Starting Keto

Options
I'm thinking about starting Keto to try to lose weight quicker, but as I was reading through it, it's a significant calorie deficit, and no snacking in between meals, :s my question is this: Is it ok to still workout since you'll be in major calorie deficit? I already feel like I'm going to pass out after a workout since I cut down on my calorie intake from 2500 to 1200. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, there are a variety of ways to approach keto. I'm going to strongly recommend joining this group, reading their launch pad, and asking questions there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about starting Keto to try to lose weight quicker, but as I was reading through it, it's a significant calorie deficit, and no snacking in between meals, :s my question is this: Is it ok to still workout since you'll be in major calorie deficit? I already feel like I'm going to pass out after a workout since I cut down on my calorie intake from 2500 to 1200. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks

keto doesnt make you lose weight faster, the big losses in the beginning are usually water weight. its not a special weight loss diet,weight loss will not be linear just like any other way of eating)..you can snack between meals and you can work out. why would you be in a major deficit and why would you cut your calories that far down? but yeah the group should help you out.
  • rept_o
    rept_o Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Keto is about putting yourself into ketogenisis, which includes cutting out carbs and increasing fat and protein intake. Your body literally learns to burn fat instead of carbs for energy and weight loss doesn't have anything to do with "losing water weight". If you're used to 2500, id recommend trying to hit 1800 calories for 2 weeks before dropping to 1500 or 1200. Eitherway.. Definitely workout on keto, your results will be magnified and muscles should have enough protein to repair itself. Finally... There are supplements that help your body with keto. Lmk if you're interested (i dont work for any of them).
  • rept_o
    Options
    Here is a sample meal plan:
    B: avacado, spinach, pineapple juice smoothie (more spinach, less pineapple juice) gotta get the micros
    L: 3 tins if tuna in olive oil (wild caught, or preferably salmon for extra fat)
    Post-workout: proteinshake with whole milk
    D: pork butt shoulder.

Good snacks: bacon, lard, butter, eggs
  • rept_o
    Options
    D: = Dinner
  • sarie1win
    sarie1win Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can work out on a ketogenic diet, but it should be anaerobic exercise only until you reach your goal and reintroduce more carbs. This is because you body's first source for energy in an aerobic activity carbohydrates- more specifically, glucose. This is why runners carb-load before races... Since you are depriving yourself of carbs in a ketogenic diet, glucose is less accessible for your body to use for energy. Your body can create its own glucose to use when absolutely necessary through gluconeogenesis by breaking down your body's proteins, lactate in muscles, and fatty acids, but the process is slow and inefficient and will leave you feeling even more drained than you do already with just your reduced caloric intact. This is why you should always consume some carbs even when inducing and maintaining ketosis. What all this stuff ultimately means is, if your going to work out, avoid cardio workouts such as running, biking, aerobics. Zumba, etc. and stick to strength training and resistance. Weightlifting, yoga, and Pilates are all great options.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I did ketoish for a while and that meal plan would make me :disappointed: too.

Breakfast: Strawberry/Yogurt (full fat)/protein powder smoothie. Sometimes with spinach.

Lunch: salad, some sort of leafy green base with avocado (half), an oil or yogurt or mayo based dressing. Fresh cut veggies. Cheese. And tuna or egg or dinner leftovers for the protein. Most of the fat from the dressing, cheese and avocado.

Dinner: sauteed veggies (butter!) plus protein usually. Sometimes the other half of the avocado. Did bunless burgers in a lettuce wrap fairly often as well as egg scrambled.

If I needed a snack I went with cheese or macadamia nuts or yogurt with almond butter.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Do check out the group linked above. Lots of info there.

Ketosis is just a way of eating. It can be in a deficit or even in excess. In fact I regained some weight this winter while eating keto. Before that I was maintaining the 40 lbs I lost while keto. One can snack on keto of fast. You could eat 5+ times per day or as little as one. It's up to you.
    sarie1win wrote: »
    You can work out on a ketogenic diet, but it should be anaerobic exercise only until you reach your goal and reintroduce more carbs. This is because you body's first source for energy in an aerobic activity carbohydrates- more specifically, glucose. This is why runners carb-load before races... Since you are depriving yourself of carbs in a ketogenic diet, glucose is less accessible for your body to use for energy. Your body can create its own glucose to use when absolutely necessary through gluconeogenesis by breaking down your body's proteins, lactate in muscles, and fatty acids, but the process is slow and inefficient and will leave you feeling even more drained than you do already with just your reduced caloric intact. This is why you should always consume some carbs even when inducing and maintaining ketosis. What all this stuff ultimately means is, if your going to work out, avoid cardio workouts such as running, biking, aerobics. Zumba, etc. and stick to strength training and resistance. Weightlifting, yoga, and Pilates are all great options.

