Back aches every time I walk a certain amount of steps distance

2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I know certain shoes hurt my back if I walk in them. I have a pair of nike running shoes and I cant run or walk in them. but my reebok or avias I can run,jog or walk all over hades and have no issues with my back.I would start there. something with a lot of cushion(maybe memory foam insoles).

I am just the opposite. I get back pain if there is more cushion. I do better in shoes with more support.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Do not, please oh please, do anything your doctor hasn't approved before your incision heals. If you make it worse, your insurance will not have to cover it if you are not compliant with treatment. That stinks, but it's true even for government payers.

Call your doctor and ask for a referral to physical therapy. The do exactly what they say. It will be slow, but it will help you get better.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Do not, please oh please, do anything your doctor hasn't approved before your incision heals. If you make it worse, your insurance will not have to cover it if you are not compliant with treatment. That stinks, but it's true even for government payers.

Call your doctor and ask for a referral to physical therapy. The do exactly what they say. It will be slow, but it will help you get better.

You didn't read the whole message did you? There is always one.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Low lower back pain can be caused by pull on the hamstrings and/or gluts. This also probably makes sense given your incision. You are probably compensating by relying on your lower body more so than usual.

Unfortunately the best way to alleviate it is through stretching the hamstrings/gluts and I'm not sure those exercises would work with your incision. A massage/alternative/sports/physical therapist can also work out these muscles (but it's most convenient to do the stretches on your own after guidance).

With your incision in mind, I think I'd still recommend a sports medicine dr. Be specific about where the pain is/occurs so they can provide the most help. Keep in mind that if insurance won't cover it, you can still use an FSA and/or HSA account for any federally approved service (if it isn't covered by insurance it just means it doesn't count against your deductible but is still tax free).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I had asked about the back issues before and some people had great ideas but unfortunately I can't find the thread and fright now I am extremely limited with exercise. I had to stop jogging everyday which was a bummer. Looking for some really easy on your back exercises that will not pull on abdominal muscles.

*before anyone says it, yes I have already spoken to my doctor about it. He gave me a few work sheets to try the activities in them, but getting a bit bored with the same thing everyday.

I found my knee exercises boring, but worked them into my yoga warmups and do that while watching The Good Wife. (I'm early in Season 7 and Negan just showed up (!)

Rodney Yee's AM series is super gentle, but I don't have any experience with yoga and incisions, so listen to your body:

https://www.amazon.com/M-P-M-Yoga-Rodney-Yee/dp/B00007JME6/ref=sr_1_5
  • kshama2001
    Re shoes, I've been loving Asics the last 6 years or so, currently ASICS GT-1000 5 cuz they keep discontinuing styles >.<

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017SCVES4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • kverenat
    kverenat Posts: 31 Member
    Sounds like mine a bit. My lower back was getting super tight when I walked for any length of time. Turns out my hamstrings were so tight from sitting all the time, plus my IT bands were tight and pulling on my quad muscles and knees. Stretching stretching stretching. If need be, ask your doc for some PT for stretch and strengthening.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    kverenat wrote: »
    Sounds like mine a bit. My lower back was getting super tight when I walked for any length of time. Turns out my hamstrings were so tight from sitting all the time, plus my IT bands were tight and pulling on my quad muscles and knees. Stretching stretching stretching. If need be, ask your doc for some PT for stretch and strengthening.

Yeah-every so often it feels like it is spasming.
  • kverenat
    kverenat Posts: 31 Member
    Foam rolling really works. It's almost painful because my hamstrings were so tight. Also certain yoga poses like downward dog will stretch your hamstrings.
  • kshama2001
    kverenat wrote: »
    Foam rolling really works. It's almost painful because my hamstrings were so tight. Also certain yoga poses like downward dog will stretch your hamstrings.

I'm a recent convert to foam rolling, especially for my lower back. No pain on my back or hamstrings, but lots when I do the side of my legs. Walmart has short ones for $14.95.

However, since there's balance involved, it may engage the abdominals too much for the OP at this time. Gave me a stiff neck for the first month.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    what cup size are you and are you wearing a sports bra (no need to actually say!)? The constant up and down banging of your boobs could be hurting your back. I am a C and if I wear a regular bra while jogging my lower back hurts.