Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Back aches every time I walk a certain amount of steps distance

elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
I had asked about the back issues before and some people had great ideas but unfortunately I can't find the thread and fright now I am extremely limited with exercise. I had to stop jogging everyday which was a bummer. Looking for some really easy on your back exercises that will not pull on abdominal muscles.

*before anyone says it, yes I have already spoken to my doctor about it. He gave me a few work sheets to try the activities in them, but getting a bit bored with the same thing everyday.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,102 Member
    edited May 2017
    I found light stretching and strength training very helpful with recovering from a back injury. HASFIT have some great low impact cardio, stretching and strength training on their Youtube Channel. Link is in my blog on the same subject http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/tinkerbellang83/view/today-was-a-good-day-925185

I will also add that since then I also discovered my feet were over pronating which was causing further stress on my back, orthotic insoles have been a lifesaver. No back pain since I started wearing them and doing the workouts.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    It might be a problem with core muscle strength. I used to get lower back pain a lot from walking because my muscles were just so weak. It's improved a lot since I a) lost weight and b) started working on strengthening my core.

Yoga maybe? As an alternative to what you're already doing. (I've heard good things about 'Yoga with Adriene', found on youtube, but haven't tried it yet).

I do planks as basic strengthening exercise. Doesn't take a lot of time out of your day either.

Also, figure out how far/long you can walk without pain and then do that regularly and then slowly start pushing for more once you feel comfortable doing that. There's no point in doing so much that it causes pain. Maybe Leslie Sansone videos to get you started at home - meaning the possibility of sitting down is never more than a few steps away.

As the others have mentioned. Appropriate shoes or insoles might also help tremendously.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    rsclause wrote: »
    I am sure it has been said but shoes can play a big factor in back pain. You may want to upgrade or change shoe type.

my first thought too. Get a nice pair or running shoes (even if you arent running) they have way more support!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    It could also be partially the surface you are walking on. A hard road or paved path may not be the best. A softer woody hiking trail or sandy beach may be better.
    Also as mentioned above yoga is good. A good instructor can work with you and help you avoid things you shouldn't be doing.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I would also guess a weak core. Adding in some activities that require balance will help with that (if you weight train, go with options where you are standing freely - ie don't squat in the smith machine, overhead press versus sitting military presses, etc.), dancing, probably yoga,...
  • elphie754
    I found light stretching and strength training very helpful with recovering from a back injury. HASFIT have some great low impact cardio, stretching and strength training on their Youtube Channel. Link is in my blog on the same subject http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/tinkerbellang83/view/today-was-a-good-day-925185

I will also add that since then I also discovered my feet were over pronating which was causing further stress on my back, orthotic insoles have been a lifesaver. No back pain since I started wearing them and doing the workouts.

Unfortunately I have to be very very careful with stretches (so that my incision doesn't open and more than it has). Will certainly check out the video and see if any of them would be safe to do.
    rsclause wrote: »
    I am sure it has been said but shoes can play a big factor in back pain. You may want to upgrade or change shoe type.

I may have to. I've noticed though ny back only hurts when I am above a certain weight.

• elphie754
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    It might be a problem with core muscle strength. I used to get lower back pain a lot from walking because my muscles were just so weak. It's improved a lot since I a) lost weight and b) started working on strengthening my core.

Yoga maybe? As an alternative to what you're already doing. (I've heard good things about 'Yoga with Adriene', found on youtube, but haven't tried it yet).

I do planks as basic strengthening exercise. Doesn't take a lot of time out of your day either.

Also, figure out how far/long you can walk without pain and then do that regularly and then slowly start pushing for more once you feel comfortable doing that. There's no point in doing so much that it causes pain. Maybe Leslie Sansone videos to get you started at home - meaning the possibility of sitting down is never more than a few steps away.

As the others have mentioned. Appropriate shoes or insoles might also help tremendously.

I would love to do yoga but I have a feeling it would irritate my incision. I was told no heavy stretching.we also have a park right across the street that has benches so that's where I have been walking.
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    It could also be partially the surface you are walking on. A hard road or paved path may not be the best. A softer woody hiking trail or sandy beach may be better.
    Also as mentioned above yoga is good. A good instructor can work with you and help you avoid things you shouldn't be doing.

