Is my metabolism that screwed up?

Options
So my stats are 6'2 31 220lbs. Currently I'm eating around 2200 calories a day track everything by weighting them in grams. I hit then gym at least 5 days a week doing heavy lifting plus some type of cardio be it just getting on a machine or doing weight circuits. I should be losing weight according to this App but still just staying around 220lbs I've tried going lower in the sub 2000 cal range and still just stuck around 220. Going to give fasted training a shot now any other ideas to throw at the wall?

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    If you just started to exercise it can take up to a month untill the water weight drops and you see the scales moving. Don't worry. Fat is being lost.
    That said, depending on your everyday activity of course, maybe you can drop your calories to 2000?
    Do the same for a month and reassess after.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your calorie burns? and are you eating those calories back?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Bama1818 wrote: »
    So my stats are 6'2 31 220lbs. Currently I'm eating around 2200 calories a day track everything by weighting them in grams. I hit then gym at least 5 days a week doing heavy lifting plus some type of cardio be it just getting on a machine or doing weight circuits. I should be losing weight according to this App but still just staying around 220lbs I've tried going lower in the sub 2000 cal range and still just stuck around 220. Going to give fasted training a shot now any other ideas to throw at the wall?

IF the pictures are you, You
    1. have already lost a lot of weight
    2. are getting into the "last legs" of lean.

Cutting is going to be harder. 2200 may be too many calories. Or you may not be training as hard as you think.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to a normal BMI, it does slow down and get more difficult. I'm about 6lbs from goal, and I notice my weight is trending down, but very slowly with little spikes of gain in there. I actually started tweaking my calories down, I'm at about 1900 now and it helped
  • Bama1818
    Bama1818 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your calorie burns? and are you eating those calories back?

I don't count in the weight lifting. As for cardio I use a heart rate monitor then take the average BPM over the course of my work out
  • Bama1818
    Options

IF the pictures are you, You
    1. have already lost a lot of weight
    2. are getting into the "last legs" of lean.

Cutting is going to be harder. 2200 may be too many calories. Or you may not be training as hard as you think.

1. Thanks
    Guess I'll try and increase my training. I reduced to sub 2000 before and I literally felt like crap
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Given your stats, if you were sedentary, which you obviously are not, you would still be losing, albeit a little slowly. But 2200 is less than your TDEE if you were sedentary. Since you are not, you should be losing fat at a reasonable rate. I would guess that your burn rate is probably 3000 or more with your activity level.

If you are not retaining water, then chances are you might not be as tight on your intake measurements as you think.

I'm 5'11", 204 (down from 240), and 54 yo male. I average about 2200 calories in and about 3200 out as near as I can tell. I can't imagine your caloric needs and burn to be much different than mine. You haven't mentioned how long you've been "stuck", but if it's been 3 weeks or so, you're probably not really stuck at that weight.

You're on the right track and there is some good advice here on where to look if there really is a problem. Best of luck.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Actually, if the before picture is you, you might be able to maintain on fewer calories than the calculators suggest. Studies disagree about whether preserving lean mass helps prevent the "reduced obese" phenomenon, but it does exist - people who lost a lot of weight are found to burn fewer calories than people of the same (current) weight who were never obese.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Actually, if the before picture is you, you might be able to maintain on fewer calories than the calculators suggest. Studies disagree about whether preserving lean mass helps prevent the "reduced obese" phenomenon, but it does exist - people who lost a lot of weight are found to burn fewer calories than people of the same (current) weight who were never obese.

But THAT much? I'm 5'3", 113 pounds, and I lose on 2000 calories. I truly think, depending on how long he's been at this, he's being impatient or highly underestimating his food intake. I'm leaning toward the latter even though he says he weighs everything in grams. Do you have cheat days?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at 220 pounds with absolutely no scale l movement?
  • Bama1818
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »

But THAT much? I'm 5'3", 113 pounds, and I lose on 2000 calories. I truly think, depending on how long he's been at this, he's being impatient or highly underestimating his food intake. I'm leaning toward the latter even though he says he weighs everything in grams. Do you have cheat days?

