Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Another study about how Red Meat is going to kill us

Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    you can find a study to support any position. jus sayin.

I doubt that's true.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The association with processed meats and disease is pretty well established. Including both processed and unprocessed skews the study too much to make any valid link between unprocessed meat and disease.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    I thought fish was a type of meat.....

From what I understand of the study it shows that chicken and fish don't cause issues, just red meat (processed and non-processed).

Or are you referring to my woe in the op?

Doesn't fish give you mercury and heavy metal poisoning....according to studies.

It really varies based on kind of fish and then location of where the fish came from (and if it was farmed or wild caught). Right now I only eat wild caught salmon.

http://www.ewg.org/research/ewgs-good-seafood-guide/executive-summary
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    I thought fish was a type of meat.....

From what I understand of the study it shows that chicken and fish don't cause issues, just red meat (processed and non-processed).

Or are you referring to my woe in the op?

Doesn't fish give you mercury and heavy metal poisoning....according to studies.

This would very much depend on the fish...not all fish are high mercury...there are a lot of fish with very low mercury. I eat a lot of salmon, wild Alaskan cod, and shrimp...all of which are pretty low and not really an issue.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I refer to the wisdom of Chris Rock "If you lucky enough to get your hands on a steak, bite the s$!t out of it!"
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    One thing to limit is salt cured meat...such as bacon, ham, corned beef. It's been linked to cancer.
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love red meat. A great big thick super rare strip steak is amazing. Steak tartare is one of my favorite things in the world. That delicious minced up beef with the egg yolk on it. I could have a strip steak for dinner and some tartare for dessert and be super happy.

I'm wondering what other factors affect this.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I limited my meat intake to a point that thanks to MFP I realized that my protein intake was too low. I eat meat every 3 days or so. Exception to bacon, 3-4x per week. I know that I should avoid it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe-

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2017/05/17/red-meat-eaters-may-have-higher-risk-dying-from-these-9-diseases.html

actual study-
    http://www.bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j1957

I've recently switched to a more whole foods, plant based diet with fish almost daily, (loosely basing my woe on one of the blue zones right now). I'm focused on adding certain things to my diet, (veggies, whole grains, beans, fish etc), and have reduced my meat consumption to balance these additions, (only so many hours and calories in the day). I still eat beef around 1 time a week, have completely eliminated pork except for the occasional bacon, and the biggest reduction has actually been chicken-I've pretty much swapped the daily chicken I was eating with fish. It would seem that I'm on the right track, barring the chicken reduction, but who knows.

Thoughts on the study?

eta: edited for clarity

Ahhh ... but what a way to go! :smiley: I have London Broil waiting for me at home. :wink: Seriously, though, for a person with iron issues, beef is the easiest way to fix it. Iron from plant sources is not absorbed as readily.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I limited my meat intake to a point that thanks to MFP I realized that my protein intake was too low.

If you want to, you can get lots of protein without eating meat.