What do you all think is the best way to lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Best answer is something you can live with for the rest of your life. This is why most crash diets fail. You must find things that work for you personally. Still as stated here several times you must find exercise you like and will continue to do and eat at a deficit. Once you reach your goal weight you continue doing things the same way with more calories added back. Never mind the quick fix, there is no magic.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    A small deficit, physical activity you enjoy, patience and consistency.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    So, giving you more than the basics. You need to consider several things: Discipline, lower calories, more nutrients, understanding your body, and creating goals that will help improve overall health and not just weight.

Step one: Decide to understand why you gained weight in the first place; understand what it was and what it is that haunts you.

Step two: Let that pain go.

Step Three: Find a way to improve your good habits and decrease your bad habits. I use (habitica.com) which is a nerdy site, but it works. They're apps similar that are less nerdy.

Step Four: Leave affirmations around the house where you can see them. My favorite place is on the fridge or near it.

Step Five: Read the affirmations ever day.

Step Six: It's not EAT LESS, It's eat lower calories. Don't starve yourself, this will just put your body into starvation mode, and sure you'll lose weight for awhile, but once you start eating properly again you will gain the weight back. You need to take whatever you daily calorie intake is (at a caloric def) and whatever exercise you do and make sure you eat that. For example my calorie def is 1800 calories based on my lifestyle, weight, height, gender(hormones), etc. I exercise like 5 days a week, sometimes six. It takes time to find what works for you. Depending on how much you weight I recommend walking, outside (because vit. D), until you get down to a weight where you can start doing HIIT or Calisthenics. Then once you get to an even lower weight don't discount weight training (seriously, if you don't put on muscle your loose skin can be way worse, and you will still be "fat" just skinny fat, as in High BF%. Your body needs muscles in order to protect your organs and bones, and help with range of motion.

Whatever exercise you do, make sure you calculate the calories burned - and since you're already eating at a Caloric Def, eat those calories back. So I eat like 1800-2800 calories depending on the work outs I do. (that's daily intake). Weight loss comes down to basically calories in versus calories out. But that is just the simple formula. If you are just beginning - understanding this information can be difficult.

Now whether you count MACROS or Calories is up to you. I count both. This is where I come in saying eat less calories but more foods, so lower calorie foods. It is absolutely important that you never allow your body to be hungry, and it is important to understand the difference between hunger and cravings. It may also help you to get on a eating plan. My Significant other and I meal prep on Sundays. We prep lunches for the week because that is our busiest time of day (we work from home). This helps because instead of microwave meals we have home cooked and healthy meals but we also don't have to cook them - we just microwave them, so they are like microwave meals but way better. We also take turns in snack making, and dinner making.

Step Seven: understanding what works for you, and understanding all advice is based on experience of the individual. This means High carb may work for you, even though for me it doesn't. Veganism may work for you, but for me it doesn't. I eat high fat/protein diet because I have a carb allergy. If you are pre-diabetic you may want to cut on your carbs anyway because the sugars in carbs can mess up your insulin levels.

Step Eight: Listen to your body, if you're in pain during a work out take a five-minute break. If you are full, stop eating (no matter how much food is on your plate still).

Step Nine: The contradiction - Tell your body no! You don't need sweets, you don't need soda pop, you don't need sweet tea, you don't need fast food. You have to understand again, there is a difference between hunger and cravings.

Step Ten: Drink more water, and start drinking Green Tea (I brew mine at home - cold brew style, and add half a tsp of sugar or honey in). Green Tea with caffeine is preference, but you can use decaf if you have any issues with caffeine. Green tea is hydrating, and great for your metabolism. Water makes up a large portion of your body and you really need it to survive, put a little lemon in it if it's hard for you to drink - then slowly use less lemon as time goes by until you're drinking regular water. I also recommend High Vitamin MIO - they have a bunch of flavors that come chalk full of B12 and other B vitamins, things your body really needs.

Bonus stuff:

Get a fitbit or something similar, My sig. other and I are ordering Garmen.(I think that's the name.) It is important to not only track your activity and sleep patterns, but super important to track your heart rate at all times. Being over 180BPM when you are severely overweight can really help you get into that calorie burn sweet spot. However, that BPM number changes per individual and I recommend you see your Primary care physician if you have one or can afford it, and have them track your blood pressure, insulin levels, hormone levels, and let you know where your heart rate should be.

