RICE?!?!

Options
124»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I've tried and eaten all types of rice and keep 4 types at home: white, brown, wild and aborial. While there are taste/texture variations, their nutritional and caloric content is all about the same.

Eat what you prefer w/in your caloric limits and you'll be fine.

I mainly eat long grain white because it is the cheapest, easy to find and what I grew up eating. I make a pot at a time, store leftovers in the frig and reheat portions til the pot is finished (goes bad, whichever comes 1st).

I vary the portion size based on my cal limit from 1/2 to 1 cup per serving (100-200 cals) and eat none at all if it will put me over my limit.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen packs of brown rice from Trader Joe's for convenience. 3 mins in the microwave and it is DONE. I like the texture of the organic better but will buy the plain. I also have used the frozen jasmine with Indian dishes, also good.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I buy a big bag of Kirkland (Costco) brand basmati rice. If I'm in a pinch I'll buy Tilda brand (Walmart)
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    If you really want to slash your rice calories, give riced cauliflower a try. Low carb, low calorie and full of vitamins and minerals. I personally don't eat rice, it's very easy to overeat (and consume way too many calories) and it doesn't keep me full at all. I'd rather spend my calories on something full of nutrients.

This is my literal reaction to riced cauliflower and all cauliflower substitutes, lol

y3PWaHz.gif

And honestly, I have tried a bunch of recipes.. never got into it.

When I want rice, I eat real rice, but I do love the "riced" cauliflower blend - the one that includes riced cauliflower, broccoli and carrots, too. I don't eat them as fake rice, though. I use them in spring rolls and potstickers. No more tedious chopping. Super convenient. They also work in creamy soups. It's described as "riced" because it has been processed through a ricer, which chops things into fine particles about the size of rice grains. I guess people cued into the name and decided to use it as actual rice, though? LOL.

This is actually a genius idea!