I disagree with this. People sometimes experience a small dip in energy when starting keto while the body becomes fat adapted, but it is minor.

And it is actually in endurance spots where ketosis can be an advantage- mainly extreme endurance events.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A ketogenic diet does not increase/speed up weight loss other than the initial water weight loss from glycogen depletion.

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/11/30/ajcn.115.123463.abstract

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/07/05/ajcn.116.133561.abstract
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rept_o wrote: »
    Keto is about putting yourself into ketogenisis, which includes cutting out carbs and increasing fat and protein intake. Your body literally learns to burn fat instead of carbs for energy and weight loss doesn't have anything to do with "losing water weight". If you're used to 2500, id recommend trying to hit 1800 calories for 2 weeks before dropping to 1500 or 1200. Eitherway.. Definitely workout on keto, your results will be magnified and muscles should have enough protein to repair itself. Finally... There are supplements that help your body with keto. Lmk if you're interested (i dont work for any of them).

Your body has two primary sources of energy carbs and fats... that doesn't change on ketogenic. The only thing that occurs is the rate of carb oxidation decreases and the rate of fat oxidation increase. But guess what, it doesn't matter. It's the net effect of both in terms of energy balance. You eat more fat, you store more fat. You eat more carbs, you store more carbs. Substrate utilization for the average person doesn't matter. For an endurance athlete, it does.
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2017
    Options

If you always feel like you are going to pass out, it's because you cut available energy by over 50% which isn't really a good thing to do. And aggressive weight loss doesn't equal better as it tends to lead to increase muscle loss which forces you to diet longer and will end up more flabby.

The best thing you can do, is find a diet you can adhere to, and have a moderate 15-20% reduction of calories, so your body is fed and you can push hard during workouts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Keto has nothing to do with the size of your deficit, and you can have no deficit or gain weight on it or have a more significant deficit, as with any other way of eating.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't know where you read these supposed "rules" to keto... but they're not true.

The only rule of keto is to limit your carbohydrates to 20-50g (or about 5% carb macro) per day and eat lots of fat. Normal macros would be 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carb.

You can eat what you what, when you want, and how much you want. You can use keto to lose, gain or maintain.

You still need to track your calories to lose weight when following keto. The main bonus is that fat and protein tend to be a lot more filling than carbs, so you'll naturally eat less.
  • Green_Eyed_Momster
    Green_Eyed_Momster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, you have bad information on keto. You don't need a severe calorie deficit at all. Here are some good websites, blogs etc.: Ruled.me; All Day I Dream About Food; I Breathe, I'm Hungry; DietDictor.com; Dr. Sarah Halberg; Eating Academy; Low Carb Dietician (Franziska Spritzler); LCHF Nation (they'll make you a custom diet plan for $8). I'm trying to get back into it bc it works for me due to my metabolism type.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    X5Gigi wrote: »
    Hi, you have bad information on keto. You don't need a severe calorie deficit at all. Here are some good websites, blogs etc.: Ruled.me; All Day I Dream About Food; I Breathe, I'm Hungry; DietDictor.com; Dr. Sarah Halberg; Eating Academy; Low Carb Dietician (Franziska Spritzler); LCHF Nation (they'll make you a custom diet plan for $8). I'm trying to get back into it bc it works for me due to my metabolism type.

Out of curiosity, what type of metabolism type do you think you have?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you won't lose weight any faster on Keto than with a standard macro split and 500 per day calorie deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

yea, no...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

your body burns the fat you consume as energy instead of the carbs. results dont mean they will be magnified either on keto. as for supplements to help with keto there's NO scientific proof they work.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I don't know where you read these supposed "rules" to keto... but they're not true.

The only rule of keto is to limit your carbohydrates to 20-50g (or about 5% carb macro) per day and eat lots of fat. Normal macros would be 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carb.

You can eat what you what, when you want, and how much you want. You can use keto to lose, gain or maintain.

You still need to track your calories to lose weight when following keto. The main bonus is that fat and protein tend to be a lot more filling than carbs, so you'll naturally eat less.

no you cant eat what you want when you want and how much you want. you have to watch carb intake(as well as calories) and if you want to lose weight you need a deficit,to gain a surplus and to maintain you need to take in the same amount of calories your body burns.keto is just a way of eating.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

no you cant eat what you want when you want and how much you want. you have to watch carb intake(as well as calories) and if you want to lose weight you need a deficit,to gain a surplus and to maintain you need to take in the same amount of calories your body burns.keto is just a way of eating.

Did you read what I said? Lol.