What can I eat at the movie theater?

Options

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I very rarely buy anything at the movies. I think the food and drink prices are absolutely insane (also the movie tickets themselves) and not worth it. I'm not a cheap or thrifty person. Personally, I'd get popcorn if I had to or wanted to get something. If I go to the movies, it's almost always after dinner so I'm not hungry. There's a really good bakery a block from the theatre where I usually go so sometimes I'll get a cupcake from there and bring it in.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Lawd some fun people in this thread. Eat what you want. I love movie concessions and I tend to get the motherload.

Yeah...that's what I was going to say.

Concessions are part of the whole movie going experience ever since I was a kid. I go to the movies maybe 2-3x per year, so it's really not that big of a deal.

I'm going to a baseball game with my kids this afternoon...likely will be the only game we go to this season...I'm eating all the nachos and hot dogs and drinking beer...

Same here! :drinker:
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want. It's one night. I don't eat at theaters because that's my preference. I don't freak out about what I eat on date night. They are rare with 4 kids.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat during the movie because, as others have said, it's only two hours, and I'll often have a meal just before or planned for just after, anyway.

However, I am mindful of what estherdragonbat said about theaters relying on concessions, and will often look for something worth eating (that is, something where the taste and/or nutritional benefits justify the calories and, quite frankly, the stupendously high "captive-audience" pricing). At most chain theaters, I end up buying a box of Raisinets, although there's one chain that has decent jalapeno poppers. I would get a diet soda if they sold something in the 12 to 16 oz range for $2 or less (which would still be a very profitable price for a fountain soda), but I'm not interested in paying $4 for something that's more than twice the size I want, so that if I absentmindedly drink the whole thing during the first reel, I'm going to have to miss part of the last reel running to the bathroom.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    They sell kid packs which are popcorn at a more reasonable size with a water or soda and a tiny usually gummy candy. Kid packs are excellent
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    They sell kid packs which are popcorn at a more reasonable size with a water or soda and a tiny usually gummy candy. Kid packs are excellent

I agree the kids pack rocks.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat during the movie because, as others have said, it's only two hours, and I'll often have a meal just before or planned for just after, anyway.

That's me too. It's either just after or just before (ideally this, since if the movie is after I'm more likely to fall asleep, I'm old, LOL), so I don't want to eat. I also like popcorn at home more than movie popcorn and popcorn is the only thing I've ever actually eaten during a movie since childhood. Doing lots of candy and stuff was never a custom at my house.

Given the cost of movies, at least where I am, I don't worry too much about concessions for that reason, but I overpay for my diet coke anyway. ;-)
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I always bring my own water and do indulge in popcorn, but plan my macros around it. I do the same whenever I'm eating out. Sometimes I will bring in a few pieces of hard candy too.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    How about nothing?
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Quick PSA re: sneaking food into the theater.

Please don't toss your snuck in food trash in the theatre trashcans. It absolutely gets folks fired if management finds it.

You may now about your regularly scheduled program.
  • Denisse075
    Denisse075 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I pop a 100 cal bag at home and ziplock it and bring it with me, I get Diet coke there. I have brought sliced apple and cheese stick in a baggie before or just drank my diet coke by itself....
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Lawd some fun people in this thread. Eat what you want. I love movie concessions and I tend to get the motherload.

Yeah...that's what I was going to say.

Concessions are part of the whole movie going experience ever since I was a kid. I go to the movies maybe 2-3x per year, so it's really not that big of a deal.

Same here! :drinker:

I used to think the same way, but then I moved to Australia and apparently it isn't really a thing here. So I've been going to movies with nothing more than a bottle of water or diet soft drink.

They do have the concessions, but they are so incredibly expensive that very few people buy anything.

Also people tend to dress up a bit more for movies here. I went to my first movie in Australia wearing trackies ... and was seriously under dressed.

Or maybe it is just the theatres in my area.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero and Sour Patch Kids.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I am also going to an AMC movie tonight! I plan on getting a small popcorn and exercising it off afterwards. A once in a while treat won't kill me.

The kid packet is a great idea though, I may get that instead!
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Going to the movies tonight and am trying to think of what the best (or least awful) snack would be to have there. Ideas? It's a regular AMC chain.

Why do you need to eat anything at the movie theatre?

Bring a bottle of water or diet soft drink if you figure you'll feel a bit dry after an hour or so.

Yeah I don't get this either. I love the movies because it's 2 hours during which I'm busy and not thinking about food, actually... (besides I don't enjoy my food half as much if I'm just mindlessly eating it in front of a movie, so it's a waste of calories).

Add me to the list. My suggestion for snacks at the movies is ... no snacks. It's only a couple of hours.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of the food, but my advice is if you're going to get candy, you might as well buy it from Target or a convenience store. They're so unnecessarily expensive at the theater!