Replies

• Bama1818
    Bama1818 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bama1818 wrote: »
    Maxematics wrote: »
    savithny wrote: »
    Actually, if the before picture is you, you might be able to maintain on fewer calories than the calculators suggest. Studies disagree about whether preserving lean mass helps prevent the "reduced obese" phenomenon, but it does exist - people who lost a lot of weight are found to burn fewer calories than people of the same (current) weight who were never obese.

But THAT much? I'm 5'3", 113 pounds, and I lose on 2000 calories. I truly think, depending on how long he's been at this, he's being impatient or highly underestimating his food intake. I'm leaning toward the latter even though he says he weighs everything in grams. Do you have cheat days?

If I cheat it's usually not a day. Maybe not even a meal more like a cheat item. Like this past Sunday for breakfast I had pancakes with my eggs and blueberries. As for weighing intake I've got so meticulous about it I'll take the scope from the protein powder put it on the scale zero it out then scope out the powder to be 36g as the label says is one serving.

I doubt the pancakes are any big deal in the scheme of things. Do you have a heart rate monitor for your cardio workouts? Weight training doesn't burn a ton, but on the cardio side of things, that will give you a pretty good idea of your burns. I don't count anything for my strength exercises, but for cardio, my Fitbit does a pretty good job, both for steps, and for cardio workouts. Cross referencing those with some calculators, including VO2Max and heart rate types show the monitor tracks well. I've come to trust the Fitbit for measuring burn rates because my measured deficit appears to match my expected weight loss over the long term.

My weight loss has been relatively steady, with one hiccup very recently - looked like a water retention thing mostly. Are your cardio workouts intense? Do you know your average heart rate during those times? How many steps to you take in a given day?

I had a Fit bit HR but it was smashed at work. While I had it I was hitting between 10k and 15k steps a day. As for heart rate I'll use a chest strap that connects to a watch then average it out for the session. Usually between 140-150 BPM is the average to be over 30-45 mins

Your steps look about the same as mine. So does your cardio. Unless I missed something, you haven't mentioned how long you've been at 220? If you intake really is 2200, you ought to be losing fat at a reasonable rate, but if the time is relatively short, you probably are, but it's being masked by our inevitable fluctuations. If it's longer term, then I'd consider making adjustments, like down to 2000 or whatever makes things move again. Of course, you would have to give that some time too.....

It's been about a month or so I say 220 as an average because it'll change maybe 218 one weigh in then 223 on the next.
  • Bama1818
    Options
    Actually, if the before picture is you, you might be able to maintain on fewer calories than the calculators suggest. Studies disagree about whether preserving lean mass helps prevent the "reduced obese" phenomenon, but it does exist - people who lost a lot of weight are found to burn fewer calories than people of the same (current) weight who were never obese.

But THAT much? I'm 5'3", 113 pounds, and I lose on 2000 calories. I truly think, depending on how long he's been at this, he's being impatient or highly underestimating his food intake. I'm leaning toward the latter even though he says he weighs everything in grams. Do you have cheat days?

If I cheat it's usually not a day. Maybe not even a meal more like a cheat item. Like this past Sunday for breakfast I had pancakes with my eggs and blueberries. As for weighing intake I've got so meticulous about it I'll take the scope from the protein powder put it on the scale zero it out then scope out the powder to be 36g as the label says is one serving.

I doubt the pancakes are any big deal in the scheme of things. Do you have a heart rate monitor for your cardio workouts? Weight training doesn't burn a ton, but on the cardio side of things, that will give you a pretty good idea of your burns. I don't count anything for my strength exercises, but for cardio, my Fitbit does a pretty good job, both for steps, and for cardio workouts. Cross referencing those with some calculators, including VO2Max and heart rate types show the monitor tracks well. I've come to trust the Fitbit for measuring burn rates because my measured deficit appears to match my expected weight loss over the long term.

My weight loss has been relatively steady, with one hiccup very recently - looked like a water retention thing mostly. Are your cardio workouts intense? Do you know your average heart rate during those times? How many steps to you take in a given day?

