1300 Calories and not losing!

Options

Replies

• Mrussell2237
    Mrussell2237 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'd kick a puppy to effortlessly lose 9lbs in 2 months. The problem is not your metabolism, it's your expectations. Make them realistic, you're doing great

Well, It's been 2 months logging here, but another month before. I exercise and eat a healthy 1300 calories as well as drinking a gallon of water daily.
    I thought having expectations of 1.5-2 lbs a week in the beginning was realistic, as I have 80 lbs to lose. I understand that as I get closer to a goal weight it would be a much slower loss rate.
    I had previously lost 100 lbs in 9 months on Weight Watchers and maintained it. I gained 90 back after the death of my son 5 years ago.
    I am trying not to be unrealistic or set my expectations too high.... I just remember how much easier it was the last time...
  • Mrussell2237
    Options

Sunna_W wrote: »
    All other things being equal -- assuming that you are restricting based upon your height and current weight and your weight loss goals 1 pound a week is normal for the number of calories you are on. You want to lose weight slowly b/c that minimizes severe sagging and wrinkling - trust me!

That means you have maintained a deficit of 31,500 calories! (Great Job!)

What is your long term plan? How much weight are you trying to lose and what weight are you trying to maintain?

IMO - your calories now should be your calories forever if that fits with your height and will maintain your optimum BMI.

I chose 1400 calories (I am 5'6" and weighed 193 lbs in November) for both my weight loss and my maintenance goals.

Just, FYI, here are some other things to consider:

Check your body temperature (is it above / below 98.6)
    Are you pre / post menopause (do you have estrogen dominance, insulin resistance, high cortisol)
    BTW, I am post menopause and in addition to the Vivelle dot estrogen patch and 200 mgs of Prometrium progesterone, I also 100 mgs 7-keto DHEA and 80 mgs desiccated adrenal and that has helped tremendously.

My DHEA blood test is normal and my cortisol levels are way down.

Note: only you and your doctor can help you to decide which HRT if any is right for you.

I don't have the breast cancer gene, but heart disease runs rampant in my family and estrogen helps to protect that. If you do take estrogen it has to be a specific kind (bio-identical) and cannot be "unopposed"; you need progesterone. Also, progesterone helps you maintain fine motor skills and balance in addition to clear thinking.

A great book to get would be Dr. John Lee's Hormone Balance Made Simple: The Essential How-to Guide to Symptoms, Dosage, Timing, and More

He recommends progesterone cream; I do better with the oral dosage.

Another book would be Ageless: The Naked Truth About Bioidentical Hormones by Suzanne Sommers (Yes, "Chrissie" actually has a brain!)

I recommend getting used paper copies so you can underline, use sticky notes and advocate for yourself.

If you google "Bio-identical hormone docs" and your city and state something should pop up.

Thank you for all of this information. I am going to dive into it and see what I can make of it all!
    I am post-menopausal. I don't take any hormones.
    I do have Lupus, but at this point am medication free.
    I drink a gallon of water a day, making sure 4 cups of that is green tea.
    I have been on here for 2 months, but doing it for another month before finding this site.
    I had previously lost 100 lbs on Weight Watchers and maintained it for many years, until the death of my son, when I gained 90 lbs in 6 months.
    I religiously weigh and measure every single thing that goes in my body and even pre-plan my meals. I am trying not to have unrealistic expectations, but I do know how I lose, and at this point I go weeks and weeks without seeing the scale move at all, then I will have a sudden 4 or 5 lb loss. (weird)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your son :(
    Are you weighing your food with a food scale? I know it's frustrating to lose slowly but the time will pass regardless so you may as well stick to your plan and you WILL get there. My bf is 5'11, 215 and lean... he can shred fat at a rate I would only dream of (don't get me started on his bulk calories). Try not to compare yourself to your husband and keep doing what you're doing!!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight. I guess I am remembering how quickly I lost 10 years ago.... I was younger.
    I am exercising, I just don't eat my exercise calories. I weigh and measure EVERYTHING!
    My husband has lost 30 lbs in the same amount of time... I know men lose faster, but gosh, he's catching up to my weight and he's taller. It's making me feel kinda depressed.

10lbs in 2 months is good even for younger people. A lot of people on here lose 1/2 lb per week. Stay positive! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight. I guess I am remembering how quickly I lost 10 years ago.... I was younger.
    I am exercising, I just don't eat my exercise calories. I weigh and measure EVERYTHING!
    My husband has lost 30 lbs in the same amount of time... I know men lose faster, but gosh, he's catching up to my weight and he's taller. It's making me feel kinda depressed.

