Trainer says not to use weights until losing weight?

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    What are your opinions?

I would stay off the weighted ab machine, and do a more traditional full body workout instead.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Pat his *kitten*, tell him thanks, and to scurry along. I find they LOVE it when you do that.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If your sister isn't paying this guy to be her trainer, she should tell him to *kitten* off.

Although, going up and giving random advice is probably how they solicit personal training sessions.

Or maybe that's Captain Smooth's way of flirting?
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Ask this fool does he even lift?!?!

This!!!

I always say, just because a person is certified it doesn't mean they are qualified.

That's crazy! Luckily I never go to them for advice, I just do my own research & my own thing. They actually offer a few free sessions with a trainer when I signed up at my gym, I didn't bother with it.

^^ He may not even be certified. My sister, who's a trainer with multiple certifications and continuing education, says that a lot of these "trainers" just take a class for a few weeks and that's it. Ridiculous considering they have the potential to help or hurt a lot of people.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Every now & then my sister will come to the gym with me. She isn't really over weight, but she is on the thicker side & would probably like to lose 10-15 pounds. Anyway she did the elliptical & then came to do abs with me & she was using one of the weighted ab machines. Anyway, one of the trainers came over & told her she shouldn't be using any weights until she loses weight because it will make her look boxy. I told him all the research I have ever done has told me that you should be doing & weights & cardio together even when trying to lose weight. He says I'm wrong, I think he is a jerk. But that's besides the point. I feel you should be toning your body while losing weight. What are your opinions?
    Trainer should have his certification revoked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nyla2120
    Options
    If your sister isn't paying this guy to be her trainer, she should tell him to **** off.

Although, going up and giving random advice is probably how they solicit personal training sessions.

This is true!
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToy3t8NJbVvZJOJ1OXJMKDK9BTlglNRlSLFaT2_eEiHlxpmrdmTQ
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    Stupid trainer! Find a new one.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Stupid trainer! Find a new one.

Oh he's not our trainer. He just likes to go around & share his "knowledge" with people who never asked.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToy3t8NJbVvZJOJ1OXJMKDK9BTlglNRlSLFaT2_eEiHlxpmrdmTQ

LOL! :laugh:
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Every now & then my sister will come to the gym with me. She isn't really over weight, but she is on the thicker side & would probably like to lose 10-15 pounds. Anyway she did the elliptical & then came to do abs with me & she was using one of the weighted ab machines. Anyway, one of the trainers came over & told her she shouldn't be using any weights until she loses weight because it will make her look boxy. I told him all the research I have ever done has told me that you should be doing & weights & cardio together even when trying to lose weight. He says I'm wrong, I think he is a jerk. But that's besides the point. I feel you should be toning your body while losing weight. What are your opinions?
    Trainer should have his certification revoked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Very impressive! :happy:
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you do weighted exercises your gaining muscle so if you build muscle under fat u may look "blocky". Honestly though it was probably over stated.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    What? wow.. My shape wouldn't change so dramatically if not for my strength training. I'm still about 40 lbs away from my lowest weight, but wearing the same size now that I did then..

Tell him to step away or you'll throw a weight at him :-)
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    sounds like this trainer thinks your threatening his job since youre helping your sister get fit without his "expertise".
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Does the gym actually pay this person? Members need to let management know how bad he is.

I don't know if he gets paid by the hour or per session. If it's per session I feel bad for him because he obviously doesn't have many clients to keep him busy & that's why he has time to go around preaching.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    What? wow.. My shape wouldn't change so dramatically if not for my strength training. I'm still about 40 lbs away from my lowest weight, but wearing the same size now that I did then..

Tell him to step away or you'll throw a weight at him :-)

You are awesome! :laugh:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My response would have been, "...So you're saying I look 'boxy'..."
  • nyla2120
    Options
    sounds like this trainer thinks your threatening his job since youre helping your sister get fit without his "expertise".

Or maybe he thought by hurting my sister's feelings she would want to hire him to train her.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Earn you license to talk to girls... errr... train people at the gym today!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDiMPadjgScHeCCSoDuFOZl3JFVwesjr3NNrqq0jDxoUtWbAElrg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbnzrvCTPULKWPl_23CUnIP4U95omRFJCaJXYDCE6rBd0dgz-YwQ
  • nyla2120
    Options
    My response would have been, "...So you're saying I look 'boxy'..."

Exactly!