Is diet coke good for you?

Options

Replies

• rolenthegreat
    rolenthegreat Posts: 78 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The thing about 'diet' foodstuffs (at least here in America) is that most of them are not truely zero calories. The FDA allows companies to put '0 calories' on the package as long as it has less than 5 calories per serving.
    So there are usually 1-4 calories in most calorie free things.

Which isn't going to have an affect on the average consumer's weight loss.

But if you ARE using massive numbers of 'zero' calorie substitutes in your diet and find that you've plateaued, it might be a good idea to reassess the situation. If you are drinking 50 diet cokes every day I might argue there are already some issues with your diet.
    (Personally I log them as '4 calories'.)

that means that one would have to drink 100 diet cokes a week to see a weekly increase of 400 calories per week from consuming diet soda..

seems a hair ludicrous to me..

Yeah, like I said, it isn't going to have an affect on the average consumer.

But I HAVE known people who drank more than 100 diet cokes in a week. I may have been there myself until I stopped & counted it up. I worked at a place with a soda machine, refills were free. A big-gulp (I think they were around 40oz) when I got to work & another one on the way home, and usually top it off at lunch time... I was probably averaging at least 90-100 servings of soda/diet soda a week. (I frequently stopped in on my off days to refill for free :s ) At the time it didn't seem super outrageous to me because a several of my co-workers were drinking more than I was. I was in school, it was mindless calories/caffeine pick me up, I barely even thought about it because I always had one sitting next to me. Yes it is excessive, no most people will not have a problem with it (I certainly don't anymore). But I do think it's something to keep in mind if you use a lot of calorie free substitutes. It's not going to make you lose 50lbs, but if you are close to your goal it might be keeping you on that plateau.

Also like I said I do think it's kind of a questionable dietary decision to consume that much of anything.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    linsey0689 wrote: »
    It's not good for you. But I think trying to cut out everything is not good. A couple a week IMO is okay

why is it not "good" for you?

I think they mean it doesn't add nutritional benefit (vitamins, minerals or macro).

Neither does water. Yet I don't hear people claiming that water is "bad for you".

Never said they did. I was merely explaining a potential reason for an comment.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Studies have found that those who drink diet soda consume more calories total than those who consume regular soda. It seems to confuse the body's hunger response. If you have no weight problems it won't hurt you, but why would you drink it if you had no weight problems, since it tastes nasty?

Myself and many others here have lost weight and maintained while drinking diet soda. I drink it because I prefer to save my calories for food.

Do what works for you. Your experience is not typical. Look it up. Or ignore science, no skin off my nose. But there is actual evidence that for most people swapping to diet soda does not lead to weight loss.

And you can add me to the growing list of people who have never had diet soda 'trigger the body's hunger response'. Heck, I pretty much never crave sugar and I drink plenty of diet soda. I've also lost over 130 lbs. Like others have stated, correlation and causation are not the same thing and I'm pretty sure those claiming diet coke makes them want to dive into a pool of sugar are the ones with the 'not typical' experience.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    linsey0689 wrote: »
    It's not good for you. But I think trying to cut out everything is not good. A couple a week IMO is okay

why is it not "good" for you?

I think they mean it doesn't add nutritional benefit (vitamins, minerals or macro).

Neither does water. Yet I don't hear people claiming that water is "bad for you".

Never said they did. I was merely explaining a potential reason for an comment.

Understood. I didn't intend that to sound argumentative, it was more of an add-on to your point.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    it's good for me.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's good for me. Gives me a kick in the *kitten* and stops me from gnawing off my own arm twice per day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To add for those who suggest to drink water because its "better". You can do both. In fact, i probably drink more water than most, roughly 150+ oz a day. Also, i drink 40 oz of diet dew.

Just like food, getting a variety of drinks can be beneficial.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    No it's not good for you, it has artificial crap in it. No it will not cause you to gain weight as it has 0 calories.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,994 Member
    Options
    I don't have a graph but a well known link is that ice cream sales and drownings increase and decrease simultaneously.

Therefore ice cream causes drowning, like diet sodas cause obesity.

Oh hang on........there might be another explanation.........
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Studies have found that those who drink diet soda consume more calories total than those who consume regular soda. It seems to confuse the body's hunger response. If you have no weight problems it won't hurt you, but why would you drink it if you had no weight problems, since it tastes nasty?
    Link the studies. Almost every obese person I've dealt with drank regular soda.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    From what I recall, there are potential issues with very high levels of consumption of artificial sweeteners like aspartame. But that's 2 litres plus of Diet Coke consumption EVERY DAY before things get concerning. Or something like that. (No, I don't have the links to the studies. But I think the aspartame-not-being-massively-good-for-you-in-large-quantities is relatively well known, right?)

I had weird issues from Diet Cherry Coke about 10 years ago, but normal Diet Coke is fine. And Diet Dr Pepper is totes amazeballs.

My dentist keeps telling me it's bad for my enamel though, because of the acidity even though there's no sugar. I tend to ignore him :D
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    From what I recall, there are potential issues with very high levels of consumption of artificial sweeteners like aspartame. But that's 2 litres plus of Diet Coke consumption EVERY DAY before things get concerning. Or something like that. (No, I don't have the links to the studies. But I think the aspartame-not-being-massively-good-for-you-in-large-quantities is relatively well known, right?)

I had weird issues from Diet Cherry Coke about 10 years ago, but normal Diet Coke is fine. And Diet Dr Pepper is totes amazeballs.

My dentist keeps telling me it's bad for my enamel though, because of the acidity even though there's no sugar. I tend to ignore him :D

As far as I remember it's based on a rat study (which I tend to take with a HUGE grain of salt since it's hard to translate those results to humans) and the quantities to be ingested are a few factors higher than 2L of diet coke per day (closer to 20L, but I don't have the numbers in head right now).

• ivylyon
    ivylyon Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you take stock of how it affects you.

As others have said: there's no calorific value.
    Some studies/rumours suggest the sweet taste but lack of calories confuses the body and increases cravings for sweetness. So be aware of your own response.
    It does have caffeine which may disrupt sleep. Tiredness can cause cravings. Again, be aware of it yourself, go for caffeine free if it bothers you.

There's no sugar but the high acidity can damage your teeth enamel or upset your stomach

In terms of diet, no calorie, fizzy liquid so will fill you up... But it's full of flavours and colours and sweetners.

If it stops you drinking full sugar Coke, or other calorific drinks, then good. But if it's instead of water, then consider trying to limit it.

Try fizzy water or flavour water with lemon or peppermint or whatever you fancy

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

As far as I remember it's based on a rat study (which I tend to take with a HUGE grain of salt since it's hard to translate those results to humans) and the quantities to be ingested are a few factors higher than 2L of diet coke per day (closer to 20L, but I don't have the numbers in head right now).

It's somewhere close to that. It's a sufficient level that by the time the aspartame starts having a negative effect, either the caffeine or the fluid imbalance will have killed you.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Here's the kicker: in that study, the rats got cancer at a rate LOWER than what they normally do. Still well within the margin of error - so it's not like the aspartame was a cancer preventative - but it showed that aspartame was no more a carcinogen than anything else in the world.