Keto Diet or Low-Carb

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I did low carb for a while, and it worked well enough... but I got tired of having "off limits" food groups. I'm now following the "always hungry" protocol, which is closer to a Mediterranean diet. Low(ish) carb and high (quality) fats.... I like it because its basically low carb but with more fruit and veggie allowances.

Add some whole grains and legumes and it's a repackaging of the South beach diet!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's a subset of low carb.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I would love more keto friends (add me!) for support and meal plan ideas. Does anyone make keto deserts? I haven't tried one yet the have looked at a lot of recipes. I'm still in my first week and I'm loving it.

Several folks are talking about desserts in the low carb group currently. (The one linked above)

I haven't posted there yet, but I experimented with a rhubarb crisp. Tasty and I will do again, but not as low carb as all that (rhubarb + nuts would do that, even without sugar/grains).

Umm, YUM!! I love rhubarb desserts.

So much AMEN to this!! ;) I too have a love affair with all things rhubarb!!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Is keto diet same as low carb?
    Low carb is eating under 150g carbs, and keto, I believe, ranges somewhere between 20-50g.
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    @kabbalahredstring1029 I've whipped double cream with vanilla whey protein and took it to the freezer for an hour. I thought it was delicious and simple, plus helped me through my PMS :-). In the past I'd eat a massive box of chocolates.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    KeiranFMAC wrote: »
    All diets whether they are keto, paleo, low carb, low fat all operate on the same basis of that the person doing it is on a calorie deficit. A calorie deficit will make you loose weight. All about calories in vs calories out. Carbs make you feel fuller and help with appetite so your not always hungry. If anything do carb cycling, so on training days have higher carbs lower fat and rest days higher fat lower carbs:) just make sure your hitting your macro nutrient targets.

The bolded is only true for some. For others, carbs can stimulate the appetite.

OMG no. Carbs make me want to eat my arm off. Protein and fats are fairly neutral for me, but if I eat carbs (especially more simple carbs like cake or fruit), I will be *starving* and looking for food all day long.

I guess to each his own.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    sumkay02 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out this keto thing, I have been doing a lot of reading today....I think I need someone to take me under their wing LoL

This group can help you. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Is keto diet same as low carb?
    Low carb is eating under 150g carbs, and keto, I believe, ranges somewhere between 20-50g.

That's about right, although some can be in ketosis at a higher carb intake (usually very active and metabolically healthy people) and some can take carbs to almost zero.
  • sumkay02
    sumkay02 Posts: 24 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    sumkay02 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out this keto thing, I have been doing a lot of reading today....I think I need someone to take me under their wing LoL

This group can help you. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thank you! I clicked on it to join :smile:
  • hannahdispatch911
    hannahdispatch911 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cort330 wrote: »
    Anyone following a low carb or Keto Diet eating plan?

Meee
  • kabbalahredstring1029
    kabbalahredstring1029 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I statrded by following the 3 week meal plan on Diet Doctor and feel in love with Keto! Now I look on multiple sites for inspiration.