Is your significant other your gym buddy?

Options
13»

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No...about 4.5 years ago when my wife and I were starting out we were gym buddies...lasted about three weeks maybe tops.

We primarily use free weights so it was time consuming to constantly be removing and putting on plates. Also, we both had different goals in regards to what we wanted to achieve in the weight room...I was doing Starting Strength and she was drawn to New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves.

We both have trainers now and workout on different days so as to cover domestic responsibilities at home. We also just have different fitness interests...she's a running enthusiast and I prefer my bike. She will occasionally join me for a date bike ride...I will never run though...loath it.

ETA: gym time for both of us has kind of become "me" time and an escape from kids, life, etc...lifting and riding are about the only "me" time I get.

Y'all sound a lot like us. Especially the bolded. Although my husband DOES run, he just hates running with me.
  • wolfsbayne0225
    wolfsbayne0225 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband walks with me (that's my cardio of choice at the moment), but he doesn't lift with me. He did once and couldn't walk right for a week lol. He's strong as all get out, though.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Nope. We used to try, but our workout styles were really different and I just didn't feel comfortable working out in front of him. He started lifting at 14 so I was totally afraid he'd judge. We do better doing our own thing on our own time.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    my bf trains but we're cheap and we share a black card at Fit4Less so he goes and then I use his card to get in (yes, that's allowed) We rarely train together but we both train. I prefer training alone tbh.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Nope. We used to try, but our workout styles were really different and I just didn't feel comfortable working out in front of him. He started lifting at 14 so I was totally afraid he'd judge. We do better doing our own thing on our own time.

One of my wife's issues with me and lifting wasn't so much "judging", but I'd correct little things form wise and it annoyed her and then she'd just be pissed off for the rest of the workout. I've been in and out of the weight room since about age 14/15 myself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No...about 4.5 years ago when my wife and I were starting out we were gym buddies...lasted about three weeks maybe tops.

We primarily use free weights so it was time consuming to constantly be removing and putting on plates. Also, we both had different goals in regards to what we wanted to achieve in the weight room...I was doing Starting Strength and she was drawn to New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves.

We both have trainers now and workout on different days so as to cover domestic responsibilities at home. We also just have different fitness interests...she's a running enthusiast and I prefer my bike. She will occasionally join me for a date bike ride...I will never run though...loath it.

ETA: gym time for both of us has kind of become "me" time and an escape from kids, life, etc...lifting and riding are about the only "me" time I get.

Y'all sound a lot like us. Especially the bolded. Although my husband DOES run, he just hates running with me.

Even if I liked running, I wouldn't run with my wife...she'd smoke my *kitten*. One of our first dates (like 17 years ago) was a morning jog...I was in pretty good shape and my wife wanted to take up running again and hadn't run for awhile...she smoked my *kitten* with zero training. She's a very gifted and natural endurance athlete.

To be fair, I was mostly a track and field sprinter and jumper for much of my life...distance was never my thing...
  • cfritchley26
    cfritchley26 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yep! It varies with us...I have a few classes that I enjoy going to, so he will usually do cardio when I'm in my classes, other than that we like to plan our workouts together. We have started working on HIIT at home together...we have an old tractor tire we are using for a few circuit workouts!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Nope, she has no interest in it but my son does lift with me.
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    he's just my gym.

Oh damn!