The YMHA we are members of does have yoga classes. Maybe I will check it out and see if they can help me.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I had asked about the back issues before and some people had great ideas but unfortunately I can't find the thread and fright now I am extremely limited with exercise. I had to stop jogging everyday which was a bummer. Looking for some really easy on your back exercises that will not pull on abdominal muscles.

*before anyone says it, yes I have already spoken to my doctor about it. He gave me a few work sheets to try the activities in them, but getting a bit bored with the same thing everyday.

Can you elaborate a little on the back pain? Upper, middle, or lower back? One side more than the other or unilateral? What is your body shape (apple, pear, etc)? Yes, I have reasons for asking these weird quetions
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member

I would love to do yoga but I have a feeling it would irritate my incision. I was told no heavy stretching.we also have a park right across the street that has benches so that's where I have been walking.

The YMHA we are members of does have yoga classes. Maybe I will check it out and see if they can help me.

Oh dear! I'm sorry. I totally spaced about your incision. :anguished: In this case, if you want to try something like yoga or stretching in general, you really need to do it under supervision.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    My suggestion is to keep going with the excersizes your doctor provided and maybe adding repetitions, moving more slowly so muscles will have to bear weight for a longer time.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    edited May 2017
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Can you elaborate a little on the back pain? Upper, middle, or lower back? One side more than the other or unilateral? What is your body shape (apple, pear, etc)? Yes, I have reasons for asking these weird quetions

The above...it matters where the pain is. We might be able to help but you might also want to get a second opinion including a sports medicine professional, they are skilled in providing exercise working with/around injury/illness.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    You had a baby. Your core strength is shot. You need to get your core back, and then you'll have less back pain. Make sure to work it in balance; a bit of physio is never a bad thing.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I also love the socks with the extra padding! Be sure and wear them when you get your shoes--I had to go up a half-size. But it felt like I was walking on clouds! The socks have padding on the heels, toes/ball of foot and extra arch support.

Also, whatever foam rolling you can do along with gentle stretching. My yoga studio does pre-natal yoga--not sure if that would be an option for you. Even more gentle than "restorative." Women often use it post-partum.
  • elphie754

Mostly lower back, almost right at my hips. Starts as a dull ache and the becomes a burning sensation that becomes unbareable. It's on both sides. Honestly, I'm not really sure what body type I fit into. Maybe hour galas?
  • elphie754

Oh dear! I'm sorry. I totally spaced about your incision. :anguished: In this case, if you want to try something like yoga or stretching in general, you really need to do it under supervision.

It's okay, we all make mistakes or read things wrong lol.
    brznhabits wrote: »

The above...it matters where the pain is. We might be able to help but you might also want to get a second opinion including a sports medicine professional, they are skilled in providing exercise working with/around injury/illness.

Never thought about that. Will see if insurance would cover that.

• earlnabby
    edited May 2017

Mostly lower back, almost right at my hips. Starts as a dull ache and the becomes a burning sensation that becomes unbareable. It's on both sides. Honestly, I'm not really sure what body type I fit into. Maybe hour galas?

The reason I ask is because one thing many people do not pay attention to while walking is their posture. If you sway your back even a tiny bit (common in people with apple shapes or women who have large busts) you can get lower back pain.

This was my main issue (along with an injury to my left iliac). I had to consciously make sure I was walking with a straight back, which actually felt like I was bending forward a little, in order to keep the shoulders directly above the hip bones.

Stretches, proper cool down, and good shoes are also really helpful.

ETA: I agree with the poster above that a sports medicine professional or a Physical Therapist can assess your gait and your posture and determine if that could be causing the issues as well as look for othr causes.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Yes, saying posture and saying core strength are really the same thing. Focus on a little core work, and if your back hurts... you've walked enough that day. It takes months to put things back where they are and build up the strength you took for granted pre-baby.

Start with some planks. Do them inclined or on your knees if a full plank is too much.
  • earlnabby
    edited May 2017
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Yes, saying posture and saying core strength are really the same thing. Focus on a little core work, and if your back hurts... you've walked enough that day. It takes months to put things back where they are and build up the strength you took for granted pre-baby.

Start with some planks. Do them inclined or on your knees if a full plank is too much.

Except you can have a strong core but poor posture. It is very hard to have good posture with a weak core so they do work together, but are not the same thing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I know certain shoes hurt my back if I walk in them. I have a pair of nike running shoes and I cant run or walk in them. but my reebok or avias I can run,jog or walk all over hades and have no issues with my back.I would start there. something with a lot of cushion(maybe memory foam insoles).