I had a Fit bit HR but it was smashed at work. While I had it I was hitting between 10k and 15k steps a day. As for heart rate I'll use a chest strap that connects to a watch then average it out for the session. Usually between 140-150 BPM is the average to be over 30-45 mins

Your steps look about the same as mine. So does your cardio. Unless I missed something, you haven't mentioned how long you've been at 220? If you intake really is 2200, you ought to be losing fat at a reasonable rate, but if the time is relatively short, you probably are, but it's being masked by our inevitable fluctuations. If it's longer term, then I'd consider making adjustments, like down to 2000 or whatever makes things move again. Of course, you would have to give that some time too.....

Any suggested macros for 2k? Was going to guess like 200p 150c then rest in fats
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    A few things you can try, one at a time or all at once
    -If it's only been 1 month, stay the course and stay as diligent for another month.
    -Drop 100 calories per day, taking you down to 2,100
    -Don't eat back cardio calories
    -Make sure you're measuring all oils. There are maybe a few items that are missing cooking-ingredients
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    Looking at your diary, your logging looks pretty consistent, particularly recently. Compared to your average over the 240 logged days prior, the last 28 days have fewer total calories consumed (2,200 vs 2,450), fat as a lower percentage of total calories (33% vs 36%, with the change split evenly between carbs and protein), and significantly more logged exercise (160 calories per day vs 50).

When I first went from zero cardio to regular cardio with basically no transition time, my giant spreadsheet actually showed that I got no additional net calorie burn from that exercise, even with a 90-day window to analyze. A combination of sloppier logging (oooh, brains are sneaky, tricksy things) and reduced non-exercise activity was enough to completely offset the calories burned by intentional exercise. So you may want to keep an eye out for that.

My personal guess is that you need patience more than an additional calorie cut. I'm 43 and 5'3 and when my weight is in the 150s, I maintain on 2,100 plus intentional exercise. My giant spreadsheet of doom calculates more or less month-by-month; some months imply (based on intake and scale change) that maintenance for me is as low as 1,850 or as high as 2,500, and I've even had a 3-month period where it looked like maintenance was 1,900. But I've got a 636 day span of data when my weight was relatively consistent, and across that entire period, 2,100 is the right number.

Wow, @allyphoe, you really like analysis, huh? That is awesome!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Wow, allyphoe, you really like analysis, huh? That is awesome!

Yes, yes, I do. :)

• Bama1818
    Options
    What would be a good BPM to calories burned calculator to use
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think. You are not as active as you think, You are retaining water from exercise. You are constipated. You aren't patient enough. You are expecting too much too soon.

Yep.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

There are several, but Shape Sense has some online. They are, like a lot of things, estimates, but they do disclose their formulas, so if you are spreadsheet savvy, you can plug them yourself. You can't really find VO2Max without a lab test, but they give you some different methods of approximation. For me, it turns out that each of their methods are very close to what Fitbit ends up with for cardio workouts, and for (very) brisk walks.

shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Any suggested macros for 2k? Was going to guess like 200p 150c then rest in fats

That's a personal thing for most people. I can only speak for me, but I basically shoot for 1g protein per pound of lean body mass (not my actual weight) - for me that's about 155g. I let the carbs and fat fall wherever they may, but I do not restrict fat content. Not worried about low-carb because I like my fruits and occasional treats too much. So I shoot for minimum protein and not worry about much else, other than calories of course. The only thing I mess with from time to time is fiber, mostly for regularity, not that I have ever been regular...ever.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

There are several, but Shape Sense has some online. They are, like a lot of things, estimates, but they do disclose their formulas, so if you are spreadsheet savvy, you can plug them yourself. You can't really find VO2Max without a lab test, but they give you some different methods of approximation. For me, it turns out that each of their methods are very close to what Fitbit ends up with for cardio workouts, and for (very) brisk walks.

shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml

I'm a little confused by this one. I plugged in the numbers for my current weight and an average three mile run for me (35 minutes/ ~165 average heart rate). I then adjusted to my starting weight, which was 20lbs higher, and the calories burned went down. I've always understood that you burn fewer calories as you lose weight, as you have less mass to move over the same time/distance. With all else being equal (hypothetically), why doesn't the gross calories burned go up as weight goes up?
  • hmbradley1965
    hmbradley1965 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So my stats are 6'2 31 220lbs. Currently I'm eating around 2200 calories a day track everything by weighting them in grams. I hit then gym at least 5 days a week doing heavy lifting plus some type of cardio be it just getting on a machine or doing weight circuits. I should be losing weight according to this App but still just staying around 220lbs I've tried going lower in the sub 2000 cal range and still just stuck around 220. Going to give fasted training a shot now any other ideas to throw at the wall?