We can lose faster in the beginning because we can more glycogen/water weight. But overall, faster is not better, especially because it tends to come from muscle. In general, you want to lose .5 to 1% of your weight per week.
  • Mrussell2237
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am in need of advice.
    I log faithfully... every BLT even.
    I keep my carbs below 80 and calories right at 1300....I am not losing!
    I am over 50....is that the problem?
    Any ideas to bump metabolism??
    (I have been at this for over 2 months and have lost 9 lbs.)
    I'd kick a puppy to effortlessly lose 9lbs in 2 months. The problem is not your metabolism, it's your expectations. Make them realistic, you're doing great

Well, It's been 2 months logging here, but another month before. I exercise and eat a healthy 1300 calories as well as drinking a gallon of water daily.
    I thought having expectations of 1.5-2 lbs a week in the beginning was realistic, as I have 80 lbs to lose. I understand that as I get closer to a goal weight it would be a much slower loss rate.
    I had previously lost 100 lbs in 9 months on Weight Watchers and maintained it. I gained 90 back after the death of my son 5 years ago.
    I am trying not to be unrealistic or set my expectations too high.... I just remember how much easier it was the last time...

I'm going to go against the flow here and say that at my height of 5'6" and with 80 pounds to lose, I'd be losing a lot faster than a pound a week on 1300 calories. So if you are close to my height, you may wish to change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings so we can check for common logging errors.

Plenty of 50+ women here, myself included, so that's not it per se. I did lose faster when I was younger, but I also had more muscle and was more active.

I would love insight! I am splitting the 1300 calories as breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack. I personally have found (in the past) that with a severely restricted diet, it is best to continually feed my body a little bit at regular intervals....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Mrussell2237
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of good advice here.

I just wanted to wish you luck and to say I am sorry about your loss.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I am in need of advice.

I'm going to go against the flow here and say that at my height of 5'6" and with 80 pounds to lose, I'd be losing a lot faster than a pound a week on 1300 calories. So if you are close to my height, you may wish to change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings so we can check for common logging errors.

Plenty of 50+ women here, myself included, so that's not it per se. I did lose faster when I was younger, but I also had more muscle and was more active.

I would love insight! I am splitting the 1300 calories as breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack. I personally have found (in the past) that with a severely restricted diet, it is best to continually feed my body a little bit at regular intervals....

At a glance, it seems you're not weighing your eggs, avocado, chicken or fruit. There's quite a bit of room for error with items like that.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am in need of advice.

At a glance, it seems you're not weighing your eggs, avocado, chicken or fruit. There's quite a bit of room for error with items like that.

The eggs are probably fine. I thought what you did too, but looking at my diary, an average large egg is 70 calories.

But I did have a question about he fruit and avocado.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I am in need of advice.

9lb over 2~ months for someone who isn't very fat and who is over 50 is very acceptable and good rate of weight loss.

I'm a short inactive woman (but 25 y/o), about 130lb now, and I eat a similar amount, 1300 a day. I lose weight extremely slow, 1lb a week if I'm lucky.

Addendum: And I'm currently desperately trying to recover after gaining 2kg/4lb after going to live with my family for a month and being fattened up by them, I'm kinda bummed that it's probably going to take 1~2 months of careful diet and exercise to undo the damage of a month.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    wow 9lbs in 2month is amazing progress!!! You are doing great
  • Mrussell2237
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of good advice here.

I just wanted to wish you luck and to say I am sorry about your loss.

Thank you.
  • Mrussell2237
    Options
    I am in need of advice.

I am weighing meat and such, fruit is measured in cups and I don't weigh my eggs or avocados. I buy the tiny avocados in the bags that come in the 3-packs. I measure out my salad dressings and rarely use other condiments. My eggs are fresh from my chickens and they lay medium eggs, but sometimes some are a bit bigger, so I count them all as large (70 calorie) eggs.
    Pretty much the only fruit I have are the strawberries in my smoothie. (1 cup frozen berries and 2 cups almond milk)
  • Mrussell2237
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's honest feedback. I love that this community doesn't sugar coat things, lol.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    How does your activity compare to when you were younger & losing weight? I'm nearing 50 and felt like I was losing much slower now too, but then realized I was comparing it to when I was working in an extremely active, physical job. Now I'm a SAHM and live in a pretty small house- not a lot of activity that isn't purposeful exercise.

Your progress has been terrific though- congratulations :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Someone say sugar.. now I want jelly beans!
  • Mrussell2237
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    How does your activity compare to when you were younger & losing weight? I'm nearing 50 and felt like I was losing much slower now too, but then realized I was comparing it to when I was working in an extremely active, physical job. Now I'm a SAHM and live in a pretty small house- not a lot of activity that isn't purposeful exercise.

Your progress has been terrific though- congratulations :)

Thank you. My activity level is about the same. I work as an activities assistant, so run an exercise program 5 x week, (It involves a lot of stretching, bending and chasing) and I walk 5-7 miles a day at work for my job, often hurrying---Always hurrying (I can't say no to a residents needs, so have to make it to another program at the other end of the building in double time, lol). I take the stairs instead of elevator....
    I guess I just need to realize I'm not as young as I was and take the loss as it comes. I know I am doing the right things.... Patience grasshopper, I guess. ;-)
  • Mrussell2237
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Oh damn--- TRIGGER. Talk about a trigger, I walked into my office and it smelled like red twizzlers. My office mates were binging. ARRRGGGGHHHH! I resisted! (Small NSV)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Oh damn--- TRIGGER. Talk about a trigger, I walked into my office and it smelled like red twizzlers. My office mates were binging. ARRRGGGGHHHH! I resisted! (Small NSV)

Nice...

I gave in... and followed it with a klondike today...