quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    02i5gwbbl907.jpg
  • mollyingrid92
    mollyingrid92 Posts: 41 Member
    02i5gwbbl907.jpg

Love it!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I literally do no cardio. I'm in the gym lifting for about 10 hours per week. I know I look chunky in my profile pic but I had a bit of a gain last year and haven't cut.
  • mollyingrid92
    mollyingrid92 Posts: 41 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I literally do no cardio. I'm in the gym lifting for about 10 hours per week. I know I look chunky in my profile pic but I had a bit of a gain last year and haven't cut.

You don't look chunky at all. You look great in you're profile pic. What does you're weekly gym routine look like? Right now I'm at about an hour 4-5 days a week. And maybe 10 minutes of 2-3 of those days is the elliptical at the end of my workout.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited May 2017
    So, yeah, running five miles probably burns more calories than almost any gym session you could do.
    But, running doesn't necessarily make you look better. Weight lifting, done with the proper rigor, can, and does!
    Plus, running -- which I am assuming would be your form of cardio -- kinda beats you up. There is a lot of pounding. I cannot remember the exact percentage of runners who say they get injured enough to have to take a break every year, but it is a lot. Over 50 percent, I believe.
    So, in my opinion, and experience, weight lifting can be a little gentler. Especially over the long term, this is a consideration.
    I say this as a guy who LOVES to run.
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Altough more time at the gym is spent lifting, I do 30-35min of cardio as well since I want to build up some general endurance and do it for the health benefits more so than the weight loss.

Also if my arms are still spaghettis anyways might as well get my knees weak too :wink:
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    i'm like 4-1 in a time ratio between lifting and cardio. Lifting is better overall...but combined is ideal.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member

You don't look chunky at all. You look great in you're profile pic. What does you're weekly gym routine look like? Right now I'm at about an hour 4-5 days a week. And maybe 10 minutes of 2-3 of those days is the elliptical at the end of my workout.

I lift 4x per week running a DUP style training. Squat 3x, Deadlift 2x, Bench 3-4 all in different rep ranges for power, strength, and hypertrophy. I barbell hipthrust heavy 2x per week, and run upper and lower body accessories within the week, and a lot on their own 4th day.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member

I was going to tag you when I saw this post, since you are kinda the anti cardio bunny. As for the chunky, I think you have a broken mirror or something.

As for the OP, I mix it up more, but do what you like and what works for you. In the end, you won't stick with anything you don't enjoy, and if you don't enjoy cardio but do enjoy the weights, you've saved yourself some grief finding that out early.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    I lift 4x a week (Bigger Leaner Stronger) and either cycle, play golf (walking) or HIIT 2-3 days a week.

In terms of structured programs, it would be: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

They are predesigned programs that are focused on compound lifts (multiple muscle groups) in a progressive manner (increases in total volume = more weight, reps and/or sets). Most are focused around the core lifts (bench, OHP, deadlift and squat), which are the most ideal moves as they engage the most amount of muscle fibers with the least amount of effort. Some programs may or may not include accessories to address areas not addressed by the compound movements.
  • charlieaulert
    charlieaulert Posts: 127 Member
    Mix it up, do a bit of both. It

Cardio is good for WEIGHT loss (Some fat loss & muscle loss).

Weight training is good for muscle retention & fat loss (With the correct diet in place).

7.5LBS in a week is good for weight loss (some fat and some muscle lost), but not for health and in the long run not so good.

PS: Do what you prefer doing. If it helps, I open find doing 30 mins cardio AFTER weight training easier than the other weigh around. Weight training consists of more effort and strength.