Dieting vs. exercising?

Options

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I've heard that if you reduce your caloric intake, your body goes into starvation mode (something like that) so you end up gaining weight instead of losing weight. Does anyone know if this is true? Do you have to exercise in order to lose weight?

OP, sorry your thread got derailed :(

You don't have to exercise to lose weight but many people find its much easier if they do. And obviously exercise is good for you in other ways.

Starvation mode isn't a thing. It is possible if you eat at an aggressive deficit for a long period of time you can lower your BMR, but even that won't cause you to gain weight it would just make it harder to lose.

So don't over restrict and move when you can, and you'll be fine!

I'd just like to agree and add to this by saying, if your calorie deficit is too large like she said it's going to slow your metabolism, the old calories you were able to eat to maintain or even lose weight, will cause you now to gain weight. If you continually lower your calories/increase calorie burn as you hit plateau's, you will continue to lose weight, but your metabolism slows down and when it comes time to maintain once you hit your goal, it can be that much more difficult if your deficit is too large.

Also, I do agree that CICO is the most important part, but in his defense, its really not cut and dry. Yes, if you eat junk food all day (and I know that's not what you guys were proposing), you will lose weight, no doubt, you will also lose muscle and unless you have a fair amount of weight to lose, you will not lose as much fat as you were probably expecting. You body becomes extremely less efficient when it is not properly fueled. You can eat more food if your protein intake is higher, you can eat more food if your hormones are in check, you can eat more food if you exercise more, you can eat more food if you are getting all of the micronutrients. No one ever knows how many calories they are really expending, so to say that to just ensure that you are in a calorie deficit is difficult because you never really know how your body is operating.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    CICO is not everything, and it's dangerous to tell people that. I said it in other posts, if that were the case, I'd just eat three big macs a day and everything would be wonderful. What you put into your body does matter.

If that put you in a calorie deficit, you'd lose weight.

Weight loss, fat loss and health are different things.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    CICO is not everything, and it's dangerous to tell people that. I said it in other posts, if that were the case, I'd just eat three big macs a day and everything would be wonderful. What you put into your body does matter.

You'd need more fiber, some calcium and a multivitamin to live on that for any length of time, but a Big Mac in and of itself isn't exactly evil. Three of them a a day would be 1620 calories, 75g of protein, 29g of fat. 45g carbohydrate and 3g dietary fiber.

Vitamin wise, you'd do better on the Quarter Pounder with Cheese than the Big Mac.

Obviously eating only one thing repeatedly rather than a varied diet is not the best plan for anyone's health, but McDonald's can exist in a nutritionally complete diet if that's what someone wants.

Honestly vitamin wise, you'd do best with a Whopper w/ cheese. But yeah, certainly not the worst thing to eat... as long as you're not overeating.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    KylaBlaze wrote: »
    Yes it's true and yes you need to exercise if you want to continue to lose weight and tone.

If it's true, please explain why people suffering from anorexia don't end up obese.

Because their bodies are eating themselves to stay alive...
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options

This diet sounds amazing to me!
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options

You'd need more fiber, some calcium and a multivitamin to live on that for any length of time, but a Big Mac in and of itself isn't exactly evil. Three of them a a day would be 1620 calories, 75g of protein, 29g of fat. 45g carbohydrate and 3g dietary fiber.

Vitamin wise, you'd do better on the Quarter Pounder with Cheese than the Big Mac.

Obviously eating only one thing repeatedly rather than a varied diet is not the best plan for anyone's health, but McDonald's can exist in a nutritionally complete diet if that's what someone wants.

Honestly vitamin wise, you'd do best with a Whopper w/ cheese. But yeah, certainly not the worst thing to eat... as long as you're not overeating.

That's down to the Whopper having tomatoes and lettuce, though. Makes it more comparable to the Big N Tasty.

Either way, there's no inherent reason that a Burger King or McDonald's burger is nutritionally worse than the same ingredients prepared another way: as in a steak salad with cheese and a roll.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've heard that if you reduce your caloric intake, your body goes into starvation mode (something like that) so you end up gaining weight instead of losing weight. Does anyone know if this is true? Do you have to exercise in order to lose weight?

Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss but it is essential for weight loss.