If I cheat it's usually not a day. Maybe not even a meal more like a cheat item. Like this past Sunday for breakfast I had pancakes with my eggs and blueberries. As for weighing intake I've got so meticulous about it I'll take the scope from the protein powder put it on the scale zero it out then scope out the powder to be 36g as the label says is one serving.
  • Bama1818
    Options
    At 220 there is no way you maintain at 2000 calories. Your BMR would be greater than that.

You aren't tracking accurately or being patient enough.

I agree with the BMR all the ones I used to calculate it have me in the 2000 to 2500 range. Being as fat as I was I do have loose skin issues in areas that make it hard to determine how lean I possibly am when accounting for the LBM of the BMR equations
  • Bama1818
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Around a month, It moves up or down a few pounds but the average is staying at 220
  • Silentpadna
    Options

If I cheat it's usually not a day. Maybe not even a meal more like a cheat item. Like this past Sunday for breakfast I had pancakes with my eggs and blueberries. As for weighing intake I've got so meticulous about it I'll take the scope from the protein powder put it on the scale zero it out then scope out the powder to be 36g as the label says is one serving.

I doubt the pancakes are any big deal in the scheme of things. Do you have a heart rate monitor for your cardio workouts? Weight training doesn't burn a ton, but on the cardio side of things, that will give you a pretty good idea of your burns. I don't count anything for my strength exercises, but for cardio, my Fitbit does a pretty good job, both for steps, and for cardio workouts. Cross referencing those with some calculators, including VO2Max and heart rate types show the monitor tracks well. I've come to trust the Fitbit for measuring burn rates because my measured deficit appears to match my expected weight loss over the long term.

My weight loss has been relatively steady, with one hiccup very recently - looked like a water retention thing mostly. Are your cardio workouts intense? Do you know your average heart rate during those times? How many steps to you take in a given day?
  • Bama1818
    Options

I doubt the pancakes are any big deal in the scheme of things. Do you have a heart rate monitor for your cardio workouts? Weight training doesn't burn a ton, but on the cardio side of things, that will give you a pretty good idea of your burns. I don't count anything for my strength exercises, but for cardio, my Fitbit does a pretty good job, both for steps, and for cardio workouts. Cross referencing those with some calculators, including VO2Max and heart rate types show the monitor tracks well. I've come to trust the Fitbit for measuring burn rates because my measured deficit appears to match my expected weight loss over the long term.

My weight loss has been relatively steady, with one hiccup very recently - looked like a water retention thing mostly. Are your cardio workouts intense? Do you know your average heart rate during those times? How many steps to you take in a given day?

I had a Fit bit HR but it was smashed at work. While I had it I was hitting between 10k and 15k steps a day. As for heart rate I'll use a chest strap that connects to a watch then average it out for the session. Usually between 140-150 BPM is the average to be over 30-45 mins
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I would drop by 100 calories per day or 700 per week at this point. Stick with it faithfully for a month and then evaluate. I wouldn't change other factors at the same time though (exercise frequency, etc.) Changing multiple factors all at once makes it difficult/impossible to evaluate whether or not your calorie level is appropriate for your goal.
  • Silentpadna
    Options

I had a Fit bit HR but it was smashed at work. While I had it I was hitting between 10k and 15k steps a day. As for heart rate I'll use a chest strap that connects to a watch then average it out for the session. Usually between 140-150 BPM is the average to be over 30-45 mins

Your steps look about the same as mine. So does your cardio. Unless I missed something, you haven't mentioned how long you've been at 220? If you intake really is 2200, you ought to be losing fat at a reasonable rate, but if the time is relatively short, you probably are, but it's being masked by our inevitable fluctuations. If it's longer term, then I'd consider making adjustments, like down to 2000 or whatever makes things move again. Of course, you would have to give that some time too.....