Walden farms 0 calories??

Options

Replies

• KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's "possible" because they're not really 0 calories. The FDA stipulates that a food which has less than 5 calories per serve can round down to 0 on the label. So these companies make the serving size small, and round down. So a "0" cal for a teaspoon sauce could actually be 14.5 calories for a tablespoon, for example.

Same thing with kosher dills. Vlassic says half a pickle (one serve) is 0 calories, because if they had the serving size as a whole pickle, they'd have to put the actual calories on the label.

Well, that seems like a trick! I don't understand how the FDA can allow that...

They actually don't. Serving sizes are set by the FDA, not by the company. Here is an article that describes the process and the ongoing updates.

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm386203.htm

I think you misunderstood. I was saying that I cant believe the FDA allows for rounding down of calories.

You should believe it. For instance you know that oil is 9 calories per gram. A spray oil claims zero calories for 1/2 second of spray. That oil is still oil, and it still has calories. The only way that they could lawfully claim a zero calorie serve is if they were within the law to do so, and that is only by rounding down.

Besides, it would be just mean of the government make all the food companies round up to the nearest 10. That they don't choose to round to the nearest 5 indicates that they understand the variability of foods. 100 grams of a fruit isn't always the same calories depending upon season, soil, and latitude.

But why should they round at all? In the UK, they have to put the actual calories on products. Even Walden Farms is called "Near Zero" in the UK because it isn't actually calorie free. You can even go to the website and see what calories are really in WF products.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    Yes in Australia too, Keith. All products must show kilojoules per 100 ml/ 100 g.

But since US is not likely to suddenly change its laws to suit MFP users, is good for users there to be aware of this less than 5 per serving = 0 thing.
  • Heatherdg2720
    Heatherdg2720 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The syrup is good in oatmeal. I add apples and cinnamon and put some on top and it’s really good. It’s good on protien pancakes too. The coffee creamer is alright but I would rather use coffee mate even with the calories. Every other one Of their products that I’ve tried taste like crap.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I have been using Walden Farms for YEARS, I love the pancake syrup and I have found so many uses for (brace yourselves) the peanut butter. I get PB & Me sugar free powdered peanut butter, unsweetened cashew almond milk and mix them, add a bit of Truvia and it is heaven to me! I sometimes get the chocolate syrup and chocolate dip, mix with chocolate protein powder and make a cake-batter like bowl. I use the maple on a crazy tofu dessert I have had for years and use the marshmallow on a low carb, gluten free sugar free oatmeal bite with sugar free preserves. I used to use the mayo and dressings but like my vegetables with Braggs Amino, Coconut Amino, seasonings or just plain. The caramel is not my favorite, and some of the dressings used to seem good but I only like the Thousand Island and Honey Mustard Mayo which is impossible to find.

I have also been doing this for a VERY long time, did fitness/ figure competitions and have been eating sugar free, no fast food, desserts, etc. for so long my palate is completely different. I even like the taste of my fish oil and greens powder together!! lol
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Their maple syrup is not bad. You can also mix it with other sugar free brands. I eat it plain on my kodiak cakes. It’s their best product

I also like the BBQ sauce.

The Amazing” mayo is all but that. Yuck !
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lots of "flavors" in everything, not the real thing. It's basically a chemical concoction. I know a company that chemically "makes" the "flavoring" in a lot of our favorite things. Fun stuff.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    The "peanut butter" is really awful tasting, but, I put some in a batch of banana bread muffins I was making, and it worked great. It gave the muffins a slight hint of peanut butter flavor.

But don't use it for sandwiches... yuck!
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Because of this thread I bought some of the syrup to try last night. It was surprisingly good. Much better than expected I should say. I'm sure it's not "good for you" and it's probably full of chemicals, but taste wise it's not bad at all.
  • Beckenzahler
    Beckenzahler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Only got the Pancake syrup, caramel syrup and marshmellow dip available, where I live.
    Pancake is ok, the caramel I did not like the first time, will have to try it again. How is the marshmellow dip? Besides being relatively expensive (imported good), it looked borderline poisonous in that jar :)
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I hesitantly bought the mayo today to mix with chicken salad or tuna when I am working in the office. I will still try it out, but this thread basically confirmed what I was assuming lol. I'll keep my mind open though. :tongue:
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    ehju0901 wrote: »
    I hesitantly bought the mayo today to mix with chicken salad or tuna when I am working in the office. I will still try it out, but this thread basically confirmed what I was assuming lol. I'll keep my mind open though. :tongue:

Finally tried it today. The texture and color kind of freaks me out, but it worked just fine with tuna. I think that is the only thing I would use it for.

I will stick to real mayo next time. :tongue:
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Finally tried it today. The texture and color kind of freaks me out, but it worked just fine with tuna. I think that is the only thing I would use it for.

I'm obsessed with their pancake syrup. I like their chocolate syrup too but it does have a little chemicall-y taste. Blueberry syrup is a B+, but you should definitely try their pancake syrup too if you like that kind of thing.
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

I'm obsessed with their pancake syrup. I like their chocolate syrup too but it does have a little chemicall-y taste. Blueberry syrup is a B+, but you should definitely try their pancake syrup too if you like that kind of thing.

I limit my consumption of Walden Farms and similar products that counter my motive to eat as wholesome and natural as possible in modern society, but I DO include Walden Farms' Italian, Balsamic, and Sesame Ginger dressings; chocolate spread/dip; and pancake syrups in my diet.

I hope I am not slowly and ignorantly killing my insides or sabotaging my own health and fitness goals by doing so!!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    mytyglotz wrote: »

I limit my consumption of Walden Farms and similar products that counter my motive to eat as wholesome and natural as possible in modern society, but I DO include Walden Farms' Italian, Balsamic, and Sesame Ginger dressings; chocolate spread/dip; and pancake syrups in my diet.

I hope I am not slowly and ignorantly killing my insides or sabotaging my own health and fitness goals by doing so!!

How on earth would you be doing that???
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,588 Member
    Options
    mytyglotz wrote: »

You are. Slowly. Soooooooooooooo slowly. You might die from it at....108?

:)

I've recently started using the pancake syrup because Walmart has been out of the one I usually use and really like it.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Real maple syrup, the bomb!
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I just bought a bottle to try. It's... not disgusting to me. It certainly doesn't excite me
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    This is just my impression, having never tried any of their products, but they all seem like expensive flavored goo. For those who've tried them, are any of them worth the money?
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    This is just my impression, having never tried any of their products, but they all seem like expensive flavored goo. For those who've tried them, are any of them worth the money?

I like them okay. I wouldn't eat them alone or make them a major player in my diet but for really bland things they're a nice way to shave some calories off.

that said I've been doing sugar free most things for the better part of a year so my taste buds are pretty adapted to 'chemical goo' as opposed to 'real maple syrup' or whatever.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I think the Waldon Farms 'peanut butter' is 0 calories because once it is opened and sampled, one throws it away because it's the grossest thing they have ever put in their mouth..