taking in calories. The body doesn't have to convert fat to energy for all the calories you're burning, so it has access to calories for muscle repair, assuming you're eating above your BMR.

I'd be interested (but probably out of my depth) to see a discussion on how/if the body can maintain anabolic and catabolic processes simultaneously, considering we all have the hormones that regulate both processes.

• beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i was 50 Ibs over weight n it was before the days of MFP. i had no tools n no knowledge back then. i ate better n went to.the gym 5 times a week lifting. i lose 50 Ibs of fat n maybe i gained 2 or 3 or none Ibs of muscle during the process. i was not big in any way but much more define n i can even see my six pack. it definitely LOOKS like i gained muscle

OP, regardless whether theres ANY muscle gain or not, it is the right thing for u to do. u will look n feel much better n people also will tell u that gain tons of muscle, even though they were just ur own original ones but was hiding under the fat n now they r stronger n more define.

IMHO, JUST DO IT!