If you reduce your calorie intake by the amount MFP recommends there is no reason to be concerned about starvation, but it doesn't work the way you think.

can you clarify?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight purely by dieting, by why would you just want to do it one dimensionally? Exercising is good for your cardiovascular system, will burn calories, and will result in a better body composition.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Wow, now you're telling me I assume everyone is stupid? You don't know a thing about me.

I'd like to know whether you still have a problem with "eat what you want within your calorie limit".

Well, my problem with "eat what you want within your calorie limit" is that these foods don't satiate me. Say I don't exercise and have 1500 calories to play with. That's one pint of Häagen-Dazs Chocolate Peanut Butter with 60 calories leftover. That won't get me through the day.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Trying to get back to the OP :smile:

"Starvation mode" is a very extreme situation, even anorexic people don't even get closer to REAL starvation mode. There is a broscience "Starvation mode" that should realy be defined as "stupid excuse for eating more and not to recognize it".

Strictly speaking, exercise is not needed, but always recommended for two main reasons:
    - Calories burned and properly counted can be eaten back. This helps a lot in a deficit
    - When losing weight, you loose fat AND muscle. Exercise helps in reducing muscle loss.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you reduce your caloric intake, your body goes into starvation mode (something like that) so you end up gaining weight instead of losing weight. Does anyone know if this is true?

No, it's not true.
    Do you have to exercise in order to lose weight?

You do not have to, but I'd strongly recommend it as good for health and fitness.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    CiaIgle wrote: »

"Starvation mode" is a very extreme situation, even anorexic people don't even get closer to REAL starvation mode. There is a broscience "Starvation mode" that should realy be defined as "stupid excuse for eating more and not to recognize it".

Strictly speaking, exercise is not needed, but always recommended for two main reasons:
    - Calories burned and properly counted can be eaten back. This helps a lot in a deficit
    - When losing weight, you loose fat AND muscle. Exercise helps in reducing muscle loss.

If you eat 1500 calories and have a 500 calorie deficit and do no exercise at all, are you saying that you will be hungrier than if you exercise to burn 300 calories and then eat 1800 thus having the same deficit?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    CICO is not everything, and it's dangerous to tell people that.

Why is it dangerous? Are you assuming they would act unreasonably and not care about nutrition. Understanding how weight loss works should not cause someone to eat a poor diet unless they for some reason want to (which is not my business, although I wouldn't recommend it).
    I said it in other posts, if that were the case, I'd just eat three big macs a day...

Why on earth would you do this? First of all, why would anyone want to eat just three big macs a day (I don't even like big macs). Second, what a boring diet. Third, why wouldn't you naturally care about nutrition?
  • powr69
    powr69 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I think may of us have heard that and believed it. It's proven false though, as many here have already discussed.

I'll go ahead and add my own anecdotal evidence to the discussion, I started MFP for the calorie tracking a few years ago, but it wasn't until last year I got serious about it. I went from weighing between 314 and 325 to weighing 274 at my last weigh in a few weeks ago, all by using CICO, tracking my calories, and having a little self control by applying economics to the worth of sweets and junk, calorie cost vs satiation and such. I've weaned myself mostly off of soda, don't drink as much milk as I used to and try to drink water mostly, even when i go out to eat.

I try to come in a bit under the daily caloric suggestion from MFP during the week to help me lose a little more than 2lbs. a week, and to bank up for any splurging I may do when going out with friends on the weekend. I don't do much exercise though for a bit I was going on walks and probably should get back into it as cardio is good, but I can't stand weight lifting, etc., so I don't. Eventually I will need to and I'll have to find a way to make it fun, or at least tolerable, but for now I am happy with the results I am seeing by watching my caloric intake.

As a by-product, I *do* eat better in general, mainly because you can eat a ton of veggies for little caloric gain and using the calorie tracker makes you aware of how pumped full of salt and carbs and other unnecessary *kitten* a lot of pre-made food is. I still eat plenty of meat and sweets, which I love, but in moderation. Keeps me happy, unlike a lot of the various diets out there would.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options

If you eat 1500 calories and have a 500 calorie deficit and do no exercise at all, are you saying that you will be hungrier than if you exercise to burn 300 calories and then eat 1800 thus having the same deficit?

Yes, even if that sound weird. It's more psychological and has to do with portion size.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options

Yes, even if that sound weird. It's more psychological and has to do with portion size.

Interesting. I have not found this to be the case for myself. I wonder if it is because I tend to eat one small meal and one large one.