Muscle recovery help!

Options
2»

Replies

• yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I second the BCAA's. I do fasted cardio and strength training sometimes and I find that it really helps with the soreness. The effectiveness is different for everyone though, so I'd reccomend trying to get some samples or buying a small amount first to see if it works for you.
    On another note, making time for proper stretching and cooldowns also can work wonders. I am guilty of skipping sometimes but when I don't skip I recover a lot better. Adequate protein also may help!

What's fasted cardio?

Cardio in a fasted state. Some people like to do their workout first thing in the morning before eating anything at all. That, and you could do fasted cardio during the day provided you haven't eaten 6 hours prior. This is when BCAA's are effective as they help keep your muscle from wasting away. BCAA's are good for DOM's too.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    hpearce123 wrote: »
    Oo salt bath that sounds good

epsom salt bath,I dont know if thats what runaround meant or not.foam roller can help too
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Agreed with all of the above
    Also make sure you're getting plenty of sleep
    For me, staying active in general, drinking tons of water, taking time to cool down after a workout and getting extra sleep are all imperative to prevent "can't-even-sit-on-the-toilet-broken-old-lady-syndrome"

Yer broken old lady syndrome worked I had a big gun bottle if water b cordial to flush any toxins feel allot better today X

what toxins are you flushing out that your organs dont?
  • DeeWalkz
    DeeWalkz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your rest days are really important as is protein in rebuilding the muscle. Nothing beats real protein but if you need a supplement go for it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    For me, staying active in general, drinking tons of water, taking time to cool down after a workout and getting extra sleep are all imperative to prevent "can't-even-sit-on-the-toilet-broken-old-lady-syndrome"

Yer broken old lady syndrome worked I had a big gun bottle if water b cordial to flush any toxins feel allot better today X

I can't speak for the OP but there's still a lot of myths out there of soreness being a result of lactic acid buildup.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Big on the BCAA's especially cause I'm no spring chicken. You can find them in tablet form, or as a post workout powder at any supplement store. I've tried several, and none really taste awesome
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I can't speak for the OP but there's still a lot of myths out there of soreness being a result of lactic acid buildup.

The Reality is we really don't know what causes it. Despite much study the mechanism or mechanisms that cause DOMS are still relatively mysterious. We do know that Increasing cooldown tends to help, Hydration tends to help. Protein/BCAAs tend to help. We also know that despite the fact that moving with DOMS hurts, Moving/stretching is the way to recovery... working through is the only way to get through.
  • hpearce123
    hpearce123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Does anyone experaince a gain I've eaten well this week and worked out 5 days this week yet I have gained a pound
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Does anyone experaince a gain I've eaten well this week and worked out 5 days this week yet I have gained a pound

Your body can naturally fluctuate several lbs a day, week, month; and it's worse for women. I am actually up 1/2 this week. But my workouts have increased in intensity a bit, so I suspect its more water retention from exercise.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Get a foam roller and the Stick. Both will help break up the muscle tissue and help with increasing your range of motion. It hurts at first, but helps with recover and the pain of sore muscles will lessen

https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Self-Roller-Massager-Travel-Stick/dp/B0028BSFIS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KAEJ3W2/ref=mh_s9_acsd_top_bEIXf_c_x_3_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-3&pf_rd_r=EEX2BBMSYPQ2HS76C5KF&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=4b0d3665-e54a-5ab7-9d65-3c8971aa6155&pf_rd_i=3407871
  • kylesmith2017
    kylesmith2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually just get some protein in me after workout then I have a 5-7 min cold shower.
  • Healthyhenk
    Healthyhenk Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. If im on the tennis court the first runs are really bad! I look like an old men of 80 years old. I think i'll start first with drinking water. Can this be also tea or does it need to be plain water?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Wait is it not due to the lactic acid?

Educate me here please, I always thought it was.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Also, add magnesium. You can take a supplement tablet or eat vegetables or soak in epsom salts for that.