Muscle recovery help!

Options
Hi am working out easily doing lots of cardio and weights when I'm doing the classes in five when I'm home I'm stiff and achey any tricks off anyone would be welcome thank you in advance

Replies

• hpearce123
    hpearce123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What's BCAA's hun
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    hpearce123 wrote: »
    What's BCAA's hun

branch chain amino acids.
  • hpearce123
    Options
    Thanks guys Ile have a read up on them
  • hpearce123
    Options
    Do u find the more u keep moving the less stiff u get I have he body if an old lady today after today's class
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Do u find the more u keep moving the less stiff u get I have he body if an old lady today after today's class

Yes, keep moving.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I second the BCAA's. I do fasted cardio and strength training sometimes and I find that it really helps with the soreness. The effectiveness is different for everyone though, so I'd reccomend trying to get some samples or buying a small amount first to see if it works for you.
    On another note, making time for proper stretching and cooldowns also can work wonders. I am guilty of skipping sometimes but when I don't skip I recover a lot better. Adequate protein also may help!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Yes, I personally recommend walking or any light activity to get your heart rate up when sore. It definitely helps!

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Salt bath then keep moving.
  • hpearce123
    Options
    Oo salt bath that sounds good
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have recently incorporated more stretching and that seems to have helped. You can also try and time some protein and carbs around your workouts.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you are doing endurance workouts, you should try to get a good protein / starchy snack within 30 minutes of working out to replace the lost glycogen.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all of the above
    Also make sure you're getting plenty of sleep
    For me, staying active in general, drinking tons of water, taking time to cool down after a workout and getting extra sleep are all imperative to prevent "can't-even-sit-on-the-toilet-broken-old-lady-syndrome"
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above, I find that having a really big deficit makes my Dom's awful. A moderate deficit helps me with recovery.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Cardio - If you are doing cardio, then stop and do nothing, the lactic acid will build up in your muscles and you will ache later. If you keep moving for awhile after your workout, it won't build up like that. This is why you see professional athletes riding a stationary bike after a game. Finish your workout, then go for a 5-10 minute walk or something.

Weight lifting - I did find once that I had a glass of milk after lifting heavy and I didn't ache at all later. Kind of anecdotal though.
  • hpearce123
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Cardio - If you are doing cardio, then stop and do nothing, the lactic acid will build up in your muscles and you will ache later. If you keep moving for awhile after your workout, it won't build up like that. This is why you see professional athletes riding a stationary bike after a game. Finish your workout, then go for a 5-10 minute walk or something.

Weight lifting - I did find once that I had a glass of milk after lifting heavy and I didn't ache at all later. Kind of anecdotal though.

That's a really good point with the athletes thank you
  • hpearce123
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Agreed with all of the above
    Also make sure you're getting plenty of sleep
    For me, staying active in general, drinking tons of water, taking time to cool down after a workout and getting extra sleep are all imperative to prevent "can't-even-sit-on-the-toilet-broken-old-lady-syndrome"

Yer broken old lady syndrome worked I had a big gun bottle if water b cordial to flush any toxins feel allot better today X
  • Sindbad1985
    Sindbad1985 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sleep better to recover
  • bgonzalez1925
    bgonzalez1925 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I second the BCAA's. I do fasted cardio and strength training sometimes and I find that it really helps with the soreness. The effectiveness is different for everyone though, so I'd reccomend trying to get some samples or buying a small amount first to see if it works for you.
    On another note, making time for proper stretching and cooldowns also can work wonders. I am guilty of skipping sometimes but when I don't skip I recover a lot better. Adequate protein also may help!

What's fasted cardio?