That 1 thing you cant give up?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    There is nothing I couldn't give up if there were a need for me to give it up. The things I have avoided for weight loss were things I chose to avoid to make losing easier for me. Alcohol was not one of them. I :heart: my wine.
  • Myth
    Myth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this but I can not stand anything diet. I do NOT like the aftertaste. Ive tried them all in hopes to find a replacement the best I can do is honey. The coffee drink is a pre packaged powder mix that I add to milk. Ive switched to 1% and no fat milk but I just need to stop it period. Soda a habit I stopped about 10 years ago or so. I might get some when we go out but Ill be lucky to drink a quarter of a glass lol. It is probably the sugar I am craving and need to just STOP! lol Just wondering if there where others that had anythign similar and looking for some success stories for motivation. :)
  • SciWhiz
    SciWhiz Posts: 68 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Myth wrote: »
    WOW ok sorry did not mean to start this lol It is an iced coffee (now it sounds so silly wow) My problem is this iced coffee is over 350 calories 53 grams of crabs which is all sugar that is more than a snickers bar!!!! Now Im drinking 2 or 3 times a day which is NOT GOOD! It basically sabotages my day. I just cant figure out why when I got rid of it for so long did I go back to it knowing how bad it is.
    Sorry didnt mean to start something more serious.

Myth

When I do get iced coffee I typically go to Starbucks and order a Venti cold brew (yay caffeine) with 2 pumps mocha, 1 pump classic, splash of milk. Sometimes I make my own iced coffee in a french press so I can control what I add to it. Neither way is going to add up to 350 calories.
  • Myth
    Options
    SciWhiz thats kind of what I am thinking about is subbing it with something else at home. Its just DOING IT that is the problem lol
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The thing I can't give up is chocolate in general. I have tried abstaining because I thought it was causing me to gain weight. What was causing the weight gain was eating 2-3k calories of it a day, in addition to my regular food!

The problem with abstaining (for me) was that by telling myself I couldn't have it, I was tempted at every family gathering or birthday or almost every day at work and I was just miserable. The moment I got my hands on even a tiny piece of it, I'd over eat on it and then start buying it and crazy backsliding would ensue. I had to learn to eat the right amount to satisfy me, but not allow it to lead to binging.

I learned to incorporate it by only buying prepackaged pieces (single squares of dark mostly) and never to tell myself no. What I do now is just make it fit in my calories, and I have to log each piece separately before I eat it. That way I'm mindful of what I have, and can usually stop myself before I go too overboard.

Unfortunately, there is one thing I found I have to keep banned. Bags of chocolates covered almonds & cashews. Just tried to re-incorporate those last week, and finished an entire bag (like 2k cals worth) in less than 24hrs although I portioned them into 200cal bags. I had to throw out the other bag I bought just to prevent myself from going at it. What's funny is that I didn't even enjoy them as much. I like the Ghirardelli squares much better, especially the ones with almond slivers. I'm satisfied after 1 or 2.

• SciWhiz
    Options
    SciWhiz thats kind of what I am thinking about is subbing it with something else at home. Its just DOING IT that is the problem lol

Try making a big batch of cold brew coffee at home. I use like a cup or 2 of grounds in a huge pot, fill with water, let sit in fridge overnight, strain the next day into a pitcher and you'll have coffee for a while! Or you can cheat and buy cold brew coffee by the gallon at most grocery stores.
  • Ferdinand71
    Ferdinand71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cheese. Me trying to eat cheese in moderation is like trying to limit how much air I breathe. A nice healthy salad with all sorts of veggies and minimal dressing? Great! OH IS THAT CHEESE?! Snack tray at a party or a meeting? OH IS THAT CHEESE?!

I've switched to pre-packaged servings of cheese so I can't "accidentally" have too much, or have "just a taste" when I'm packing my lunch. It costs a lot more, but I have no restraint.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    For me it's gotta be Rick Astley "Never Gonna Give You Up" :DB)

Seriously though. I'm an evening snacker. For me that's my weakness.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jwilk241 wrote: »
    WOW ok sorry did not mean to start this lol It is an iced coffee (now it sounds so silly wow) My problem is this iced coffee is over 350 calories 53 grams of crabs which is all sugar that is more than a snickers bar!!!! Now Im drinking 2 or 3 times a day which is NOT GOOD! It basically sabotages my day. I just cant figure out why when I got rid of it for so long did I go back to it knowing how bad it is.

