Looking for Advice from Guys over 40

Options
13»

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Sorry to intrude on the Boys Only thread :)
    I'm 38 and have lost 90 pounds so far. My advice is simple- find something you love to do. For me it's (1) trail running (2) deadlifts and (3) squats. Keep trying different things until you find *your* thing!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    OP - Congrats on your great start at improving your health and fitness. I didn't start until age 54 at a peak weight of 235lbs (I'm 5'7"). I weigh 179 now.

It seems like you've figured out a lot already, and you've have gotten some rock solid advice from others here.

Your situation resonated with me, since I had become a very sedentary, unhealthy adult over a fifteen year period, due to frequent business travel and too many nights spent sitting at a computer.

I think your strategy of making incremental changes is the big key to success. You're looking for long term health improvements, so no quick fix, "Big Bang" solution is needed. The incremental changes I've made have taken me from not being able to climb a flight of stairs without gasping in 2010 to completing a full marathon and several half iron distance races over the last twelve months.

Best of luck.

• bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Them marathons are a real pain lol^
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Yes, they are. But training for them is a lot of fun.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Yes, they are. But training for them is a lot of fun.

I love it but I did it once and probably won't again
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

Agreed. I prefer triathlon, so I can share the pain among different muscle groups :wink:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Ok, then. The videos - from what little I looked at - seemed fine.

My son has had several jobs in the fitness industry. He worked for sixpackshortcuts for about 3 weeks when he was between jobs (the facility he was working at closed suddenly).

My son's opinion, like yours, was the videos seemed fairly solid. The upsell on supplements, etc in his opinion was overkill.