Halo Top, where have you been all this time?

2»

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    bethanyka wrote: »
    There's one called Enlightened (I think that's the name or something similar ) that's good and low cal. I had the choc chip cookie dough and it was really good!

Hey another supporter! Lol. I just tried it and I think it's fairly new. It's amazing stuff! The texture is better than regular ice cream to me.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    medic2038 wrote: »
    I too just discovered halo top!
    It's definitely nice to be able to have some ice cream without completely destroying your macros for the day.

Just curious do all of the flavors have that somewhat "snowy" texture, or just the one I tried?
    By "snowy" I mean gets almost kind of powdery, instead of creamy like you'd expect from ice cream.

The first pint I got (mint chip flavor) was like this, very dry and powdery even after I let is melt a bit. I swore I wouldn't waste any more money on it, but when my local Wal-Mart started carrying halo top I decided to give it another shot. This time sea salt caramel. Completely different texture! Not quite 'real' ice cream, but far superior to the first pint I had. Not sure if it's a storage thing, a flavour thing, or something else but I've completely changed my opinion of HT now!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    It's definitely nice to be able to have some ice cream without completely destroying your macros for the day.

Just curious do all of the flavors have that somewhat "snowy" texture, or just the one I tried?
    By "snowy" I mean gets almost kind of powdery, instead of creamy like you'd expect from ice cream.

The first pint I got (mint chip flavor) was like this, very dry and powdery even after I let is melt a bit. I swore I wouldn't waste any more money on it, but when my local Wal-Mart started carrying halo top I decided to give it another shot. This time sea salt caramel. Completely different texture! Not quite 'real' ice cream, but far superior to the first pint I had. Not sure if it's a storage thing, a flavour thing, or something else but I've completely changed my opinion of HT now!

Yeah, I think because it must be tricky to make the different flavors so low calorie, they come out in different textures. ALSO the shipping can screw it up. I got a pretty weirdly textured chocolate one last night.

I squeeze the pint before I buy it. If I feel too much air I won't get it. I don't know if it happens in the factory or shipping, but sometimes the ice cream is like...shrunk. Or the pint isn't all the way full.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »

Yeah, I think because it must be tricky to make the different flavors so low calorie, they come out in different textures. ALSO the shipping can screw it up. I got a pretty weirdly textured chocolate one last night.

I squeeze the pint before I buy it. If I feel too much air I won't get it. I don't know if it happens in the factory or shipping, but sometimes the ice cream is like...shrunk. Or the pint isn't all the way full.

It's quite disheartening to pay so much for a treat only to have it randomly turn out awful. I'm going to start squeezing more than just avocados I guess :wink:
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Halo top makes me feel like a queen
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    I expected to hate it, but Stop & Shop gave me a coupon for a free pint of Enlightened. I got the mint chocolate chip and it wasn't bad. I like their caramel too. Then they stopped carrying it >.<

I was at another store that had Halo Top on sale so picked up their caramel and chocolate. Didn't like the chocolate. I later tried Cookies & Cream and Black Cherry. So far caramel is my fave, and chocolate least fave.

Not happy about the price, though. $4.99 seems to be the regular price around here, and that is just too much for fake ice cream, as far as I'm concerned.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Pretty much all the Whole Foods locations here in Chicago carry it, along with all the hipster specialty grocers. I must admit when I saw the calorie count on it I thought to myself; "ok, so this is going to taste about like frozen sawdust" but I was pleasantly surprised that it tastes sorta like normal ice cream.

Of those I have tried, mint chip is my hands down favorite as far as maximum flavor with minimal calories at 240. Think about that for second....A Quest bar that I often use as a meal replacement has 200 calories, and I can polish off a whole pint of ice cream for a mere 240? That sounds like a winner in my book.

I am not really a guy that has a massive sweet tooth, but when I have the urge I am glad this stuff is around.
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    I was like what the heck is Halo Top, a Google search later all I can say is THANK YOU.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    So HT must have made a big push into the national market, because now they carry a bunch of flavors in Walmart and Targets around here. I guess that's why all these threads are popping up!

A word of caution - if you don't have much experience with sugar alcohols, don't eat the first pint all at once , eat a serving and make sure it agrees with you. Some people (like me) have some ummm digestive difficulty with them. I can eat a third, maybe a half, a pint of HT and I'm fine. Anymore than that and I'm in the fetal position about an hour later. :(

I personally don't like the plainer flavors. The peanut butter cup is pretty darn good. I just don't have the budget to buy more than a pint or two per month. In between i get Edys Slow churned.
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    I eat Atkins bars, usually buy a bunch when on sale, so all too aware of sugar alcohols :s
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I enjoy it very much, but I think of it as soft serve rather than ice cream. It will satisfy me most of the time, but if I am dying for Ben n Jerry's, it's not a replacement. :)

Down 140lbs: My story.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Noel_57 -- too funny lol
    I had it for the first time this weekend. Vanilla bean - tasty, cookies and cream not so much. Had the red velvet made into a milk shake - pretty good.