Dieting vs. exercising?

Replies

• Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Wow, now you're telling me I assume everyone is stupid? You don't know a thing about me.
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    This is actually a "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" Forum. The entire mantra of calories in calories out being all that matters is potentially dangerous in itself. This thread isn't that bad, and it's probably not the one I should have gone off on, but I've been listening to it for days now. One thread I read a poster went so far as to tell someone they could eat absolutely anything they wanted, just don't go over calories, and everything will be just fine. No it won't. And you know what? That person may lose weight, but they won't be just fine.

I'm sorry, I'll leave you all be. I thought the goal was to help people achieve healthy sustainable weight loss, not weight loss at any cost.

The part you fail to understand is that for many people, especially the morbidly obese, just cutting calories by whatever means and getting some of the weight off will greatly improve their health markers. Google "Twinkie Diet" and read what the results in his bloodwork were after he lost weight on a diet comprised mostly of 'junk food'.

Most of the longtime, knowledgeable members here will always advise that it's good to have a well-rounded diet that includes adequate macro- and micronutrients. But for some people just starting out, it's advantageous enough to get them to reduce their calories and get on track, then refine it as they go along.

When you teach a kid how to drive a car, you don't put them on Indianapolis Speedway in a high-performance open wheel race car their first time out - you start off on quiet side streets in the family sedan. Start with the basics and work up to the more advanced stuff. When you start somebody on weight loss, CICO is the most important thing to know - they don't need a university-level course on macro and micronutrients, physiology and cellular biology to get started doing what they need to do.

[ETA:] I will agree, though, that there's plenty of bad advice given on MFP. Almost invariably by people who parrot what they've read in silly magazine articles or woo websites, and have no actual idea about even the most basic concepts of nutrition and/or physiology.

Very well said.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    Wow, now you're telling me I assume everyone is stupid? You don't know a thing about me.

I'd like to know whether you still have a problem with "eat what you want within your calorie limit".
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    I lost a bunch of weight without doing any more than walking my dog 2x a day. But when I do exercise hard I get more motivated and feel pretty great. It does have benefits.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Bit of both. Cut 200/300 calories. Move 30 minutes more! easy.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I've heard that if you reduce your caloric intake, your body goes into starvation mode (something like that) so you end up gaining weight instead of losing weight. Does anyone know if this is true? Do you have to exercise in order to lose weight?

Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss but it is essential for weight loss.

If you reduce your calorie intake by the amount MFP recommends there is no reason to be concerned about starvation, but it doesn't work the way you think.