I have a very active lifestyle, but was on bedrest for over 6 months for my disability (put on 60+lbs) and my normal blood pressure is 72/65 and I used to really enjoy the look on doctor's faces when they asked if I worked out regularly. It's a pleasant feeling. But this has gone up a bit since. I am a certified Medical Assistant with a Healthcare Science degree and I used to work in a health and wellness rehab center for people with obesity and other back related issues. We also had a pain management center and chiropractor. Due to my disability I just can't handle the long days on my feet anymore and had to retire from my career (I'm only 27, so i was pretty bummed.) I am a freelance designer now, which I enjoy just as well, income just isn't as good - but I do have a lot more free time to work on my own body, which is nice (by free time I mean I make time.)

Vitamins I recommend taking:

magnesium
    Potassium
    B12
    B-Complex w/ Inositol
    Vit. D
    Omega-3

I also recommend using a multi vitamin and the b-complex w/ inositol only if you can. I have a shellfish allergy and havent found a multivitamin without shellfish in it yet.

Here is what a basic grocery list I made looks like:

Grocery List (Non-vegan/vegetarian)
    PROTEIN:
     Chicken breast
     Tuna
     Cod
     90% lean beef
     Turkey (lean ground or tenderloin)  Salmon
     Tilapia
     Chicken or turkey sausage
     Eggs
     Steak/strip steak
     Lamb
     Greek yogurt
     Whole fat yogurt
     Peanut butter
     Cottage cheese
     Cheeses
     Legumes (black beans, pinto beans, lentils)  Protein powders
    Complex Carbs & Fibers:
     Apples
     Oranges
     Bananas
     Mangos
     Papaya
     Whole grains  Oats
     Sweet potatoes
     Whole wheat pasta
     Vegetable pasta
     Whole wheat pancake mix  Oatmeal pancake mix

 Bran cereal
     Cream of wheat
     Grits
     Corn flakes
     Spinach (also a veggie)
     Kidney beans (also a protein)  Chick peas (also a protein)
     Seeds
     Brown rice
     Lentils (also a protein)
     Barley
     Quinoa (Keen-Wah)
    Fats & Cholesterols:
     Milk
     Mayonnaise
     Coconut oil
     Olive oil
     Whole milk cheese
     Egg yolks
     Avocado
     Unsalted butter (100% butter not margarine)  Cream (heavy whipping cream)
     Nuts
    Greens:
     Kale
     Spinach
     Collards
     Bok choy
     Broccoli
     Mustard greens
    Vegetables:

 Pumpkin
     Zucchini
     Squash
     Soy beans
     Snap peas
     Lemon
     Bell peppers
     Brussels sprouts  Cauliflower
     Cabbage (green and purple)  Carrots
     String beans
     Ginger root
     Cucumber
     Tomato (technically a fruit)
    Fruits:
     Banana
     Tomato
     Blueberries (frozen is fine)
     Mango (frozen is fine)
     Pineapple (frozen is fine)
     Coconut (coconut water is fine)  Strawberries (frozen is fine)
     Peaches (frozen is fine)
    Spices:
     Clove
     Cilantro
     Cayenne
     Thyme
     Basil
     Rosemary
     Peppermint  Cinnamon

 Turmeric
     Chili powder
     Paprika
     Salt
     Ground black pepper
     Minced garlic or whole garlic  Onions
     Lemon pepper
     Oregano
     Jalapenos
     Siracha sauce
    DRINKS:
     Coffee
     Herbal teas
     Water (and lots of it)
     Coconut water
     Soy milk
     Almond milk
     Coconut milk
     Milk
     Orange juice or Apple juice (this is for smoothies)
    Sugars should be used as sugar in the raw or stevia. If you need sugar for coffee or tea you should limit yourself to 1 teaspoon per drink and calculate those sugars in your calories for the day.

Remember Abs start in the kitchen. And this is just a basic grocery list. I also have a break down list of what foods have what vitamins and minerals and what you need regularly, if you'd like just message me.

Don't buy into companies that sell you prepackaged meals, don't buy into slimfast or other meal replacement shakes - make your own, that way you have more control.

I do this on 50$ a week for two people (25$ each a week). So this is all available on a diet.

Just keep going, and remember why you started.

-Jonas

Holy Moly!! Most of this not necessary. And I can't imagine why in the world you would need to know someone else's shopping list. Though I must admit I'd like to see prices added to those items because I fine it very difficult to believe anyone anywhere can purchase all that for $25 or $50.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So, giving you more than the basics. You need to consider several things: Discipline, lower calories, more nutrients, understanding your body, and creating goals that will help improve overall health and not just weight.

Step one: Decide to understand why you gained weight in the first place; understand what it was and what it is that haunts you.

Step two: Let that pain go.

Step Three: Find a way to improve your good habits and decrease your bad habits. I use (habitica.com) which is a nerdy site, but it works. They're apps similar that are less nerdy.

Step Four: Leave affirmations around the house where you can see them. My favorite place is on the fridge or near it.

Step Five: Read the affirmations ever day.

Step Six: It's not EAT LESS, It's eat lower calories. Don't starve yourself, this will just put your body into starvation mode, and sure you'll lose weight for awhile, but once you start eating properly again you will gain the weight back. You need to take whatever you daily calorie intake is (at a caloric def) and whatever exercise you do and make sure you eat that. For example my calorie def is 1800 calories based on my lifestyle, weight, height, gender(hormones), etc. I exercise like 5 days a week, sometimes six. It takes time to find what works for you. Depending on how much you weight I recommend walking, outside (because vit. D), until you get down to a weight where you can start doing HIIT or Calisthenics. Then once you get to an even lower weight don't discount weight training (seriously, if you don't put on muscle your loose skin can be way worse, and you will still be "fat" just skinny fat, as in High BF%. Your body needs muscles in order to protect your organs and bones, and help with range of motion.

Whatever exercise you do, make sure you calculate the calories burned - and since you're already eating at a Caloric Def, eat those calories back. So I eat like 1800-2800 calories depending on the work outs I do. (that's daily intake). Weight loss comes down to basically calories in versus calories out. But that is just the simple formula. If you are just beginning - understanding this information can be difficult.

Now whether you count MACROS or Calories is up to you. I count both. This is where I come in saying eat less calories but more foods, so lower calorie foods. It is absolutely important that you never allow your body to be hungry, and it is important to understand the difference between hunger and cravings. It may also help you to get on a eating plan. My Significant other and I meal prep on Sundays. We prep lunches for the week because that is our busiest time of day (we work from home). This helps because instead of microwave meals we have home cooked and healthy meals but we also don't have to cook them - we just microwave them, so they are like microwave meals but way better. We also take turns in snack making, and dinner making.

Step Seven: understanding what works for you, and understanding all advice is based on experience of the individual. This means High carb may work for you, even though for me it doesn't. Veganism may work for you, but for me it doesn't. I eat high fat/protein diet because I have a carb allergy. If you are pre-diabetic you may want to cut on your carbs anyway because the sugars in carbs can mess up your insulin levels.

Step Eight: Listen to your body, if you're in pain during a work out take a five-minute break. If you are full, stop eating (no matter how much food is on your plate still).

Step Nine: The contradiction - Tell your body no! You don't need sweets, you don't need soda pop, you don't need sweet tea, you don't need fast food. You have to understand again, there is a difference between hunger and cravings.

Step Ten: Drink more water, and start drinking Green Tea (I brew mine at home - cold brew style, and add half a tsp of sugar or honey in). Green Tea with caffeine is preference, but you can use decaf if you have any issues with caffeine. Green tea is hydrating, and great for your metabolism. Water makes up a large portion of your body and you really need it to survive, put a little lemon in it if it's hard for you to drink - then slowly use less lemon as time goes by until you're drinking regular water. I also recommend High Vitamin MIO - they have a bunch of flavors that come chalk full of B12 and other B vitamins, things your body really needs.

Bonus stuff:

Get a fitbit or something similar, My sig. other and I are ordering Garmen.(I think that's the name.) It is important to not only track your activity and sleep patterns, but super important to track your heart rate at all times. Being over 180BPM when you are severely overweight can really help you get into that calorie burn sweet spot. However, that BPM number changes per individual and I recommend you see your Primary care physician if you have one or can afford it, and have them track your blood pressure, insulin levels, hormone levels, and let you know where your heart rate should be.

I have a very active lifestyle, but was on bedrest for over 6 months for my disability (put on 60+lbs) and my normal blood pressure is 72/65 and I used to really enjoy the look on doctor's faces when they asked if I worked out regularly. It's a pleasant feeling. But this has gone up a bit since. I am a certified Medical Assistant with a Healthcare Science degree and I used to work in a health and wellness rehab center for people with obesity and other back related issues. We also had a pain management center and chiropractor. Due to my disability I just can't handle the long days on my feet anymore and had to retire from my career (I'm only 27, so i was pretty bummed.) I am a freelance designer now, which I enjoy just as well, income just isn't as good - but I do have a lot more free time to work on my own body, which is nice (by free time I mean I make time.)

