Military Diet??

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'd lose very much living on MREs. :D

Right, each MRE is at least 1200 calories: http://hprc-online.org/comrad/

As others have said, this diet has nothing to do with the military.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Especially if they are similar to the UK ones, and intentionally "bung you up"
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

If you're rucking 5 miles or more in the morning and evening with full gear, You can still lose weight eating MREs
  • itsreneabitch
    itsreneabitch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm having much better luck with choosing my own foods than I did with this diet. I am at 1k calories a day right now and don't feel a bit tired like I was on the military diet. I think for me it was the type of carbs and the cholesterol that made it not as successful to me. For the first time I am actually content with my meal plans and I don't feel I have to look at it as any restriction.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    LexiAtel wrote: »
    I (ice cream is pretty much just junk, so you can exchange it for a healthier choice).

why is ice cream junk? its got all 3 macros,carbs,fat and protein.

Almost as good as Pizza!!!
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

If you're rucking 5 miles or more in the morning and evening with full gear, You can still lose weight eating MREs

I lost weight off of a primarily MRE diet over about 3 months once . . . but that was mostly because it truly came down to the very basic idea of food = fuel. I couldn't force myself to eat anything that wasn't absolutely necessary and barely finished one a day.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    LexiAtel wrote: »
    You don't starve yourself, not anymore than any harsh deficit plan. Infact, you are very likely to reach above the minimal amount of calories per day that is recommended by anyone on this site. On average, this diet will bring 1235-1300 a day (or possibly more, depending on the certain brands and sizes of the foods), if it is followed by the complete guide.

So why is there any need to follow the rules of the diet at all, why not just eat 1300 kcals of any food you like?

Because you kinda need an idea of what foods to eat and in what order. This diet starts you up on it (carbs/protein for breakfast/lunch and plenty of 'roughage" and protein at dinner). With a little smarts, you can choose to exchange things for better food (a lot of it ARE decent food choices, people are just turned off by it because it's a considered fad).

Upon my research, I have read several people claiming to lose the weight, keep it off, and learn better eating than what they were doing before. But these are the determined people, those who admit to going back eating 'bad' always gained it back-- like they would on any diet.

It's clear that some people haven't even read the main diet page though (perhaps just looked at the pictures, or read a list of food, skimmed it, or something, idk). Some of the comments leave me scratching my head. The jokes are what get me (and no its not only at this specific thread that I'm referring to, it's on all of the military diet topics-- I know, I read them all before trying the diet for myself).

I have also read all of the 'studies' and 'analysises' on them, and just like most 'critics' of this diet, they leave out the 4 1500 calorie days, and then say that it will starve you in the long run-- well, yeah, if you're where you should be weight wise, than any calorie deficit will starve you, even if you did include the extra 6000/week calories they fail to acknowledge.

FYI, as I stated before, the only thing I didn't like about this diet was the tuna and hotdogs, which I'm exchanging out for more preferable proteins, so, for me, after thoroughly researching everything about it, it has helped me start a default guide to follow which allows me to edit to my liking.

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised this thread made it to page 2 as this unhealthy diet is usually deleted when mentioned. I've ignored the forums for a while, so who knows. OP, don't freaking do it. MFP is here with calorie counts and a good database.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I'm surprised this thread made it to page 2 as this unhealthy diet is usually deleted when mentioned. I've ignored the forums for a while, so who knows. OP, don't freaking do it. MFP is here with calorie counts and a good database.

It's not unhealthy. The guide I saw says eat 1100-1300 for three days then 1500 for four days. The food sounds boring but not unhealthy.
  • LexiAtel
    Options
    Explain to me how it's anymore 'unhealthy' than any other 1200-1300 calorie deficit limitation?

It has plenty of fruit, carbs, and protein. It lacks dairy (other than sugar-loaded ice cream), but you can replace an egg or cheese or ice cream for yogurt or milk. Taking a multi-vitamin will help a lot to meet the vitimin requirements too.

I may replace an apple with a serving V8 Infusion juice.
  • Fit_fad
    Fit_fad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Military diet or any other crazy ones are a good kickstart if you are just starting. If you're close to your goal then it might be a waste of time. Good thing about this one is the icecream treats
  • LexiAtel
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Then all those studies based on how you should eat is incredibly useless.

Never mind that animals who eat slow and long all day (snacking on 'healthy' meals) always manage to stay lean.

Never mind that since as long as I could remember, breakfast has always been considered the most important meal of the day.

Or that you shouldn't eat so many hours before bed.

All these have no merit? I can't believe everyone of them is a myth.

You can lose weight by eating your calories all at once, but that doesn't make it the healthiest way-- and with the whole 'are you going to do this for the rest of your life' argument should have more grounds to my point then: are you really going to eat all your calories at once for the rest of your life? What are the chances of gaining it all back.

If all you had to do was eat a certain amount of calories to lose, gain, or survive, we'd all be eating junkfood, because that's yummeh. You can lose, yes, but your body still needs certain things to remain healthy, and just saying "eat the good stuff" is not really a good method to follow-- why diet at all then? You're supposed to be changing your eating habits, not JUST your intake amount.

It's been stated that this diet really poses no harm to your health (which some don't even seem to care about their health anyway) nor is there the arguement that you won't lose weight doing it, so really, the only reason people don't like it is because it's considered a fad-- most already agree that the 'chemistry' behind it is bull, take that out, and what do you have? A meal plan. Nothing more.

Like it or hate, that's just the gist of it.