Walden farms 0 calories??

Replies

• cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    ive tried their chocolate, pancake syrup, amazin mayo which are all good to me but felt their barbecue sauce was a lacking a bit... i'll finish the bottle thou. i have some of their salad dressings just haven't tried them yet.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Hazelnut coffee creamer is lush
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Most I have tried have been utterly disgusting IMO, with the mayo and the bleu cheese dressing being the worst of the lot. That said, I have heard from several people that the syrups and fruit spreads are much better. These I have not tried. I have found that it is easier and much more satisfying to just allocate calories to real products that are low/fat calorie.

That part. The mayo is the worst
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    I am not one to fear the chemicals - but there's no way I am going near these products. 0 calorie peanut butter or ranch dressing just can't be good.

My argument on the whole "not for chemicals" which if you don't want to eat stuff manufactured is fine however everything is comprised of chemicals.

About walden farms tho I personally like the pancake syrup and chocolate syrup. The rest in my experience has been pretty bad. Their coffee creamers aren't too bad either. It's about what you'd expect from a 0 calorie version of both of those, not delicious but it'll do to cut some calories here and there.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    It's "possible" because they're not really 0 calories. The FDA stipulates that a food which has less than 5 calories per serve can round down to 0 on the label. So these companies make the serving size small, and round down. So a "0" cal for a teaspoon sauce could actually be 14.5 calories for a tablespoon, for example.

Same thing with kosher dills. Vlassic says half a pickle (one serve) is 0 calories, because if they had the serving size as a whole pickle, they'd have to put the actual calories on the label.

Well, that seems like a trick! I don't understand how the FDA can allow that...
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I only use the pancake syrup, but I like it a lot and it is very much a pancake syrup.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    it is possible if you live in America and a serving is less than 5 calories.

In other countries it is not possible - there are no zero foods or drinks except water and items are labelled accordingly

My can of pepsi max for example tells me it has 1.6kj - around 0.3 calorie - per 100ml.

In America it would have zero.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    it is possible if you live in America and a serving is less than 5 calories.

In other countries it is not possible - there are no zero foods or drinks except water and items are labelled accordingly

My can of pepsi max for example tells me it has 1.6kj - around 0.3 calorie - per 100ml.

In America it would have zero.

I wish our labels were that accurate!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    The marshmallow fluff is despicable. The chocolate dip works in a desperate situation.

FYI - the Smuckers pancake syrup made with Splenda is outstanding.
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    It's "possible" because they're not really 0 calories. The FDA stipulates that a food which has less than 5 calories per serve can round down to 0 on the label. So these companies make the serving size small, and round down. So a "0" cal for a teaspoon sauce could actually be 14.5 calories for a tablespoon, for example.

Same thing with kosher dills. Vlassic says half a pickle (one serve) is 0 calories, because if they had the serving size as a whole pickle, they'd have to put the actual calories on the label.

They actually don't. Serving sizes are set by the FDA, not by the company. Here is an article that describes the process and the ongoing updates.

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm386203.htm
  • KeithWhiteJr

They actually don't. Serving sizes are set by the FDA, not by the company. Here is an article that describes the process and the ongoing updates.

I think you misunderstood. I was saying that I cant believe the FDA allows for rounding down of calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Two years ago I mistakenly bought a 2nd bottle of zero calorie pancake syrup before actually opening the first bottle. The taste is ok, but the texture is just watery. I have sworn off using it plain on bread, so maybe I'll try mixing it with peanut butter or maybe even PBfit to see if I can get past the watery texture. I don't mind experimenting with some undigestible sugar alcohols, not even old ones. What can go wronger than what is already oh so wrong?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2018

I think you misunderstood. I was saying that I cant believe the FDA allows for rounding down of calories.

You should believe it. For instance you know that oil is 9 calories per gram. A spray oil claims zero calories for 1/2 second of spray. That oil is still oil, and it still has calories. The only way that they could lawfully claim a zero calorie serve is if they were within the law to do so, and that is only by rounding down.

Besides, it would be just mean of the government make all the food companies round up to the nearest 10. That they don't choose to round to the nearest 5 indicates that they understand the variability of foods. 100 grams of a fruit isn't always the same calories depending upon season, soil, and latitude.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    The peanut butter is the worst thing I've ever tasted in my entire life. I tried it once and it completely killed my appetite for the rest of the day. I guess that's one way to save calories.
  • alspran
    alspran Posts: 14 Member
    I love the french dressing. No it's not exactly the same, but I can use it liberally on my salads which is important to me
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    hesfeld wrote: »
    The pancake syrup is the only one that reminds me of the real thing. The coffee creamer is just wrong. I do use the ranch dressings on occasion.

By "real thing" do you mean actual maple syrup that came from a tree or a brand like Aunt Jemima, Log Cabin, Mrs. Butterworth, etc, that does not contain actual maple syrup?