Ketogenic diets: Yay or Nay?

Options
I have seen a few a people lose weight on ketogenic diets such as atkins...has anyone had success with this, and if you did, any tips?

Replies

• ScottishRob1
    ScottishRob1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Nay. Not for me! I was miserable for the six months I was low carb. I put the weight back when I stopped. I then discovered that just calorie counting accurately was all I needed to do. Happy dance!

Ditto, mine probably leans more towards Keto, but not on purpose. I like to eat a lot of proteins and I try and avoid carbs in baked goods and treats. I don't pay much attention to fats unless they are going to kill my daily calories.
  • warmxintentions
    warmxintentions Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Yay for me.

I have been on and off keto for over 5 years. I'll stick with it for a while, then start missing carbs and return to old fashioned CICO.

I restarted keto today actually, because I was sick of feeling hungry all the time eating carbs. In the past, I've been most successful in weight loss while following strict keto. I achieved my lowest weight ever while doing keto. So I've decided to pursue it again and stick with it this time.

Benefits of keto (that I've personally experienced)
    - Waaaay less hunger and very gradual hunger feelings.
    - No bloating/gas.
    - More stable energy levels.
    - Better breath!

Cons of keto
    - Missing carbs. Delicious carbs.
    - Constipation (can be easily fixed up with some Magnesium supplements)
    - Challenges eating out with friends - finding restaurants that have meals that fit into your diet.
    - More expensive grocery bills.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Super helpful! I think I'm going to give it a 30 day trial and see how i feel!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Yay for me.

I have been on and off keto for over 5 years. I'll stick with it for a while, then start missing carbs and return to old fashioned CICO.

I restarted keto today actually, because I was sick of feeling hungry all the time eating carbs. In the past, I've been most successful in weight loss while following strict keto. I achieved my lowest weight ever while doing keto. So I've decided to pursue it again and stick with it this time.

- No bloating/gas.
    - Better breath!

Cons of keto
    - Challenges eating out with friends - finding restaurants that have meals that fit into your diet.

You should! 30 days should be plenty to decide if you like it or not.

The first week can be rough - "keto flu" is common, as your weight weight is flushed out and your electrolytes can become imbalanced. Supplementing with extra sodium, potassium and magnesium helps A LOT. I supplement with "Nu-Salt" (a sodium-free salt substitute - full of potassium) and Magnesium Citrate tablets. You can mix potassium salt and table salt into your drink (Mio is tasty) or some bone broth to replenish your electrolytes.

Expect to lose around 3-5lbs in the first few days - that's water weight! It will slow down quickly.

Calorie counting is still important. The nice thing about keto is that fat is FILLING, so it's easy to naturally stick to your deficit. But counting is still the goal, it is possible to overeat on keto.

• warmxintentions
    Options
    Im nervous to try it out...i will miss my carbs, but not my fat haha its a trade off im willing to make.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Im nervous to try it out...i will miss my carbs, but not my fat haha its a trade off im willing to make.

It's really not too hard. There are many substitutes you can make. It's easy to make keto cheesecake, cake, bread, buns, bagels, pizza... You can do a lot with almond flour, coconut flour and sugar substitutes like erythritol and stevia. They won't taste exactly the same but they're not bad.

The main things I miss are sushi, REAL pizza, pasta, poutine/fries. I'll sneak in a cheat meal once or twice a month to deal with those cravings.

My favourite keto meals are: bacon & eggs, quiche, chicken wings, steak, cheesy cauliflower/broccoli, bunless hamburgers, berries & whipped cream, cheesecake, sausage & peppers, jalapeno poppers.

Here are some good recipe sites:
    ibreatheimhungry.com
    https://www.ruled.me/
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I've been eating keto on and off as well since 2015 and for me it's the easiest way of eating to lose weight. I'm actually starting it back up today because I've been feeling crappy eating way too many carbs recently. I've also done IIFYM but do find myself hungry more often. I often hit up the two sites listed earlier. There are great recipes there for when you're craving something but need a low carb alternative.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I can't do it myself but more power to you if you can!
  • warmxintentions
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I've been keto for most of two years. It's all plus for me. Maybe inconvenience, but that really is nothing compared to avoiding gluten as a celiac. I do miss sweets a bit but the less I eat them the less I want them. Eating sweets, and to a lesser extent any carb, tends to drive the cravings. I'm okay once I've been away from them for a few days.

Pluses:
    Better BG
    no reactive hypoglycemia
    better skin and nails
    better energy and sleep
    less joint pain
    improved cognitive skills
    fewer stomach issue or BM issue
    fewer headaches
    less gas
    less hunger
    less cravings
    lose slightly faster than expected
    I don't find my grocery bill is more because the volume of food I eat is less. Plus I rarely by prepackaged and processed/ultraprocessed foods (beyond meat being wrapped and eggs in a carton).
    Yay for me.

- No bloating/gas.
    - Better breath!

Cons of keto

Make sure you increase your sodium to at least 3000-5000mg per day. There's 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt-many find they need close to a tablespoon of salt per day.

If your electrolytes (sodium, magnesium and potassium) get low you'll experience, fatigue, headaches, stomach or BM issues, brain fog, muscle aches and cramps. Drink broth, salt most food, add salt to water or use salt tablets and it will turn things around within a couple of hours.

Thank you! Btw ur biceps alone give me motivation! Haha
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since November 2016, and I'm loving it so far. "Just" counting calories wasn't easy for me to sustain because I was always hungry and obsessed about food. Now, I feel more carefree about food, I don't need to count calories to lose/maintain, and I have more energy.
  • warmxintentions
    Options
    I've been doing it since November 2016, and I'm loving it so far. "Just" counting calories wasn't easy for me to sustain because I was always hungry and obsessed about food. Now, I feel more carefree about food, I don't need to count calories to lose/maintain, and I have more energy.

Thats what I'm counting on. I dont want to obsess over everything, but i do know that macro counting with this is important at first. Ive tried everything but this.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    First, Atkins is not a ketogenic diet. Just sayin'...

Do some research before jumping in. Take a look at Whole30.com. It's technically not keto, but it's close.

And google "Ketogenic diet". There is a ton of info on it.

Do your own research and take advice from MFP forums carefully and selectively.

Good luck.
  • warmxintentions
    Options
    I googled keto and atkins was the first thing that popped up, but i continued searching and now have a better idea
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I like ketogenic diets and have been in ketosis for a few weeks at a time when dieting on low calories and no carbohydrates.

Personally I don't think a no carb, high fat diet is compatible with real world day to day life. A sustained calorie deficit will suffice.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    all that fat is not good for you.... I have been on low carb/ketogenic diets for many years because its an easy diet and you can eat some fatty yummy foods..... but i ended up with medical problems from it.... type 2 got worse.... I have been on plantbased diet for several months now and am healthier than i ever have been... blood sugar normal, blood pressure normal... off 2 different bp meds.... lost about 30 pounds...... sleep better.... your body might be able to handle all that fat.. and a real keto diet is about 80% fat.... feel free to holler at me anytime you want...... think real hard about it....