One cookie made me gain 2lbs

Options
Tjs8819
Tjs8819 Posts: 33 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Well not exactly one! I've been having trouble with incorporating "not so healthy foods" into my diet without going overboard. So on last Wednesday had a taste for s chocolate chip cookie, so I had one... problem is, in my mind having one cookie is like having 10. If I have one I might as well have a few more (because my diet is ruined) and get back on track the next day. Well the next day I again ate poorly and decided to enjoy the weekend and start fresh... I went to the gym today and 2lb up. This is why I try so hard to avoid foods that i really like because I won't want to go back to eating healthy. Anyone else like this? I'm tired of the binge and restrict cycle I've fallen into

Replies

• eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes. This time around (ha), I'm telling myself my main goals are to 1. log everything, everyday and 2. stick with it, no matter what, no matter how much I fly right past that calorie goal. At this point the weight has been coming off as a result of those two behaviors, even though there have been many days I've overeaten (I have a lot to lose, YMMV). It keeps me from that "*kitten* it, I've ruined my diet" cycle.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Just get back on it ASAP. It's a process.

I still have pints of Ben and Jerry's on occasion. I still eat a package of cookies some days. I try to do it less than once a week, and I still have some fruit every day to take that sweet craving away.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Unless you ate 7000 calories over your TDEE over the past few days, you haven't actually gained 2lbs of fat.

Fluctuations are normal. Not to mention water retention after eating a bunch of junk food. Plus all the poop in your system.

It's normal. It sounds like the lesson you've learned is 1 cookie is dangerous and can lead to many more cookies. So maybe it's better not to give yourself access to cookies at all. Or make some healthy cookie substitutes for yourself.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It's all individual. Some people are great moderating intake while others are better at abstaining. I can't drink a glass of champagne - I have to finish the bottle.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am pretty good at just taking a serving and putting the rest back now but back when I started? Nope. If I wanted something calorie dense/a "treat" I bought a single serve. Harder with something like a cookie. But if I only buy one and walk away I can only eat one. Often best done just before bed so I don't have time to sit there and think how nice another ten would be.

I do this^

Plan ahead.....late in the day works for me too. 100 calorie cookie packs are nice - Chips Ahoy and Oreo Crisps.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    If you ate a massive cookie that had over 100carbs, it could potentially result in a full pound of weight on the scale (assuming one g carb binds with 3 g water to form glycogen). So.... maybe three cookies could make you gain 2 lbs.

Just conjecture that may or may not be relevant :) Weight is different from strictly just fat, and the amount of water in our bodies is pretty significant.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I actually modified a cookie recipe to only make like 8 cookies, instead of 2-3 dozen. There are even "single serve" recipes out there. This one makes two cookies: http://www.number-2-pencil.com/2012/09/30/perfect-single-serving-size-chocolate/
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    that must have been a very large cookie
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    must have been a helluva cookie.....

im eating tootsie rolls at the moment. and will still be under for the day.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    No one can force you to have discipline. That has to come from you. Either you want to lose, or you don't. It's your decision.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If I want to have a cookie or something similar, I make sure to only buy one. It's a lot easier to limit yourself if you don't have a bunch on hand.