What got you motivated to loose weight?

Options

Replies

• g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My motivation was seeing friends of mine on Facebook that I went to high school with losing weight and looking fantastic. Most all of them are mothers, too, which told me that this was completely possible!

Also - when I tried on my "fat jeans" one day and I could barely zip them, I refused to go up another size and said enough was enough.
  • LRunda
    LRunda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The birth of my second son. What's kept me motivated is my husband. We've been losing weight together. Now I want to go further than I've gone in the past 10 years and get to my high school weight again. It's been 10 years, but I'm more than half way there now. Yippee!
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    The mirror got me started. Divorce helped a great deal.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Chest Pains
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Crying in a fitting room after seeing a 3-way full length view of myself.
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am really bad about staying on track.

So motivation isn't as important for me as grocery shopping and removing tempting foods from my house!

I like it when I weigh less! That is a mini victory, but I also like to make sure my body keeps doing it's normal things. So if something is working, but my body starts not doing normal things.... time to re-evaluate.

My current motivation is I am almost to my mini-goal weight. Once I weigh 158lbs I will only be overweight, not obese. That is what is driving me right now, to drop those last few pounds to be only overweight. Then I will yoyo around for a little while, until I think HEY! I can get to my gw of 145lbs.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I got sick with gall bladder issues. It took six months to get diagnosed. I started eating heatlhier so because high fat meals are bad for the gall bladder. My fiancee and I were getting healthier together. Then he died suddenly of a heart attack. That was a very sad, scary time. I kept saying 'but he just lost 25lbs!". So after that, I had depression, it was hard to eat.

Out of the blue, I met a new guy. He was great and accepted me for who I am. My weight loss stalled. I didn't gain anything (thank God!), but I didn't lose anything either. Then, he broke it off with me to go back to his last girlfriend. I was devastated.

Now my weight loss is motivated by two things....honoring the memory of my fiancee. He would want me to continue on the path to being healthy, it was something we wanted for each other, I have to keep going. And the other thing is the revenge factor for the ex-boyfriend. I want his jaw to drop the next time he sees me.

I think that whatever gets me through the tough year I've had is good motivation. It helps to have the weight loss to focus on, helps me through the days and through the nights where I want to eat because I'm lonely or sad. I'm down 50lbs since last October!!! I hope to keep going.
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Being told by Dr. to join MFP and loose some weight because of Diabetes. Setting small goals keeps me going. 2 lbs to go and I will be under 200 lbs.:drinker:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    What got me motivated was that I had planned on getting WLS .

So I stopped drinking soda on June 3rd in preparation ,knowing that if I can't stop before the surgery then there was no way I could get the surgery . I had not planned on trying to eat healthy at all ,but that's what happened. I kept thinking to myself Oh My God ! I want to cut my stomach out ! As I served my food I ate better and less than I did before . I started exercising and about a week later an aquaintence of mine turned me on to MFP . I still think about that every once in a while though (That I was going to cut my stomach out because I was so unhappy about my weight) It keeps me grounded.
    I like my stomach right where it is.....

Amy

Amy,

Wow this is great.
    I have several friends who have had reduction or lap bands, they still have to stop all the bad habits to see good results.

If you have to diet and exercise anyway why spend up to $60,000? You can buy a LOT of healthy food and gym memberships for that kind of money. Some people get that covered by insurance but if you only get part paid, yeah you can spend that much or more. And there are plenty of people who gain it all back even after getting stomach reduction done. One of my friends not only gained back what she lost, wasn't that much, but she loved cookies more than herself, plus an extra 50 lbs to boot.

This is why I am on this web site and my iPhone is living in my hand these days so I can track everything, diet and exercise. I want to retire next year and I want to be able to walk on a safari in Africa and tour the museums in Russia and backpack part of the great wall in China. (Don't get me wrong, I haven't missed out on similar adventures throughout my life, those are just still on the 'to do" list. I have always loved to travel and explore.) I've worked hard to save the money to do all that but I need a body that can do it as well.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This was my reason as well!
  • xxhawk68xx
    xxhawk68xx Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Blood clots in both lungs and a family that i wanna grow old with!
  • rich_7887
    rich_7887 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Started to get high blood pressure. Want to grow old with my beautiful wife and family.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    my aching feet!
  • kklotay
    kklotay Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroid after the birth of my first child. I kept gaining weight and after my third child I was at 173 lbs. I accepted the fact that being overweight is inevitable with thyroid issue.

Three children and complete lack of energy in the later part of the day was messing up my life. I decided to join gym. While registering, they offered me discount on personal training and nutrition plan. I explained to the trainer that I know I couldn' t lose weight, but I do need to gain some energy. He told me that I could lose weight despite the fact that I had hypothyroid. That just got me going.

However, for the nutriiton plan, on a small yellow sticky note, he wrote down the number of calories, and carb, protien and fat ratio for me. He also asked me to eat 6 times a day. For a little while, I felt I was ripped off. However, I was determined to make a change. I made a journal of my food intake using Excel. I made a small database of nutritonal information of foods that I was normally eating using package labels, by searching on Google, by calculating my recipes, etc.

Within first couple of weeks, I saw it working as my scale was moving backwards. That just kept me motivated. Within a year, I went down to 138 lbs.

I do get sidetracked here and there and the weight goes up and down by 6-8 lbs, but so far I am able to maintain it pretty well.
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    When I looked at the scale and realized that I would hit 300 pounds if I didn't do something. I guess the light bulb didn't go off before that because I wasn't physically uncomfortable. Heading for onederland and do not intend to ever leave there :)
  • caskettfan
    caskettfan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My nephews
  • rich_7887
    rich_7887 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Started to get high blood pressure. Want to grow old with my beautiful wife and family.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My friends challenge me who got the best body and they always tease me ugly and fatty
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    seeing the number "246" on the scale... I thought, wow, that's pretty much 250 pounds... that's a lot of weight... so I decided to lose it!
  • tanyamorin92708
    tanyamorin92708 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing...:happy: