Fruit and sugar

Options
13»

Replies

• kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Chocolate sugar =bad....fruit sugar = not so bad was what I should have put but when I've just woken up my brain isn't fully functioning lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kellyfeb78 wrote: »
    Chocolate sugar =bad....fruit sugar = not so bad was what I should have put but when I've just woken up my brain isn't fully functioning lol

Sugar is sugar. Foods are different but the sugar in the foods is the same.
    Focus on your entire diet (noun) and what to include in it and the rest becomes far easier.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Sugar is sugar...
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    Yep I get that now and also did look on Google so will just cut back on my fruit intake
  • david_1988
    david_1988 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. Doesn't matter if its natural or added or which food it comes from.

If you think you're consuming too much, the solution is to eat less, not exclude things you eat from your logs.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My main goal is to not go over my calories and to hit the protein target which I can do now I've adjusted my eating habits but it's getting harder as my daily goal changes with weight loss that's when I started eating more fruit and found myself going over sugar goal

Eating lots of fruit can make it more difficult to hit protein on a low calorie target. (MFP's protein target on low calories can be too low, too.)

I wouldn't worry about the sugar target alone if it's mostly from fruit, but not because fruit sugar is qualitatively different, as it is not.

I think more fruit could lead to low protien, but not necessarily. I added a lot of fruit to my daily intake, I was craving sweets and carbs. I found it easy to get more than the rcommended amount of protien at 1200 calories a day.

Its possible to do it, even plus a lot of vegetables. Its the fat that suffered when I did this.
    Now I realize that a problem for me is over restricting and not allowing for my personal cravings. So if I want sweets, I might eat more fruit even if it seems excessive and still fits around my calorie goal. By day two, I find I'm less interested.
    Since I began to take notice of my psychological attatchment to some foods I make sure I satiate those cravings. Nuts do well if its fat, or whole fat yogurt for example. Fruit if its sweet tooth.

I got around 100 grams protien most days ( for my body weight that is almost twice what I need) when adding a lot of fruit. It just means noticing what other adjustments are necessary.
    I admit on 1200 calories something has to go, but by alternating every few days toward the foods that I like, its still doable to eat in a way that is satisfying and enjoyable. This makes me sure I can do this in the long term, its not just a faddy food regime.

And at maintenance levels, I'd say there should be no problem eating a lot of fruit. At least that is my experince when I maintaine.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

The body will break down the nutrients down to the lowest chemical level. The sugar from both will be broken down to glucose and will either be stored as glycogen (for energy use later), used immediately or stored as fat (if you are in a net surplus). The difference isn't the sugar, it's the accompanying nutrients. Fruit has fiber and a better micronutrient profile (which is why it's deemed healthier). These other nutrients would support health. Where chocolate doesn't have those nutrients and may be processed faster, if and only if, it's eaten in isolation.

Overall, both can be incorporated in a very solid diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My main goal is to not go over my calories and to hit the protein target which I can do now I've adjusted my eating habits but it's getting harder as my daily goal changes with weight loss that's when I started eating more fruit and found myself going over sugar goal

Eating lots of fruit can make it more difficult to hit protein on a low calorie target. (MFP's protein target on low calories can be too low, too.)

I wouldn't worry about the sugar target alone if it's mostly from fruit, but not because fruit sugar is qualitatively different, as it is not.

I think more fruit could lead to low protien, but not necessarily.

Yeah, agree, which is why I said it "can make it more difficult on a low calorie target." Not that it will. If someone (like OP) is wondering if fruit consumption is out of whack, looking at protein and healthy fats and vegetables is important. If you are replacing those more than you should be, then you are eating too much fruit.
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    I eat plenty of protein