Vitamins I recommend taking:

magnesium
    Potassium
    B12
    B-Complex w/ Inositol
    Vit. D
    Omega-3

I also recommend using a multi vitamin and the b-complex w/ inositol only if you can. I have a shellfish allergy and havent found a multivitamin without shellfish in it yet.

Here is what a basic grocery list I made looks like:

Grocery List (Non-vegan/vegetarian)
    PROTEIN:
     Chicken breast
     Tuna
     Cod
     90% lean beef
     Turkey (lean ground or tenderloin)  Salmon
     Tilapia
     Chicken or turkey sausage
     Eggs
     Steak/strip steak
     Lamb
     Greek yogurt
     Whole fat yogurt
     Peanut butter
     Cottage cheese
     Cheeses
     Legumes (black beans, pinto beans, lentils)  Protein powders
    Complex Carbs & Fibers:
     Apples
     Oranges
     Bananas
     Mangos
     Papaya
     Whole grains  Oats
     Sweet potatoes
     Whole wheat pasta
     Vegetable pasta
     Whole wheat pancake mix  Oatmeal pancake mix

 Bran cereal
     Cream of wheat
     Grits
     Corn flakes
     Spinach (also a veggie)
     Kidney beans (also a protein)  Chick peas (also a protein)
     Seeds
     Brown rice
     Lentils (also a protein)
     Barley
     Quinoa (Keen-Wah)
    Fats & Cholesterols:
     Milk
     Mayonnaise
     Coconut oil
     Olive oil
     Whole milk cheese
     Egg yolks
     Avocado
     Unsalted butter (100% butter not margarine)  Cream (heavy whipping cream)
     Nuts
    Greens:
     Kale
     Spinach
     Collards
     Bok choy
     Broccoli
     Mustard greens
    Vegetables:

 Pumpkin
     Zucchini
     Squash
     Soy beans
     Snap peas
     Lemon
     Bell peppers
     Brussels sprouts  Cauliflower
     Cabbage (green and purple)  Carrots
     String beans
     Ginger root
     Cucumber
     Tomato (technically a fruit)
    Fruits:
     Banana
     Tomato
     Blueberries (frozen is fine)
     Mango (frozen is fine)
     Pineapple (frozen is fine)
     Coconut (coconut water is fine)  Strawberries (frozen is fine)
     Peaches (frozen is fine)
    Spices:
     Clove
     Cilantro
     Cayenne
     Thyme
     Basil
     Rosemary
     Peppermint  Cinnamon

 Turmeric
     Chili powder
     Paprika
     Salt
     Ground black pepper
     Minced garlic or whole garlic  Onions
     Lemon pepper
     Oregano
     Jalapenos
     Siracha sauce
    DRINKS:
     Coffee
     Herbal teas
     Water (and lots of it)
     Coconut water
     Soy milk
     Almond milk
     Coconut milk
     Milk
     Orange juice or Apple juice (this is for smoothies)
    Sugars should be used as sugar in the raw or stevia. If you need sugar for coffee or tea you should limit yourself to 1 teaspoon per drink and calculate those sugars in your calories for the day.

Remember Abs start in the kitchen. And this is just a basic grocery list. I also have a break down list of what foods have what vitamins and minerals and what you need regularly, if you'd like just message me.

Don't buy into companies that sell you prepackaged meals, don't buy into slimfast or other meal replacement shakes - make your own, that way you have more control.

I do this on 50$ a week for two people (25$ each a week). So this is all available on a diet.

Just keep going, and remember why you started.

-Jonas

Holy Moly!! Most of this not necessary. And I can't imagine why in the world you would need to know someone else's shopping list. Though I must admit I'd like to see prices added to those items because I fine it very difficult to believe anyone anywhere can purchase all that for $25 or $50.

I think the list is a general suggested type of items list. I agree that I can't imagine all of those things for $25/$50 for two people, but I could easily shop from this list and feed myself for a week for about $25 (or maybe a bit more if I'm restocking a spice or cooking oil, etc).

Couldn't agree more that most of that advice is un-necessary, particular the vitamin/supplement suggestions and the affirmations/letting pain go stuff. Glad that worked for that person, but most of us found much simpler ways to approach the weight loss process.
  • rylieistrapgod
    rylieistrapgod Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    By eating less ive lost weight. By eating less and excercising ive loss 130 pounds in a year