What got you motivated to loose weight?

Options

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Realizing that I would have to put on more weight to gain muscle. Had to loose some pounds before I put them on.

Also, learning that bodyfat % has more to do with how I look than the exercise that I do. Lower BF% means loosing fat (read: not scrictly necessarily weight).
  • karen8873
    karen8873 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Divorcing my ex husband motivated me to lose it 8 years ago ! Now feeling good about myself and staying healthy for me and my family motivates me to keep it off !!!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Lose not loose. Sorry but it irritates me !

I'm sure you spell everything perfect. I guess that allows you to throw the first stone. Try being kind and just answering the OP questions.

RIGHT!
    What got me motivated? my daughter had "the surgery" and I wasn't gonna be left behind.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My motivation comes from me, I make it happen.

Years of being unhappy and unhealthy was enough. I get inspired by many things, especially my peeps here on MFP. But motivation to get up and workout, well that really has to be up to me. I now love seeing progress in my fitness level, that's super motivating.
    Gotta just do it!

Good luck :happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Em2je05
    Em2je05 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My ex-boyfriend told me that I never was motivated to loose weight and that I didn't even try but complained. It was true...so I took that and used it to my advantage. 1 year later he textes me and says how great I am doing with my weight loss and how good I look.

**Yupp buddy, your missing this girl!!**
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Funny story................there are many factors that got me motivated to get back into a healthy weight.

First, I had a co-worker that had a heart attack....that scared me, seriously.

Second, girls will make you do some crazy things. Back in November, I got dumped. Now, she is not a bad person and we still talk alot, however, at that time it made me angry, frustrated me, to the point that I was pissed, mainly at my self. I took all that anger and frustration and aimed it at loosing weight. I officially started on December 4, 2013, gathered all the knowledge I had on weight loss and went for it, the rest is history!!!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I had insomnia for years, and my doctor promised that I would sleep better if I exercised regularly. Once I started doing that, I realized you can't really get a good quality workout after eating burritos and pizza, so I started eating healthier and the pounds started dropping.

That was my motivation to start, but my motivation to KEEP GOING changes frequently...basically daily.
  • shawnmsaunders
    shawnmsaunders Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Motivation for me - is a long and slow process. It takes me a few months of firing up the engines before I take off ... Just take small steps in the right direction - and eventually you will pass "go" ... and shred the weight.

I always start with small changes - one each week ... 1) drop liquid calories 2) drop bread/rice/potatoes 3)drop eating out at restaurants (except once a week) ... and then I get my lazy, stubborn *kitten* back to the gym ... because no matter how many changes you make ... none of them will sustain them better than the gym. Nothing will make you feel guilty for eating crap - like the gym.
  • chelc1105
    chelc1105 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My motivation was a series of things.
    First off I am tired of hiding in a hooded sweatshirt because nothing fits me properly.
    I am tired of crying over going clothes shopping.
    I am tired of not wanting to go anywhere because nothing fits me.
    I am tired of coasting through life on the couch.
    I am tired of looking at old photos.
    I want to show people I can do this - i deserve to feel good
    I am tired of people not taking me seriously because my self confidence is in the tank because of my appearance.
    A big thing as well is I eventually would like children - my husband cannot have children (Luekemia when he was 7) so we have a lot of obstacles to jump through. With the option we chose... If i get pregnant I want to be the healthiest I can be for my child.
    All of this is motivation for me.
  • TLCorsini
    TLCorsini Posts: 78
    Options
    At first it was seeing photo's of me compared to old photo's and it's just sad. NOW I want to get healthy because I suffered a miscarriage (not weight related) and I realized I wanted children in a few years, and Prego bellies look a lot cuter on healthy sized people.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    For me it was seeing 26 stone 9 pounds on the scale (373 pounds) and being about 5 stone (70 pounds) heavier than I thought I was.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    lose
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options
    What motivated me? The fact that on a "good day" i looked like this a year ago...
    tumblr_mqi5j97KVH1stqme0o1_500.jpg
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I spent the entire summer last year feeling fat and miserable. In January I knew I had a good amount of time to get results so I got started. That's what motivated me at first. Then a few people I know had some serious health scares. That motivated me to help not just me but my family make changes, make healthier choices, be more active, eat less sugar and junk.

I feel so much better this summer.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you spell everything perfect. I guess that allows you to throw the first stone. Try being kind and just answering the OP questions.

Perhaps OP has been spelling it incorrectly all this time and no one has ever pointed this out. Maybe OP would like to use the proper word in the future and is appreciative of the mild correction that, by the way, came with a preemptive apology for the correction. What's so bad about expecting some precision when it comes to the written word?

My initial motivation, OP, came about when I was running around with my kid and I got winded after only a few minutes of play. I keep myself motivated by making mini-goals and working toward their completion. Nothing satisfies me as much as checking something off a list. Tacked another half mile to my daily run? Check. Increased my pace by half a minute? Check. Crammed an extra snack into those 1600 calories? Check. Down 35 pounds? Check. 40 pounds? Check. 45 pounds? Not yet...
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options
    My motivation comes from me, I make it happen.

Years of being unhappy and unhealthy was enough. I get inspired by many things, especially my peeps here on MFP. But motivation to get up and workout, well that really has to be up to me. I now love seeing progress in my fitness level, that's super motivating.
    Gotta just do it!

Good luck :happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

^THIS! I motivate myself. You gotta be ready to do it, and not be lazy/ half arsed. I am not saying you are, just making a general statement that it IS hardwork and you have to be 100% dedicated, motivated and ready to make a change for LIFE.

Good luck.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    wanting to look good.. to be in better health and not just sit on my *kitten* all day every day. what gave me a really good kick was seeing someone I felt jealousy towards showing off her flat tummy.. lol.
  • Anasye
    Anasye Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had some 1yr old boots that I couldn't zip up because my calves were too big. Also I ride horses and I noticed I was rubbing holes in the crotch of my jeans so I switched to riding pants. After I stopped riding in my jeans I was still rubbing holes in them and could no longer blame the saddle friction.:embarassed: lol I decided to join a gym and change my eating habbits for good.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    my mom telling me I gained weight after getting back from a work training session in Newfoundland... saw a picture and almost died!

FAT FACE :P
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    the looming spectre of diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure.