Military Diet??

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    LexiAtel wrote: »
    Then all those studies based on how you should eat is incredibly useless.

Never mind that animals who eat slow and long all day (snacking on 'healthy' meals) always manage to stay lean.

Never mind that since as long as I could remember, breakfast has always been considered the most important meal of the day.

Or that you shouldn't eat so many hours before bed.

All these have no merit? I can't believe everyone of them is a myth.

They are. Animals who graze all day stay lean because grass/tree leaves/etc have basically almost no calories. They're also usually big animals (cows and giraffes come to mind) so they need a lot of calories. Breakfast is not 'the most important meal of the day' because meal timing is personal and has no effect on weight loss. Eating early makes me feel sick, so I don't eat breakfast. And again, eat just before you sleep if you want, it makes no difference to weight loss (though it might give you indigestion).

You keep substituting things out, so are you really even doing the military diet at this point? If it's just about teaching you to eat protein, fat and carbs in the right amounts, why not just... pick a protein, a carb and a healthy fat and eat those, staying at the right calorie amounts? Why not pick a pre-made diet which is more backed by science and nutritionists? Those diets are out there by the hundreds. The military diet is really not a well thought out or well balanced diet plan. All the benefits you describe can be found in different pre-made diets which also have the plus of being designed by dietitians/nutritionists/scientists etc and being well balanced. I don't understand why you'd go for the military diet when there are others which don't have any of its drawbacks.

They also walk 10-20 miles a day...

SO!!! if you walk constantly for all your waking hours, you can eat whatever you want.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm giving the lurkers some accurate info: after all that has been said about it, there are only a few things that the nay-sayers say about it (which have also been condradicted by other nay-sayers):

1. That you'll starve

But you wont, cause if you follow it for the seven days like you're suppose to, you'll clear just under 1300/day calories in a week.

2. It's not a diet used in the military.

If anyone had bothered reading into it, it's named purely on the discipline you need to follow through.

3. You'll gain the weight back.

The only people who have been said to gain it back are those who go back to eating the thousands of calories they were eating before (junkfood, junkfood, junkfood, guess the daily ice cream was not enough)-- they'd gain back with any diet at that point. If it's still a calorie deficit, and if you stick to it, how can you gain the weight back?

4. It's not healthy.

Most calories diets under 1500/day arent, you'll never meet all the macros your body needs.

5. Why not eat what you want?

You can, if you actually looked it up, you can make a lot of changes to it, you just need to research a little.

And some people like hotdogs, eggs, tuna, and cottage cheese.

6. There's no chemistry involved.

While I don't believe THIS diet has it down to a science, in our world, everything falls down to chemistry, so I do believe there is a combination of foods out there that could definitely cut fat out of your body faster than others-- who knows what it really is though, we may never know.

My supporting arguement is: this CAN get you STARTED to a road of healthier eating. There's nothing wrong with eating lean meats, fruits and veggies. If you feel something in it is out of wack, then edit it. No one's stopping you. I'm not saying it'll work better than anything out there, I'm saying that it's giving a base idea of what to go on.

Instantly trashing it because it's a fad is not supplying anything for your arguement. If it works, who cares if it's a fad?

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    While I don't believe THIS diet has it down to a science, in our world, everything falls down to chemistry, so I do believe there is a combination of foods out there that could definitely cut fat out of your body faster than others-- who knows what it really is though, we may never know.

But we do know, because science. Of course nutrition plays a part in health, but for weight loss it is fact how that occurs.

I've seen this is called the "military diet" because people used it as a crash diet to "make weight", this is not how people in the military or any other physically demanding field eat. It is not intended as a long-term way of eating. That is why these gimmicks do not work for long-term results, it does not teach anyone anything about how to maintain or eat for the long-term, it is all about short-term result.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to be changing your eating habits, not JUST your intake amount.

Actually, your intake amount is ALL you have to change. You can change to different foods (and probably will) to get more satiety, nutrients, etc. but in the end, it's about eating fewer calories than you burn. All the crazy food combinations won't change that fact.
  • LexiAtel
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Then all you need to do is eat 9,000 calories once a week-- it'll average out in the end.

You'll probably feel like crap, but the science is there.

If calorie really was all that matters, you could just eat a bunch of pork fat at a calorie deficit and not lose an ounch of muscle.
  • LexiAtel
    Options
    Wanted to give an update.

I started this on the 16th (of May) and recorded my weight at 161lb. By the 23rd (last Tuesday), I lost 3lb. That's when I decided that I should measure.

Last Friday (the 26th of May) was when the 2nd three day cycle was over, and I had lost 3 inches around the waist and a total of 3lb (158lb down to 155lb) since that Tuesday (the 23rd; three days before)

Today, on the 30th of May, I measured/weighed again:

I did not lose anymore pounds from this last Friday, but I did lose an inch off my hips, an inch off my thigh, and inch off my ribs and also an inch off my bust. Strangely, I grew an inch around my waist, so I'm not sure if my fat has shifted (doubtful), or if I'm retaining water (I hurt my ankle real bad last week, so I haven't been drinking like I should to avoid the excessive amount if bathroom trips).

So in two weeks I have lost a healthy six pounds (161 to 155) and a few inches of fat here and there from my body (2 inches from both the waist and ribs and an inch each from the hips, thighs, bust)-- I'm also a size smaller. My bodyfat has also gone from 34.2 percent down to 33.5 percent.

People have even begun to notice my slimming shape and have commented on it.

It wouldn't hurt you to try this for a month just to see.

• leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    a big N O
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Wanted to give an update.

I started this on the 16th (of May) and recorded my weight at 161lb. By the 23rd (last Tuesday), I lost 3lb. That's when I decided that I should measure.

Last Friday (the 26th of May) was when the 2nd three day cycle was over, and I had lost 3 inches around the waist and a total of 3lb (158lb down to 155lb) since that Tuesday (the 23rd; three days before)

Today, on the 30th of May, I measured/weighed again:

I did not lose anymore pounds from this last Friday, but I did lose an inch off my hips, an inch off my thigh, and inch off my ribs and also an inch off my bust. Strangely, I grew an inch around my waist, so I'm not sure if my fat has shifted (doubtful), or if I'm retaining water (I hurt my ankle real bad last week, so I haven't been drinking like I should to avoid the excessive amount if bathroom trips).

So in two weeks I have lost a healthy six pounds (161 to 155) and a few inches of fat here and there from my body (2 inches from both the waist and ribs and an inch each from the hips, thighs, bust)-- I'm also a size smaller. My bodyfat has also gone from 34.2 percent down to 33.5 percent.

People have even begun to notice my slimming shape and have commented on it.

It wouldn't hurt you to try this for a month just to see.

So you lost 6 lbs in a month. Do you know how else you could have lost 6 lbs in a month? By eating literally any food that added up to the number of calories that gives you a 750 calorie deficit.

:D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I'm surprised this thread made it to page 2 as this unhealthy diet is usually deleted when mentioned. I've ignored the forums for a while, so who knows. OP, don't freaking do it. MFP is here with calorie counts and a good database.

The mods deleted military diet threads when they thought it was a VLCD. Then someone did the math and pointed out it wasn't actually Very Low (just low), so they've been leaving them up since.