Have you had success because of The Obesity Code (book)?

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Ah, the perspective of an ER doc. As a young fellow I worked for a time at the American College of Emergency Physicians, which remains the HQ of a professional credentialing institution for that specialty. I was the Mail Clerk. I opened all the mail, determined who should receive it, and distributed it to the correct party most of the time. One of the functions of the organization was the composition and publication of the peer-reviewed Journal of Emergency Medicine. ER docs with stories to tell would send their monographs to ACEP, and I would read them before routing them to the Editor. Not all the stories were published, but a sample of the stories which were offered for publishing can adequately illustrate the typical sense of humor of ER Docs. First, there was the story of how a doc saved the life of an 8-year old child who sat on a swimming pool drain. The suction pulled 20 feet of his lower and upper intestine out of his body. Second, there was the story of how to treat Fractured Penis Syndrome. I'm still not clear on the cure but the various causes were related in excruciating detail. A third that was offered showed all the tools and methods used to extract intact an incandescent light bulb from a man's lower colon.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Haven't read it, won't follow it, so by the guidelines set by the OP I have nothing to contribute.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    A couple of links to studies that show no muscle loss due to fasting. One as long as 72 hours.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/5/1244.abstract
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19508406

Forgot to attach them in the previous post.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    @AmyG1982 With 7 billion people in the world, someone somewhere has had success with any recommended way of eating.

At my workplace, I and another slim fellow count calories and hit macros. Another slim fellow counts fat and carbs and hits nutrients. We're all succeeding at weight management and know all about each other's methods, whether or not we care to substitute our own for theirs.

The best I can tell about Dr. Fung's theories, he seems to be focusing on people who already suffer from diabetes or metabolic syndrome. As such, his recommendations tend to be superfluous for healthy people, who do still constitute a majority in the population.

For now anyway. If current trends continue, I give it another four decades (if not less) before his approach would be well applied to the majority. Pretty sad, when you think about it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Current trends are unsustainable thank God. The earth simply can't support uncontained population growth, resource extraction and consumerism.

The trend is to get global population to 9 B and probably stabilize there. There's going to be a whole lot of resources extracted and consumed.
  • mmapags
    Options
    AmyG1982 wrote: »
    I'm not looking for a debate on if the theories in this book are correct or not or if there are other ways to achieve weight loss so please don't start...

I'm curious, has anyone read The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss by Dr. Jason Fung and lost more weight after following his advice? Just curious if anyone who's struggled to lose the traditional calories in vs. calories out way has had more success following what he suggests?

After re-reading your original post a couple of comments. I read the book. I think he comes to some good conclusions from some bad reasoning. His big miss is that calories don't matter.

That said, many of his other recommendations can be fairly good for overall health and can help with weight loss when combined with a calorie deficit and, for me, help with controlling hunger and satiety. FTR, I don't follow these methods because of reading his book. It was just the way my eating habits evolved.

Intermittent Fasting - I do and like it. Helps control hunger for me and helps with insulin sensitivity. There is some T2D history in my family.
    Complex carbs vs. simple carbs - Not bad for either health or satiety I follow the 80/20 rule loosely.

None of this is earth shattering. If you want to control hunger and be satisfied while in calorie deficit, try it. But calorie counting is still part of it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Is he using complex carbs in the correct sense, though? I take it he calls for the elimination of all starches including whole grains, legumes, tubers and the like? Simple carbs, are any okay like berries?
  • mmapags
    Options
    Is he using complex carbs in the correct sense, though? I take it he calls for the elimination of all starches including whole grains, legumes, tubers and the like? Simple carbs, are any okay like berries?

He does recommend the elimination of processed grains. Another area of disagreement that I have with him. Some are ok. Honestly, I don't think he has an issue with whole grains because of the fiber but I don't recall exactly. He was generally ok with whole fruits and veggies cause fiber.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I wondered how they could say "hours of starvation". After looking at the rest of the stuff I'm pretty sure they mean after any fuel from your last meal is used up or stored, not that you're starving the moment the fork is put down, so that adds another 8+ hours for digestion of your last meal.

It would also seem to me that if your last meal is fat and you're using dietary fat for fuel that you'd still go through the catabolic phase getting to day 8 when your body switches to using body fat for fuel.

I'm not seeing how using diet for fuel to using body stores of fuel would vary depending on the source of the dietary fuel.
  • mmapags
    Options

I wondered how they could say "hours of starvation". After looking at the rest of the stuff I'm pretty sure they mean after any fuel from your last meal is used up or stored, not that you're starving the moment the fork is put down, so that adds another 8+ hours for digestion of your last meal.

It would also seem to me that if your last meal is fat and you're using dietary fat for fuel that you'd still go through the catabolic phase getting to day 8 when your body switches to using body fat for fuel.

I'm not seeing how using diet for fuel to using body stores of fuel would vary depending on the source of the dietary fuel.

I agree. I remember reading something about this but I can't remember where. I seem to recall the catabolic phase at or after 72 hours. I could look it up if I didn't have an acre of lawn to cut and a wife that is giving the "are you gonna spend all day on that computer" look. :p Maybe later....
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Duplicate
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    https://myoleanfitness.com/evidence-caloric-restriction/

From page 1

eta: This is my opinion as well.