More weightlifting than cardio

Options
Anyone else doing more weightlifting than cardio to burn fat? I'm newly obsessed with weightlifting and I'm at the gym as much as possible. I've made a huge diet change as well and since a week from today I'm down 7.5 lbs. (I moved in with my boyfriend and he's a gym rat and weightlifting)
Looking for others doing the same and to keep up with progress

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I do almost no cardio
  • kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started off doing mostly cardio but now I have alternative days where I do more weights or cardio depending on my mood but do weights almost every gym trip
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I definitely do more lifting than cardio. But I'm pretty active anyway with a 6 month old who's enjoying crawling lol.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Are you following a structured plan? If not, I would look into that. :)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I do almost no cardio

Same.
  • mollyingrid92
    mollyingrid92 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Are you following a structured plan? If not, I would look into that. :)

Not 100% what you mean by structured. But, I do have a schedule of what I do on what days.

• mollyingrid92
    Options
    I definitely do more lifting than cardio. But I'm pretty active anyway with a 6 month old who's enjoying crawling lol.

I totally get that. I have a 1.5 year old and he's running...EVERYWHERE! lol it definitely counts as cardio for sure
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I think 3 to 5 sessions of cardio and 1 to 2 sessions of muscular training per week is a good balance for total fitness.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Ya I did cardio today for the first time in... a long time. I definitely lift way more than I do cardio. For me I lift weights to preserve the muscle I have, and cardio kind of helps the deficit (and heart health, etc etc)
  • LifTheVeil
    LifTheVeil Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hardly do cardio at all. I run maybe, a mile or a mile and a half per week, IF that. I focus mostly on compound lifts. Lifting in general burns as much fat as cardio does in my anecdotal experience.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Anyone else doing more weightlifting than cardio to burn fat? I'm newly obsessed with weightlifting and I'm at the gym as much as possible. I've made a huge diet change as well and since a week from today I'm down 7.5 lbs. (I moved in with my boyfriend and he's a gym rat and weightlifting)
    Looking for others doing the same and to keep up with progress

Weight lifting should be done with the purpose to gain or maintain muscle mass. Cardio for fitness and calorie burn. Hence when I lift, I don't try a circuit, I rest well in between sets, the point that I'm only trying to to maximize​ my reps at the defined weight. As to days lifting, I lift 3 and cardio 4 and if I need a rest day, it comes from the cardio.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I lift. But I'm on foreverbulkmode too.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    They both burn fat but cardio burns more calories per hour. However, to lose weight the important thing is your calorie deficit.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I usually walk for 20 minutes after lifting. I've found that I'd rather eat less food if I want to be less fat...than increase cardio.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I only do cardio 3 times a week, I prefer it that way.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Do the appropriate amount of each to reach your fitness goals rather than just for calorie burns. Use food intake to control your weight while fueling your exercise regime.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week and do no formal cardio. Sometimes I switch it up and run on the treadmill but no more than 40 minutes a week lol.
  • mollyingrid92
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    I lift. But I'm on foreverbulkmode too.

See I'm wanting gains plus shed fat. I lift 5 days and I incorporate some cardio in there 2 maybe 3 days. I love the feeling of full beast mode when lifting.