I just got my resting metabolism done at my nutritionist office. She gave me my calories for the day and macros and come to find out that even though I clean for a living and never stop moving I have a slow metabolism I eat pretty well but she tweeked my diet and I have been following it perfectly and lost 3 pounds already. So if your not sure what your numbers should be most medical insurance covers it since it is preventative...
  • mtek94
    mtek94 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tl dr ; try fasted morning cardio tabata or hiit even a brisk walk and arvo heavy lifting, high intensity, if ur not getting results in afew weeks, its your diet, also recommend eatting your carbs before and after your workout
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    Looking at your diary, your logging looks pretty consistent, particularly recently. Compared to your average over the 240 logged days prior, the last 28 days have fewer total calories consumed (2,200 vs 2,450), fat as a lower percentage of total calories (33% vs 36%, with the change split evenly between carbs and protein), and significantly more logged exercise (160 calories per day vs 50).

When I first went from zero cardio to regular cardio with basically no transition time, my giant spreadsheet actually showed that I got no additional net calorie burn from that exercise, even with a 90-day window to analyze. A combination of sloppier logging (oooh, brains are sneaky, tricksy things) and reduced non-exercise activity was enough to completely offset the calories burned by intentional exercise. So you may want to keep an eye out for that.

My personal guess is that you need patience more than an additional calorie cut. I'm 43 and 5'3 and when my weight is in the 150s, I maintain on 2,100 plus intentional exercise. My giant spreadsheet of doom calculates more or less month-by-month; some months imply (based on intake and scale change) that maintenance for me is as low as 1,850 or as high as 2,500, and I've even had a 3-month period where it looked like maintenance was 1,900. But I've got a 636 day span of data when my weight was relatively consistent, and across that entire period, 2,100 is the right number.

Great post and analysis.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey folks,

I just split a whole bunch of debate out of this thread that had nothing to do with the OP. If you were part of that debate and wanted to continue it, check this thread out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10557835/finding-time-to-exercise/p2

I'd like to remind you that we have community guidelines. When someone posts a plea for help, lets try actually helping them. If you find yourself wanting to discuss something that ISN'T what the OP is about, start your own thread - otherwise, you may find yourself warned for violating community guidelines.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Happy freaking Sunday,
    Em
  • caloriemuse
    caloriemuse Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey Bama,
    Here would be my offerings. Our camerades above have also offered some good thoughts. Patience and changing things up here and there; decrease 100 cals a day, maybe introduce some HIIT sequences, no calorie eat back from exercise calories, etc...

On exercise calories and a diet: Yoni Freedhoff, this guy seems to have a pretty good story to tell in the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7FK8noIc5I
    The one thing that I'd like to see is what the supposed science is, the biochemistry behind the slow down. From the video, it seems like the most sensible explanation is that exercise induces your body to subsequently slow down energy expenditure; example you may without exercise burn your natural 2500 calories in energy in a day. Add exercise and although you burn 500 calories at that activity the body, following exercise, slows down its energy expenditure such that at the end of the day you are still right around the 2500. If there is any, and there is a question in the data if there is, the effective calorie deficit from exercise is probably in the single digits %'s.

On Fasting - if it suits you then go for it Yoni Freedhoff review of study on fasting as a diet process.
    http://www.weightymatters.ca/2017/05/new-study-suggests-if-anything-fasting.html
    Basic outcomes of this interesting approach were that there was no difference over the year-long study between intermittent fasting (BTW this means meal skipping not days without food) and calorie restriction.
    Probably the most interesting side note to this study was the drop out rate. The percentage of people that dropped out of the fasting intervention 38% and the restricting intervention was 29%.