One cookie made me gain 2lbs

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...did people just read the title and not the OP, or was the OP heavily edited after initially posting? As the OP is written now it clearly states she didn't have just one cookie.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    To be fair though, for a lot of us with 'unhealthy food relationships' one cookie is enough to send us barreling off track into fatsville.

Obviously, always, it comes down to self discipline and willpower, but people who have never truly struggled with their food relationship don't really know what a wild ride it is. I'm not making excuses for anyone, but I know just one cookie is enough to turn me into a ravenous carb craving beast for days, and it takes all my will power to stop myself. I have to be very careful what I eat because certain foods trigger binge cravings. That's how it is for me, that's how it is for some people, it's just not how it is for everyone. We are all very unique.

Again, not making excuses, but for those of us who struggle, I guess it's some sort of hormone imbalance or deficiency probably brought on from being overweight to begin with. For me the best solution has always been abstaining from certain foods (like pizza or raspberry danish) that send me into a hunger rampage.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My route of choice to counter this my over indulgence tendencies wasn't abstinence or self control but rather pouring energy into creating alternatives that I thought were healthier and lower in calorie at the same time. Like eating a black bean brownie instead of one made with while flour and sugar. Is it as good? No. But it's better for me in many ways, far lower in calories, and was much easier to fit into my caloric goals for the day. That's something you might want to consider OP. There are different approaches to many recipes that can satisfy your cravings and be easier on your calorie count as well.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    What would have happened if you enjoyed this one cookie and didn't eat the rest? Would your diet be truly ruined?

Did it end up more ruined or less ruined after the choice you made?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Tjs8819 wrote: »
    problem is, in my mind having one cookie is like having 10. If I have one I might as well have a few more (because my diet is ruined) and get back on track the next day.... Anyone else like this? I'm tired of the binge and restrict cycle I've fallen into

Yeah, I have definite tendencies that way. I know it is irrational, but I still have thought patterns that can go there -- oh, bad day already, might as well blow off the rest of the day and start again tomorrow. I think NOT doing this is what allowed me to be successful (I lost 95 lbs in 2014 and early 2015), and I avoided it by really consciously being aware of it and how silly it is. Basically, I decided I did not have to be perfect, that I would analyze screw ups (which having a cookie is not) and figure out why, make it a learning experience, not a "why it's ruined" excuse, and I would work in room for being imperfect (some treats, a dinner out per week, starting with 3 weeks of exercise, not demanding 6 or 7). It was still hard -- when I skipped a bunch of exercise because work went nuts I felt awful and guilty and like it was ruined, and that I might as well just eat badly too, but I did not, and ended up losing more than usual that week, which was a huge step.

Logging helped a ton too, as you could see that one whatever was not a big deal and did not ruin everything, whereas using that as an excuse to eat 10 more, well, that would mean I was taking a week off probably.

But I get it. Keep working against it.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Easier said than done but maybe try and not look at it as a diet but as a change in lifestyle. You want to maintain your weightloss when you reach goal right? That means the changes you are making will have to be for life not temporary.

If you start looking at this for the longterm (it did help me to do this) all of a sudden that cookie no longer becomes that forbidden food that ruined my diet by having one. It becomes: 'I fancy a cookie, let's see if I can fit it in my calories for the day'. If you don't want give up cookies for the rest of your life then find a way to fit them in on occasion. (This applies to any food by the way the cookie was used as the example).

(I will put a disclaimer in, I have had to ban cookies from my house when I first started though as I had no self control and would just eat the whole pack in one sitting but this was temporary and they now feature in the snack cupboard again.)
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    No one can force you to have discipline. That has to come from you. Either you want to lose, or you don't. It's your decision.

This is the truth.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    How does Cookie monster never get fat?
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Have you seen him eat? 90% of the cookies fall out of his mouth.

LOL

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    My route of choice to counter this my over indulgence tendencies wasn't abstinence or self control but rather pouring energy into creating alternatives that I thought were healthier and lower in calorie at the same time. Like eating a black bean brownie instead of one made with while flour and sugar. Is it as good? No. But it's better for me in many ways, far lower in calories, and was much easier to fit into my caloric goals for the day. That's something you might want to consider OP. There are different approaches to many recipes that can satisfy your cravings and be easier on your calorie count as well.

This is what I do quite often, including this morning, and many of those healthier alternatives are pretty darned good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's why you log. Log the cookie, see how many calories you have left... adjust accordingly. You can definitely fit one cookie in your days.

And log the extra 10 cookies too, if you end up eating them. It's a big wake up call, honestly.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

Have you seen him eat? 90% of the cookies fall out of his mouth.

So key to not getting fat is being a messy eater. Why didn't think of that sooner.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think, depending on the food and why you want it, this can be a good strategy. (For me, I only want brownies quite rarely and can eat small amounts, so adding less satisfying brownies into my diet more regularly would not be useful, but I'm sure there are examples of such things I do.)

OP doesn't seem to have a problem fitting in one cookie, though. She has a problem with her train of thought afterwards, that imperfection=ruined day, and ruined day is ruined day, whether it's one cookie within her calories or many cookies way over, likely not logged (and then who knows what else). If she saw the healthier cookie as not ruining the day, maybe that would help, but the key is getting over that destructive and illogical train of thought.