Myth

Yeah those super sugary calorie laden Starbucks (and similar places) are really bad. If you must drink those types of drinks I'd recommend looking into sugar free syrups and milk alternatives. For example, my favorite drink at Starbucks is an Iced Coconut milk Mocha Macchiato (what a mouthful LOL). However, I swap out the white mocha sauce with sugar free mocha sauce which eliminates about 60 calories. I also started getting a small but adding an extra shot so it's the same amount of espresso as a medium and just the size difference saves me about another 70 calories. Simple things like that can greatly reduce the amount of calories and sugar while allowing you to still have your treat coffee.

fixed it for you
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Myth

Does the place you get it offer sugar-free syrup? You would still have calories from the milk, but you can reduce the calories by switching syrups.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Myth

just have one a day and that will save you 700 calories a day ...
  • Myth
    Options
    I read the words binge eating and for the second time in this discussion I had an "aha moment" I think well crap that is what I am doing. I am binging on this stupid coffee. And thinking this is not alcohol I am not going to detox if I stop drinking this crap!

SciWhiz what is the difference in "COLD BREWED" verse coffee you brew and through in fridge?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

Myth

My "iced coffee" is now 8oz of low fat chocolate milk, 8oz coffee, and a scoop of protein powder....mix it together and leave in the fridge overnight or use cold brew coffee. It still comes to about 260 calories, but is very filling and tops out with at least 35g protein. If you buy flavored protein powder, you can mix it with the coffee and come out at about 100 calories a drink (assuming one scoop per drink).
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    At Starbucks I regularly get: iced decaf Americano or iced coffee with two pumps SF mocha or SF vanilla and one Splenda.

The vanilla is nice and sweet and morning-y and the mocha is like adult chocolate milk (even though there's no actual milk).

Once in a while I'll get milk in these but really they taste about the same way so why bother... :D However, even with 2 oz. of full-fat milk you're not talking tons of calories. Beware of doing these as lattes, though. At that point the milk cals are starting to add up but again, if you have the room calories-wise and that's your jam, you are still not talking calories in the hundreds this way.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Coffee and cream in the morning.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    calorie laden delicious
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    fixed it for you

fixed it for you too ^
  • ndj1979
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    calorie laden delicious
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    fixed it for you

fixed it for you too ^

:p
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I haven't really gotten rid of anything. There are things that I have less often.
    I am not satisfied drinking my calories. I drink water or unsweetened teas usually. There are a lot of varieties of tea.

700-1,000 calories is kind of a lot for most people to use on drinks daily. Decide you'd rather use that many calories on something with more nutrition.
    Gradually reduce the number of high calorie drinks you have each day. Does 1 coffee drink a day fit your goals?
    Replace with tasty lower calorie drinks. Try some new things. Different coffees, teas, smoothies, infused waters.
    Move more so you can consume more calories if you really want to have 2-3 of these drinks a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's nothing I can't give up, I choose to not to give up anything.

This. If I had a strong reason (like health issues), I could give up anything I eat or drink.

I don't have such reasons for the vast majority of things, so I haven't given them up. Many things I eat in quite small quantities or rarely, though (and some things I just don't care for or ever want).
  • SciWhiz
    Options
    I read the words binge eating and for the second time in this discussion I had an "aha moment" I think well crap that is what I am doing. I am binging on this stupid coffee. And thinking this is not alcohol I am not going to detox if I stop drinking this crap!

SciWhiz what is the difference in "COLD BREWED" verse coffee you brew and through in fridge?

The water in cold brewed coffee stays in contact with the grounds for a longer period of time than when you quickly brew a pot of coffee and stick that in the fridge. The flavor is much more concentrated and usually needs to be diluted down with a little water (which means a pitcher will last longer) and the caffeine content is higher.