Trainer says not to use weights until losing weight?

Options
Every now & then my sister will come to the gym with me. She isn't really over weight, but she is on the thicker side & would probably like to lose 10-15 pounds. Anyway she did the elliptical & then came to do abs with me & she was using one of the weighted ab machines. Anyway, one of the trainers came over & told her she shouldn't be using any weights until she loses weight because it will make her look boxy. I told him all the research I have ever done has told me that you should be doing & weights & cardio together even when trying to lose weight. He says I'm wrong, I think he is a jerk. But that's besides the point. I feel you should be toning your body while losing weight. What are your opinions?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Every now & then my sister will come to the gym with me. She isn't really over weight, but she is on the thicker side & would probably like to lose 10-15 pounds. Anyway she did the elliptical & then came to do abs with me & she was using one of the weighted ab machines. Anyway, one of the trainers came over & told her she shouldn't be using any weights until she loses weight because it will make her look boxy. I told him all the research I have ever done has told me that you should be doing & weights & cardio together even when trying to lose weight. He says I'm wrong, I think he is a jerk. But that's besides the point. I feel you should be toning your body while losing weight. What are your opinions?

I'd find another gym that didn't have such idiotic trainers
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    He's an idiot, plain and simple.

You should definitely be using weights while losing weight. It will help you maintain more of your muscle, meaning you look more toned when you reach your goal. What would you (or your sister in this case) rather, lose 10lbs fat, or 10lbs fat and muscle?? I know which one I'd rather have!

ETA: I've always used weights while losing weight. Biggest weight loss was 21lbs, never felt that I've looked "boxy" because of it.
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

I'd find another gym that didn't have such idiotic trainers

Very true. Luckily I don't let what he says influence me, he is always coming over & giving unwanted advice & I let it go in through one ear & out the other.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    He's full of it. The best way to lose weight is to incorporate strength training to increase lean muscle, lower body fat percentage, and overall improve your body composition. My only regret in my weight loss was not to do strength more in the very beginning and not just cardio all the time.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    He's an idiot, plain and simple.

You should definitely be using weights while losing weight. It will help you maintain more of your muscle, meaning you look more toned when you reach your goal. What would you (or your sister in this case) rather, lose 10lbs fat, or 10lbs fat and muscle?? I know which one I'd rather have!

ETA: I've always used weights while losing weight. Biggest weight loss was 21lbs, never felt that I've looked "boxy" because of it.

I totally agree, I always cringe when I see him walking my way. He's just annoying. Good for you losing 21 pounds the right way!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    He's full of it. The best way to lose weight is to incorporate strength training to increase lean muscle, lower body fat percentage, and overall improve your body composition. My only regret in my weight loss was not to do strength more in the very beginning and not just cardio all the time.

Me too! Before I knew better I was a total cardio bunny & I while I did lose the weight I wanted. I ended up with basically a skinny, but mushy body. Now I'm working to fix all that by lifting heavy & doing less cardio. I won't let me sister make the same mistakes when I know there are better ways to go about weight loss than just running on a treadmill for hours.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Ignore him.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Ignore him.

Definitely!
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Ask this fool does he even lift?!?!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

This!!!

I always say, just because a person is certified it doesn't mean they are qualified.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Does the gym actually pay this person? Members need to let management know how bad he is.
  • 311melissa
    311melissa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Strength training is very important in weight loss. Muscle burns more calories. That trainer is a jerk and he should have never been certified. Lifting weights makes you toned, not boxy!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    All the trainers at my gym are overweight and eat fast food in the break room together around the time I am there every day. They may have been certified, but that doesn't mean anything if they're not qualified!
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Well since I've never been able to lose that last 5-10 pounds (just not motivated enough!) I guess I can never lift weights. I'll have to put my equipment on Craig's List....
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    He sounds like an idiot. Where do these gyms find these people!?
  • nyla2120
    Options

ROTFLMAO! Good idea!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    He sounds like an idiot. Where do these gyms find these people!?

I don't even know what the qualifications are to be able to train people.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options

This!!!

I always say, just because a person is certified it doesn't mean they are qualified.

^^ He may not even be certified. My sister, who's a trainer with multiple certifications and continuing education, says that a lot of these "trainers" just take a class for a few weeks and that's it. Ridiculous considering they have the potential to help or hurt a lot of people.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Well since I've never been able to lose that last 5-10 pounds (just not motivated enough!) I guess I can never lift weights. I'll have to put my equipment on Craig's List....

ROTFLMAO! I'll buy it for my sister!