What I've Learned in 500 days of logging

Options
2»

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    This post I am going to bookmark to give me motivation in times when I need it, I only started my weightloss journey on the 16th January this year (121 days), I have a long way to go yet, I have lost some, usually 1-2 lbs per week, I have learnt so much and I am still learning, I have tried dieting before and only lasted a few weeks, a month or 2 if I was more dedicated, this is the longest I have stuck with it and it was because of 1 piece of very very good advice, my doctor told me: "See it as a lifestyle change, a healthy one, if you see it as a diet you will think of all the foods you cannot have and chances are you'll fail, besides diet has die in it (she said jokingly), seeing it as a lifestyle change or leading a healthier lifestyle you will think more long term and incorporate much loved foods into your daily calories without feeling like your bring naughty" and its so true, I have followed that advice and still do, I have switched a few things like no butter/spread on toast, cheddar cheese to cottage cheese, rice, pasta and bread to brown, fried eggs to poached or boiled, crisps (potato chips if not UK) for popcorn, basically anything I usually have I have switched to lower calorie versions or just eat less of, like before I could easily eat a 150g bag of potato chips that were just under 800 calories without even thinking now if I want that bag of potato chips I will split into half or 1/4 and spread that bag out over 2-4 days also routine is everything.
    I also found that those meal replacement shakes (slim fast or cheaper alternatives) help a lot, I have one at lunch time with half a banana or some carrot sticks, I like to make sure I have all the protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals my body needs, it helps me as I am working with a tight money budget.

This is just what has helped me... it may not work for everyone.

We all have to do what works for US! You have done great, keep it up!
    Yep, all of the above. I've been logging for 674 days- I lost 30 pounds and have another 10-15 to go but have been stuck since about day 150. The plateau drove me nuts at first but I no longer let it worry or concern me. This is my life now- regular exercise most days (light to intense cardio hiit, roller derby and weights) and better food choices (most of the time!) while continuing to weigh and log. I feel better, look better and have energy. If I eventually lose more, great, if I don't, so be it.
    Another couple for me...

So much YES!

Pre-logging my entire food diary before breakfast is essential in order to stay on track. Especially when someone brings treats to work. I can check my diary and see if I can make the treat fit, or if I even want to.

Eliminating chocolate, ice cream, and candy set me up to freak out and binge. I allow 200-300 calories every night for dessert. (And it's logged before breakfast. ;) )

I agree that eliminating anything sets you up for failure. The only thing I occasionally eliminate is alcohol. The only reason I do that is because I have a hard time controlling it. Some people can do fine, I can't. I slowly introduce it back into my diet often, but usually end up giving it up again. This is just what works for me. : )
    lorinoye wrote: »
    That is so inspiring! I'm only 81 days in, but that's so much longer than I've ever stuck to a diet.

You've got this. You can take a break, just don't quit.

I've learned that motivation is key. Having both short-term and long-term goals is absolutely necessary. Long-term goals are great to keep in sight, but it can be frustrating to work for weeks or months and not achieve them. If you have short-term goals that you can achieve every few weeks or months will keep you motivated and happy. My short-term goal is to look great in the dress I bought for a wedding in June. My long-term goal is

I've also learned to see past the appeal of food to it's true nature. Sure a giant bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup and sprinkles sounds amazing and would no doubt taste great, but is it worth ruining your entire day's calorie count for 10 minutes of enjoyment? I could have a huge serving of roasted veggies for half the calories.

TRUTH!
    SO MUCH TRUTH!

70 days down for me and while definitely not easy, absolutely worth it.

Keep it up. It gets easier, I promise.

• HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Love your post

few to add

* that counting calories isn't really that big of a deal and if you find it easy, you don't have to stop doing it. It's like budgeting - you may end up enjoying the feeling that you know where are you at

* that things change and what suits you now may not suit you in few months and there is not once and done this is it. Example I eat salad for lunch. Winter time salad for lunch most days would make me miserable! It worked in the summer, time to find out works in the winter

* That it doesn't have to be hard, you can make it hard if you want to but it really isn't necessary

* That counting when you go over, even quick add 2000 calories madly estimated on day out have benefit. It made me own what I do and avoids - "lets go crazy cos I am off the waggon, so I may as well... "! It all count. It all can be ok if you awn what you choose to do

• SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    Love your post

few to add

* that counting calories isn't really that big of a deal and if you find it easy, you don't have to stop doing. It's like budgeting - you may end up enjoying the feeling that you know where are you at

* that things change and what suits you now may not suit you in few months and there is not once and done this is it. Example I eat salad for lunch. Winter time salad for lunch most days would make me miserable! It worked in the summer, time to find out works in the winter

* That it doesn't have to be hard, you can make it hard if you want to but it really isn't necessary

* That counting when you go over, even quick add 2000 calories madly estimated on day out have benefit. It made me own what I do and avoids - lets go crazy cos I am off the waggon, so I may as well! It all count. It all can be ok if you awn what you choose to do

This is all true and I like the highlighted part. Even it you don't log it...your body does. The benefit by YOU logging it is that you can make adjustments elsewhere.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    Sorry if I've failed to "quote" any of you, all of your messages are inspiring and spot on. Thank you!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    jenno369 wrote: »
    So much wonderful advice on this thread--not much comes to mind to add, but I wanted to chime in as today is also my 500th day in a row of logging! I know the perseverance it has taken for me, and it is so inspiring to see someone else who has been doing the same over the same time. Huge congratulations to you! Lets make it 500 more!

Excellent work and dedication! Here's to 500 more!!!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    just how simple it is to lose weight this way. i just had to eat as much as i was allowed and poof! weight gone.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'm at 151 days of logging but if I hadn't stopped logging during my pregnancy, I'd be up near your numbers!

Most of my "what I've learned" has been mentioned so in very short form:

1. Fads do not work. It is simply a matter of burning more calories daily than my body uses.
    2. Physical activities and exercise help me stay focused on my goal but are not my primary weight loss technique. Calorie counting is.
    3. Realistic meal planning works best for me. I plan everything very specifically but often leave a bit of wiggle room for the randomness of life. Aka "I ruined supper, now we get ____ instead".
    4. Beverages. When in doubt, drink the water. Trust me. If pee is pale yellow then everything is great. Calorie filled beverages never make this girl happy.
    5. Messing up one meal once in a while isn't a big deal as long as it doesn't become habit.
    6. Surround yourself with great people. Food evangelists and food nazis and judgmental people come out of the woodwork when you start losing weight.
    7. No one wants to hear that you lost weight by counting calories and being honest about intake. And the shallow people who liked having "the fat friend" start getting uptight when you are smaller than them.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    I'm at 151 days of logging but if I hadn't stopped logging during my pregnancy, I'd be up near your numbers!

Most of my "what I've learned" has been mentioned so in very short form:

1. Fads do not work. It is simply a matter of burning more calories daily than my body uses.
    2. Physical activities and exercise help me stay focused on my goal but are not my primary weight loss technique. Calorie counting is.
    3. Realistic meal planning works best for me. I plan everything very specifically but often leave a bit of wiggle room for the randomness of life. Aka "I ruined supper, now we get ____ instead".
    4. Beverages. When in doubt, drink the water. Trust me. If pee is pale yellow then everything is great. Calorie filled beverages never make this girl happy.
    5. Messing up one meal once in a while isn't a big deal as long as it doesn't become habit.
    6. Surround yourself with great people. Food evangelists and food nazis and judgmental people come out of the woodwork when you start losing weight.
    7. No one wants to hear that you lost weight by counting calories and being honest about intake. And the shallow people who liked having "the fat friend" start getting uptight when you are smaller than them.

I agree with everything on your list! And I wish you continued success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!